Idaho Girl Found With Registered Sex Offender Out on Bail on MN Charge

by blondie 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• blondie
    blondie

Do you wonder what is happening with the legal system?

Duncan, 42, had an outstanding warrant for failing to register as a high-risk sex offender and was facing charges of molesting a 6-year-old boy in Minnesota. He had been released on bail in April, just weeks before the children disappeared.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8443793/

Family reunited with long-missing Idaho girl
    Sex offender held in custody; brother, 9, feared dead The Associated Press Updated: 1:18 a.m. ET July 3, 2005

COEUR D’ALENE, Idaho - More than six weeks after she disappeared from a home where family members were bludgeoned to death, an 8-year-old girl was found safe Saturday, sharing a meal with a registered sex offender at a Denny’s restaurant in her hometown.

Shasta Groene was reunited with her father, but her 9-year-old brother, Dylan, remained missing and was feared dead, Kootenai County Sheriff’s Capt. Ben Wolfinger said.

“Our initial information is that he may be deceased,” Wolfinger said, adding that officials were continuing the search for him. He said investigators believe Dylan was alive when the children disappeared.

Joseph Edward Duncan III, a registered sex offender from Fargo, N.D., was arrested and charged with kidnapping. He was being held without bond, and Wolfinger said more charges were possible.

Duncan, 42, had an outstanding warrant for failing to register as a high-risk sex offender and was facing charges of molesting a 6-year-old boy in Minnesota. He had been released on bail in April, just weeks before the children disappeared.

Waitress: ‘It clicked in my brain’
    Shasta was spotted by a waitress early Saturday just miles from the home where her mother, older brother and mother’s boyfriend were discovered bound and bludgeoned to death on May 16.

Amber Deahn, 24, said she thought she recognized the girl eating onion rings, cheese sticks and chicken strips with an older man. Shasta’s picture has been posted around town and shown in the media.

“It clicked in my brain that she looks familiar,” she said.

Deahn tried to keep the pair at the restaurant longer by giving the girl crayons, coloring paper and a mask from the movie “Madagascar,” and offering the girl dessert.

“I was trying to figure out a way to keep them there so the officers would have time to get there,” she said.

It was not yet known where the girl had spent the past six weeks. She was being interviewed at a medical center but appeared physically well.

“She’s a little girl,” Wolfinger said. “Obviously she’s been through a pretty traumatic time.”

Shasta’s relatives ‘more than relieved’
    Shasta’s father, Steve Groene, and her oldest brother, Vance, spent Saturday at a hospital with Shasta. They did not make any statements to reporters, but when asked when he was driving away from the hospital if he was relieved, Vance Groene said, “more than relieved.”

Tom Kraus, Brenda Groene’s great-uncle in Whitefish, Mont., said family members were elated by the news.

“Obviously, we were very excited they found Shasta,” Kraus said. “We are hopeful they can find Dylan. We’re very happy those folks at Denny’s recognized her and that they found her.”

Dylan and Shasta had been missing since at least May 16, when sheriff’s deputies responded to their rural home after a neighbor reported that dogs were barking and the door of one vehicle was open but no one was in sight.

The deputies found the bound bodies of Brenda Groene, 40, Slade Groene, 13, and Mark McKenzie, 37. The victims were bound and then bludgeoned to death.

Investigators had interviewed hundreds of people, searched through 800 tons of trash and fielded more than 2,000 tips. It was not known whether Duncan had a connection with the victims.

“We don’t have any idea who Duncan is, other than a very, very sick individual. Sick and stupid to go to a Denny’s at 2 a.m. with a child,” Bob Price, Shasta Groene’s paternal uncle, said by telephone from Tacoma, Wash.

Neighbor says Duncan ‘seemed normal’Police were seeking a warrant to search a stolen red Jeep that officials said Duncan had been driving. In Fargo, officers were securing Duncan’s apartment in a neighborhood where a number of North Dakota State University students live, police Sgt. Shannon Ruziska said.

Duncan, whose criminal history dates back to 1980, enrolled at the university in 2000, majoring in computer science, and made the dean’s list. When he moved to Fargo, more than 300 people attended a community notification meeting.

Kerstin Haugen, who lives in an apartment building next door, said she had not seen Duncan for several months. Police stopped by looking for him, she said.

“He seemed normal,” Haugen said. She said she was not aware that he was a registered sex offender when she first moved in, but found out later from neighbors. She said he kept to himself.

Ruziska said police were doing quarterly checks on Duncan.

“The call from Idaho was a surprise to us,” Ruziska said.

Criminal history dating to 1980Duncan was convicted in 1980 of raping a 14-year-old boy in Washington state when he was 16.

Last July, he was accused of molesting a 6-year-old boy at a school playground in Minnesota. He had been released by Becker County, Minn., authorities in April on $15,000 bond and ordered to stay in touch with a probation agent. In May, authorities said they were seeking Duncan on a warrant after he failed to do so.

Becker County Attorney Joseph Evans did not immediately return a call Saturday seeking comment.

Minnesota has moved to crack down on sex offenders since the slaying of college student Dru Sjodin across the state line in North Dakota. A sex offender from Minnesota is accused in the slaying.

A federal law creating a Web site with state-by-state information on sex offenders was inspired in part by the Sjodin case. © 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8443793/

• Gill
    Gill

Hi blondie!

I find it interesting that in the UK we are not allowed to know who sex offenders are and who's on the register because of fear of vigilante behaviour. (Idiots even managed to attack the home of a paediatrician, since they were too stupid to understand the difference between paediatrician and paedophile! But that's education in the UK, I'm afraid.)

Do you not get vigilante behaviour against these offenders in the US when the neighbours find out who and what they are?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Idiots even managed to attack the home of a paediatrician, since they were too stupid to understand the difference between paediatrician and paedophile!

You have GOT to be kidding! Those morons need to be locked up for being unlawfully STUPID.

• Panda
    Panda

WOW We were watching this unravel on TV yesterday. MrP called me into the living room to hear about the sex offenses since this guy was 16! I wouldn't mind some vigillante violence against him.

• blondie
    blondie
    Do you not get vigilante behaviour against these offenders in the US when the neighbours find out who and what they are?

Names are posted but not addresses. The way things are in most areas of the US, we don't know the names of most of our neighbors. Life is busy and people try not to be nosy. As you notice in the article, there was nothing in this guy's appearance that alerted his neighbors.

I haven't heard of any vigilante problems. I'm in contact with the people who handle the register in this area and they don't give out addresses nor in Minnesota.

I supposed if their name is unique and they can be found in an address search engine or if you want to pay some money to have it researched you could get the address.

The issue is not if the neighbors knew but that the legal system knew and were only checking up on him once every 3 months and he was out on bail for molesting a 6-year-old boy. I wonder what kind of bail system Idaho has now that he has killed so many people?

Blondie

• Gill
    Gill

I'm surprised there's no effort put into tracking these paedophiles a little more closely. Perhaps, sadly, there are far, far too many of them.

Elsewhere - The lady paediatrician, whose home was attacked, (she lived in Wales) resigned her post at the hospital she worked at and moved away from where she was MUCH needed. She said she was sick to death of the stupidity of the parents of children she was having to treat everyday, their rudeness and ignorance, and this vigilante frenzy that they had one summer in the UK, (people on council estates picking on anyone they suspected of being a sex offender) had been the last straw for her.

Personally, I believe that kids should be trained to trust NO ONE at all and learn to be as naughty and say NO as loud as possible. Though a little annoyed, I'm always impressed when my kids rebel and REFUSE point blank to do anything I ask and shout NO at me. Glad to see they've got it in them. I was also pleased with my little girls school report in which I was told she was stubborn and an adamant individual. Good training or what?!

• blondie
    blondie
    I'm surprised there's no effort put into tracking these paedophiles a little more closely. Perhaps, sadly, there are far, far too many of them.

In one state, 8 people track 12,000 offenders; but this man was let on on bail when he was already a registered sex offender. Evidently $15,000 is the price put on the this little 6 year old boy's future life. Drug dealers have higher bails.

True, teach your children that no one is safe; unfortunately 60% of those molesting are close family members.

Blondie

• Gill
    Gill

Could it be that sexual offences are just NOT taken seriously by anyone in the law profession unless serious violence assault also takes place and life is in jeopardy, as they see it.

In the UK, there is really NO POINT in reporting rape or sexual assault, especially for a woman. The sentences are also derisory for all sexual assaults.

Perhaps its a mental block thing that the law profession is not willing to put in the effort and the judges are unwilling to give the sentences that can be given.

In the UK we had the case of the school caretaker with a LONG track record of rapes and sexual assaults against young girls who still managed to continue to escape justice until he killed two little school girls. Crazy! I don't doubt there are still a few like him out there. The police just do not have the man power to track these offenders and the government continues to turn a blind eye to the polices financial difficulties.

YET, the UK government is wealthy enough to go throwing millions upon millions into bidding for the Olympic games. And they say that only Africa's governments are stupid and corrupt!

• blondie
    blondie

Gill, if you watched the US news you would think that it is mostly little white girls who go missing. The media pick the victims that will attract viewers. I give one news outlet credit, when that was pointed out they did do a story on a black girl that had been missing a year without any notice by the media.

The laws against drug trafficking are stronger than the ones against sex offenders. Drug offenders are making lots of money and the government is not getting their cut through taxes. Sex offenders are not affecting the government economically. They don't see children as a precious commodity as they do the almighty dollar.

Those that make the laws are singuarly ignorant of the psychology of a pedophile, how it affects their victims long after they grow up and their children and their children. How pedophiles over their lifetime molest over 100 children. Instead of the one or two child victims that come to light, the judge and legislators should see 100 children standing there.

The blood of those people lies at the foot of whoever let that man out on bail for $15,000 and had him monitored only every 3 months. People are so worried about the so-called rights of the pedophile that the rights of children are violated.

Blondie

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

Problems:

Few parents report, unless the molest results in obvious physical injury or death

Few children make good witnesses in a criminal trial, as they are traumatized and scared

Few prosecutors retain human warmth toward the victims of such crimes, because they've seen so many and can't emotionally invest in each case

Few families report family members who molest

Few lawmakers are passionate about higher sentencing guidelines for repeat offenders

Few perpetrators are 'healed' or 'cured' of sexual deviancy; recidivism is extremely high

Few survivors reach adulthood and are then able to pursue justice, as applicable Statutes of Limitation have run...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit