Bad examples of intelligent design?

by gringojj 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• roybatty
    roybatty

I don't buy into the creation account any more but one thing I've wondered about concerning evolution is why is it that only can evolved such a complex brain? I mean, nothing, no other animal, even comes close. So having this "advanced" brain isn't really needed for survival.

Also, I understand how an more advanced brain would help a fellow to survive over someone with who's less evolved (develop tools, weapons, shelter, etc.) but HOW did they get develop this brain?

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

we eat

we f@#%k

we die

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    This trio of muscles most likely made it possible for prehominids to move their ears independently of their heads, as rabbits and dogs do. We still have them, which is why most people can learn to wiggle their ears

i can do that

luv, jojo

• Caedes
    Caedes

"Also, I understand how an more advanced brain would help a fellow to survive over someone with who's less evolved (develop tools, weapons, shelter, etc.) but HOW did they get develop this brain?" Roybatty

obviously short generations and an ever life threatening environment will speed up this process.

hth

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Actually, standard theories of natural selection do not adequately explain the unique nature and extent of human intelligence.

You see, if we are smart because you NEED to be smart to survive, there would be equivalently smart animals, just as there a lots of animals that use speed, stingers, whatever as a survival startegy. The fact there is no parrallelism indicates another factor lead to the development of human intelligence.

Best bets are sexual selection; peacocks have big tails, humans have big brains. The human female showed preference for those with the charcteristics given them by large complex brains.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    You see, if we are smart because you NEED to be smart to survive, there would be equivalently smart animals, just as there a lots of animals that use speed, stingers, whatever as a survival startegy. The fact there is no parrallelism indicates another factor lead to the development of human intelligence.

That's my one hang up. They say sharks have been around for millions of years. Shouldn't some type of "smart" shark exist?

Best bets are sexual selection; peacocks have big tails, humans have big brains. The human female showed preference for those with the charcteristics given them by large complex brains.

But how did we get this complex brain? No other animal on the planet even comes close, how did we as humans suddenly take this huge leap forward while no other animal has even come close?

• ballistic
    ballistic
    The human female showed preference for those with the charcteristics given them by large complex brains.

I think a more accurate statement would be, "The human female showed a preference for males with a larger brain who could make feeble attempts at understanding women."

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

ballistic:

LOL, yes!

roy

That's my one hang up. They say sharks have been around for millions of years. Shouldn't some type of "smart" shark exist?

No, why? They don't need to be smart to survive, QED. Things don't decide to become smart 'oo, I've been a shark for 100 million years, time to develop wrinkles in my cerebelum'. If the smarter ones have more babies that survive, then the species will incease in intelligence. But dumb things can survive very well thank you. As to why humans are the only creature with that level of intellegence, I give a possible explanation above.

But how did we get this complex brain? No other animal on the planet even comes close, how did we as humans suddenly take this huge leap forward while no other animal has even come close?
    Humans took no huge leap forward. Read up on human evolution. Our brains s l o w l y grew to their current size, prehaps in response to the selection pressure I speculate about. Mischaracterising the theory doesn't bring you any closer to understanding it.
  • roybatty
    roybatty
    Humans took no huge leap forward. Read up on human evolution. Our brains s l o w l y grew to their current size, prehaps in response to the selection pressure I speculate about. Mischaracterising toshe theory doesn't bring you any cler to understanding it.

I'll be the first one to admit I know very little about human evolution, thus my questions. My understanding of natural selection is that a creature with features that help it to survive and procreate have a better chance of passing along those features. I understand that this is a s l o w process. I still don't accept that females preferred males with larger brains. I just don't understand why evolution would produce a brain so complex that humans don't even use most of it? Why produce a brain that can split the atom when chimps and gorillas can survive with something so much less "evolved"?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The Human Male - his brain is in his groin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit