Kinesiology - what is the current stand? (Any elders?)

by ithinkisee 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I don't feel like pretending I have genuine concern to go to a local elder and ask ... so I ask YOU ...

What is the deal with kinesiology as far as JWs? The 94 WT where they talk about it sounds generally like the answer is NO.

Everything I read about the origins are traced back to some Chiropractor who supposedly had occult origins ...

But almost all JWs I know have something to do with it ...

Is it just a typical JW non-sequitor?

-ithinkisee

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

According to my handy dandy online dictionary,

-------------

ki·ne·si·ol·o·gy

(ki n"Ås" olÆÃ j", -z"-, k#-), n.

the science dealing with the interrelationship of the physiological processes and anatomy of the human body with respect to movement.

[1890–95; < Gk k€n

"si(s) movement (see KINESIS) + -O- + -LOGY]

-------------

It is difficult for me to imagine that the WTS has taken a stand AGAINST the science of human movement, but who knows?

Obviously not me.

• blondie
    blondie

I'm not an elder but if I were reading the article, I would say it depends.

Not everything called kinesiology is the same kind of treatment.

w94 12/15 p. 20 A Health Test for You? ***
    Certain modes of testing the strength or response of muscles are part of conventional medicine, and few would question their validity. For example, poliomyelitis can weaken muscles, and therapy for this may involve what is called kinesiology—"the study of muscles and muscular movement." Such kinesiology is also used in rehabilitative therapy for stroke victims. Most people would understand such treatment.

But the if it is not part of conventional medicine

But what of the muscle testing described in the letter at the start of this article? This sort of "kinesiology" has been used in an attempt to find out whether certain foods, herbs, or vitamins might help or harm a person.
    Some who have tried this believe it works and that the effect is based on forces within the body. They reason that there are many things that modern science cannot explain but that occur or can be observed. Thus, they claim that there might be lines of energy or interaction between forces and substances, even if physicians have not yet discovered or accepted these.
    Applied Kinesiology states: "Sometimes [books] teach that chemical substances, such as nutrition, are evaluated by holding the substance in the hand and testing the muscle. There is no evidence that suggests any reliability in this type of testing. . . . A philosophic attitude can be so strong that operator prejudice interferes with obtaining accurate information in the testing process." "An examiner who is experienced in manual muscle testing can easily make a subject’s muscle appear weak or strong at his discretion by simply changing the . . . test very slightly."
    Likely, many who do such muscle testing (kinesiology) would say that their practice differs from what was just described, that no spiritism is involved, or that they do no emotional testing. Nevertheless, is what they do still based on a belief in forces within each human that can be tested or seen only by certain people claiming special powers?

I think the key here is whether it is considered part of conventional medicine. Since the early days when Woodsworth was the editor of the Consolation (Golden Age too?), members of the WTS have pursued outlandish medical treatments while avoiding conventional medicine, such as vaccinations.

I have know several JWs (including elders and elders wives, COs and COs wives) who have pursued many questionable medical treatments; one where the practitioners by moving their hands about 2 inches above the person's body could diagnosis and treat illnesses; all without an MD. As far as I know, they were not disciplined in any way by the BOE.

So strange for a group of people that are conditioned to think that blood transfusions are dangerous medicine and not proven to be helpful and then to turn to medical treatments that have at best a few personal testimonies that are not scientifically verifiable.

Blondie

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

This same article quoted above by Blondie ends with this:

Again, each individual must resolve what to do regarding such personal matters. Yet, Christians should remember God’s counsel: "Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps." (Proverbs 14:15) That applies to health claims too.

Satan is eager to distract God’s servants from true worship. The Devil would rejoice if he could do so by getting Christians fascinated with other interests. He would be even more delighted if they became fascinated with things that are, or seem to be, uncanny practices that might draw them into spiritism.—1 Peter 5:8.

Though Christians are not under the Mosaic Law, Jehovah God’s attitude toward occult practices has not changed. As noted earlier, God commanded the Israelites that "anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, or one who binds others with a spell" was not to be found among them. "Everybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah . . . You should prove yourself faultless with Jehovah."—Deuteronomy 18:10-13.

How wise it is, then, for Christians today to keep on "the complete suit of armor from God . . . because we have a wrestling . . . against the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places"!—Ephesians 6:11, 12.

In addition kinesiology was roundly condemned at the 2004 District Convention, Satuday 2:35 PM part "Keep Your Senses Completely" My notes record that:

Knesiology related to auras and electrical fields

(Isa1:13 "New moon and sabbath, the calling of a convention—I cannot put up with the [use of] uncanny power along with the solemn assembly.")

Uncanny power = anything eerie, weird, mysterious. Is practice of spiritism. Focus on real solution.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

****Focus on real solution.
    Ah...that must mean 5 meetings a week, bible study, and field service. That cures everything.....DOH!
    LOL

• luna2
    luna2
    blondie said: So strange for a group of people that are conditioned to think that blood transfusions are dangerous medicine and not proven to be helpful and then to turn to medical treatments that have at best a few personal testimonies that are not scientifically verifiable.

If they have a distrust of authority figures in general and of the medical community in particular (mainly because of the reaction to JW no-blood policies), it sort of makes sense that they'd embrace these alternative medical treatments. There is almost a feeling that conventional medicine is so hidebound and arrogant that it won't accept something new or different from what is taught in medical schools.

Ugh...I'm not expressing this well. LOL sorry.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I knew an elder who was educated as a kinesiologist. 4 years of university, never heard of "auras" being a part of it. Kinesiologists design shoes for God's sake!

• blondie
    blondie
    knew an elder who was educated as a kinesiologist. 4 years of university, never heard of "auras" being a part of it. Kinesiologists design shoes for God's sake!

The WTS recognizes that there is a type of kinesiology/ist that is recognized as conventional medicine, with proper training and licensing.

What they are addressing are people who claim to have the special power of reading your medical needs my putting theiir hands above your body, deciphering your electric aura. I know of several JWs who have gone to these type of people (some even JWs themselves).

I think what the WTS is addressing is this kind not what that elder did.

Blondie

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

The WTBS has pretty much demonized anyone who has specific skills greater than their own. Scientists = tools of Satan. Doctors = Blood Transfusion Worshippers. Psychiatry professionals = Vampires. Lawyers = scoundrels.
    The society blasts these folks as weak humans schooled in the way of Satan. Isn't God better? This tightens the control. Demean the people most likely to help Dub's. Why do you think there are so many "alternative" med worshipping Dubs? The society tells them that doctors & nurses know nothing and cannot be trusted. They act as if when you go in for a check up the doctor is going to try and give you a blood transfusion.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I haven't heard of kinesiology being bad by the society but do remember an article condemning Reiki (spelling) Therapy as being linked with spiritism. But isn't Reiki what the ones who use their hands above a body for healing energy do?

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit