130 years of preaching has failed.

by joelbear 24 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

Even in the US where the preaching work has been going on longest and most widespread, very few people have any idea what the message of the Watchtower Society or Jehovah's Witnesses is. Why? Their methodology is flawed. Selling books and magazines that are rarely read sporadically to people doesn't deliver this message. My parents have been in the preaching work for 60 years and have not gained one convert outside of their relatives and they are both quite intelligent and good communicators.

Less people know what Jehovah's Witnesses believe now than did 50 years ago. The peak of penetration was probably in the 50's and 60's and has been drifting lower ever since.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

joelbear 99% of people opening a JW book they bought to get rid of the jw on their doorstep will be put off on the first page.

And the people who buy the magazines dont read the stuff about the bible - they go straight to the nature articles or general interets ones.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I tend to agree. Most people don't have time to read anymore, esp. religious material. Time is precious. Kinda like the cold callers from India, just no time to listen to their blag.

This must be reflecting in jw figures

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    cold callers from India

Don't get me on that subject doofdaddy - can;t believe you get em too! Honestly we must get half a dozen a day at home. As soon as they start I say something rude - "I'm in the middle of a shag and I haven't got the faintest interest in anything you are saying!"

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

history-

129 years ago... Bob Johnson invents the "Colpourter Shuffle" and begins driving his carriage horses at a walk instead of a trot between farms while covering his rural Iowa territory.

I think old Bob's idea caught on.

~Hill

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Yeah it's kinda weird Crumpet, living out in the bush, middle of nowhere and this call comes trying to sell me a gold visa card or something equally useless....I too just hang up now when I hear that faint crackly line and exceptional english...

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I'm in the middle of a shag

God I love British words! (I learned that one from Austin Powers!!)

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Yes, 130 years of preaching has failed.

Given that the most powerful government in the universe was supposed to have been set up in 1914, it has failed to get its message to the majority of people in the world.

Given the message hasn't really penetrated the USA, it is not surprising that it is unheard of in places such as the Middle East, India and the rest of Asia and China. I know from first hand experience that in India, Jehovah's Witnesses are totally unheard of. Yes, they have a small annual increase but the majority of this increase is in the South where the converts already 'Christians'; i.e. from Kerula and Goa form Portuguese colonies. In the north and east of the country, which are predominantly Hindu, there are places that have seen virtually no real increase since the 60's.

If 'this good news of the Kingdom' is to be preach in 'all the inhabited earth' before the comes, the end is a very long way off

Eyeslice

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JWs will claim that they warned the governments of countries where they do not dare go and preach and that this amounts to covering those countries in terms of preaching.

This is nonsense because from a rational point of view, the people of those lands never got a direct preaching from the jws (fortunately for them of course!)and it's not fair to judge them as those that did.

And did the WTS really warn those governments, and they are changing over time let's not forget, and what precisely did they say to them? What did they say to the fanatical islamist Iranian government for example?

• potleg
    potleg

Yes the dor to door work has been a great waste of time and energy, and it always will be. It will never be completed, the population is always in flux..people are born, people die and the growth of the witnesses is not keeping pace with the birth rate. and why would god be so selective , I mean some areas have a much higher publisher/population ratio than others, If God really were behind the JWs I'm sure things would be different. Can you imagine Jesus going to Brooklin etc..."You have turned my fathers house into a publishing empire"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit