Witness Convention Banta fodder - lose your music career + go fulltime!

by Dogpatch 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Satisfaction beyond music Amelia couple will share its story during this weekend's Jehovah's Witnesses' meeting BY ALBERTA LINDSEY TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Saturday, July 2, 2005

Matt Tucciarone's music career was starting to take off when he ditched it because it was in the way of something else he wanted to do -- spend more time on church work.

"A lot of the music business conflicted with my religious beliefs," said the drummer and producer, who was baptized into Jehovah's Witnesses in 1987.

Back then, Tucciarone and his wife, Debbie, a singer and songwriter, lived in Hollywood, Calif.

Before moving to the West Coast, Debbie Tucciarone was a singer with bands in the Richmond area.

Now the couple has a ceramic tile business in Amelia and serve as full-time ministers in Jehovah's Witnesses. Music is their hobby rather than a livelihood.

The Tucciarones talked about their lifestyle changes Thursday afternoon after helping set up the Richmond Coliseum for this weekend's Jehovah's Witnesses' meeting.

A total of about 32,000 people are expected to attend the denomination's four district conventions, which began last weekend and will continue for this and the next two weekends.

The meetings, which are free and open to the public, begin at 9:30 a.m. Friday and conclude at 4:30 p.m. Sunday.

Tucciarone will tell his story during today's 2 p.m. session.

Ron Sledd, who worships at the Amelia Congregation, said the Tucciarones are examples of this year's convention theme, "Godly Obedience."

Although Matt and Debbie went to Hollywood in the early 1980s hoping to make it big in music, they didn't meet until 1987, while attending a Bible study.

"Within 11 months, we were baptized and married," Debbie said. They moved to Richmond five years ago and to Amelia a year ago.

The couple settled in Amelia because few Jehovah's Witnesses live there, leaving more opportunity to witness.

The couple could have kept on with their music careers, but "we wanted to be more involved in Jehovah's Witnesses," Matt said. "I have friends in the entertainment world who are Jehovah's Witnesses."

They have tried to simplify their lives and reduce their expenses. They don't have things like cable television.

"It's more in keeping with the Bible's counsel to keep a simple life," Debbie said. "It's a good way of life. It reduces stress and I feel it's a more purposeful life."

Matt added: "It's a very uncomplicated life. We can focus on the ministry. To me that's what a simple life is."

Debbie said she had wanted to be a songwriter to uplift people. "But a Bible study is a better way to uplift people. It's a better way to help people than to hope that they listen to your songs. I wanted to learn what was God's will and just do it and see where that would lead me."

Although leaving the music industry was a hard decision, Matt said, he's never doubted it was the right decision.

"I wasn't unhappy. I just knew I couldn't pursue Jehovah's Witnesses like I wanted to," he said.

"I didn't have any friends that weren't musicians. I was very narrow minded. Leaving really made me a more rounded person. I became a better person. Less selfish. In the entertainment business, the focus is on you. In Jehovah's Witnesses, it's what you can do for others." Contact Alberta Lindsey at (804) 649-6754 or [email protected]

• Ticker
    Ticker

Just another countless example of people giving up their lives and dreams in pursuit of the pipe dream that the watchtower uses as a carrot to manipulate people for their own means. Too bad but probably one day this couple will wake up and realize they took the bait hook line and sinker, but by then any chance of fullfilling their musical dreams will be vanished, only to be replaced by bitterness for the Org. due to its influence on their life decisions. A good example of the org sticking its nose where it dont belong in peoples lives and another case of a sucker being born every minute. Sad so Sad.

Ticker

• carla
    carla

A question- why do so many of these articles refer to the kh/wt as a 'church'? I thought the wt was quite opposed to being called a church. carla

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

This phrase shows exactly what the mindset is and they dont even see it. They pursue an organization called Jehovahs Witnesses. NOT GOD. ------>>>>>>>> "I just knew I couldn't pursue Jehovah's Witnesses like I wanted to," he said"

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

I wonder how Prince feels about this?

• luna2
    luna2

Awww, that Prince is an awfully pretty little fella!

As for the article, it makes me sad for those people. I am sure they will come to regret their decision eventually.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    "I didn't have any friends that weren't musicians. I was very narrow minded. Leaving really made me a more rounded person.

I wonder how long he'll keep any musician friends in his life.

I have songs written (that haven't been published) and the last thing I would do is give up my dream for any organization.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Here is a story about a friend of mine who gave up her music career to be a JW. Things did not quite work out very well. I suspect in a few years the same might be said of this couple.

http://www.catholicxjw.com/littlefrog.html

Jeff Schwehm

• Panda
    Panda

It's just so sad to read that story about a young creative couple falling for WTBTS lines of deceit. It took me almost 20 years to see the borg line for what it is; the false line. If they don't have cable I assume they don't have an internet connection. Too bad really. I hope the non-dub parts of the family will be nice and patient and lovingly support them out of the cult.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Debbie said she had wanted to be a songwriter to uplift people. "But a Bible study is a better way to uplift people. It's a better way to help people than to hope that they listen to your songs. I wanted to learn what was God's will and just do it and see where that would lead me."

She's in the wrong place to do God's will. He's never been in the WT home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit