Tell me about the "Kingdom Interlinear Translation Bible? Same as NWT?

by hubert 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hubert
    hubert

I was talking to a friend, who said that the j.w.'s used (or wrote)? a Bible called "The Kingdom Interlinear Bible" before they wrote the "New World Translation Bible".

She also told me there were differences in the translations of some of these scriptures.

Can anyone tell me which scriptures are different?

If so, is this an important find?

How many years did they use this Bible before they changed to the NWT?

Hubert

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

It looks the same to me, but under the Greek text they also give a literal translation, which is completely useless for most people.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The Greek text used in the KIT is the Westcott and Hort text, which is a legitimate, standard Christian Greek text (though somewhat outdated). The interlinear translation gives the meaning of each word in Greek, and the column on the right side of the page provides the NWT version. It is a useful work in exposing JW teachings, since there are many places in which the literal Greek does not agree with the NWT rendering. John 17:3 comes right to mind.

Incidentally, the KIT was not translated before the NWT. The NWT was released in a series of volumes between 1950 and 1960, being collected in a single edition in 1961. The earliest version of the KIT was released in 1969.

• hubert
    hubert
    John 17:3 comes right to mind.

Neon, I just read the passage in the KJV and the NWT, and I don't see the difference.

Can you show me difference in these two Bible translations?

Hubert

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The scripture translated "Whatever you ask in my name will be given you" actually says " whatever you ask me in my name will be given you" in the greek.

Also where the great crowd is standing is the "divine dwelling habitation" (ie heaven, where all the others are said to be.

Just saying that the NWT correctly translates a verse such and such doesn't make it so.

HB

• hubert
    hubert
    The scripture translated "Whatever you ask in my name will be given you" actually says " whatever you ask me in my name will be given you" in the greek.

I think I see what you mean, Hamsterbait. "Even though it isn't a significant change, if you don't translated it CORRECTLY, it isn't a true statement.

Is that the point?

Hubert

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

hamsterbait, this has to do with the "Westcott&Hort"-text. Other texts support the NWT translation in this case.

• Honesty
    Honesty

A comparison of the Greek in the entire 8th Chapter of John (KIL) with the NWT translation, the KJV, NIV, ASB, HCSB and many other translations exposes the WT lie at John 8:58.

• marsal
    marsal

hubert,

The NWT translates John 17:3 as "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ."

Other translations (in this case, the NIV) translate it as "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."

The difference is "knowing" which is personal and intimate vs. merely "taking in knowledge".

• hubert
    hubert

Thanks, Marsal. I think I see the difference.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit