Within one minute JW with trolley directs me to JW.org

by steve2 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• steve2
    steve2

I live in relatively small seaside community (regional population around 45,000). In my ten years here,  I've had witnesses call on me perhaps twice (not special visits but during door-to-door). Whereas they once canvassed door-to-door much more frequently - and in larger size service groups - there is quite a decline in their door-knocking - at least in this region.

With the advent of the "trolley" work, their visibility has increased - but I'd estimate only marginally. I certainly have noticed the occasional Witnesses, in twos, standing alone at their trolley and literature stands at marketplaces and outside the local shopping mall. Passersby don't stop or even look. I notice them becsuse I was raised in the religion.

Last weekend I saw 2 males standing outside one of the (closed) banks and it was only as I passed them, I saw the trolley stand they were flanking. They avoided all eye contact with passersby and were chatting to each other. Passersby would not even have noticed the trolley stand or realized what the "arrangement" was for.

I wad in two minds about turning back and actually approaching them. Eventually, within 30 minutes of completing my errands, I decided that if they were still outside the shopping mall, I'd catch their eye and approach them.

They were still there, and continued their private conversation. I virtually had to walk right up to them and say, "Hi" before they registered that a member of the public had initiated contact with them.  One of them appeared almost startledv that someone had approached them.

Anyway, because I've been out a number of years and my home congregation is from another region several hundred miles away, they were unknown to me and their eveutual willingness to talk to me indicated they did not know me.

After brief niceties, I asked what they were doing. One of them handed me a tract and invited me to look up JW.org on the internet to find out more. At this stage, they had not even identified themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses, so I asked, "Who are you representing?" Still no answer, except one of them said the website would answer my questions. I then said, looking more closely at the tract they handed me, "So you're Jehovah's Witnesses?" To which they both chimed, "Yes".

The older one simply added, "People are very busy these days so we're inviting people to find out more about us on the internet." He then added something about people can find a wealth of information on JW.org at their own pace when they feel like it.

I avknowledged the referral to their website but  asked,  "Isn't it a bit strange that I aproach you willing to talk and you immediately refer me to your website to find out about why you're standing here today in front of me whrn you could simply tell me directly". The older Witness laughed and said, "You've got a good point there" and explained that most folks are not of the frame of mind to talk when they're out shopping. Talk about doing himself out of his job!

To cut this story shory, we had a friendly but very superficial chat. I presented myself as knowing nothing about them - so when they realized I knew nothing, I got the very simple-minded spiel which indicated they knew absolutely nothing about the inner workings of their organisation and were as blind as bats. They were very nice to me though. 

Is this what witnessing has now come to? If you, as a member of the public, need to approach them first, they won't see you or bother to approach you? And when you do approach them, they will automatically - and unthinkingly - refer you to their website to find out more that they once would have simply told you themselves.

I cannot see an organization that focuses on passive trolley work thriving or helping improve their dismal growth rates in this part of the world - but it can still astonish me how limp-minded the JW  ministry has become.

• sir82
    sir82

I don't if it is so in all areas, but at least in some places, a condition of setting up a cart is that the JWs manning it aren't allowed to initiate contact. They have to wait until approached.

I can understand a municipality enforcing a rule like that. It's not just JWs who have things to sell. Otherwise you'd get some very aggressive merchandise hawkers out there, all trying to shout their competition down.

And of course JWs love it that way - they get their time in without actually having to say anything,

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    Is this what witnessing has now come to? If you, as a member of the public, need to approach them first, they won't see you or bother to approach you? And when you do approach them, they will automatically - and unthinkingly - refer you to their website to find out more that they once would have simply told you themselves.

Sounds exactly like the behavior I would expect from someone who truly believes God is about to execute 99.9% of human life on Earth at any moment.  Their urgency couldn't be stronger.  

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

I saw two JW's sitting on folding quad chairs and talking to each other on either side of a book stand in the nice front patio-entrance area to a CA DMV office that faces West.  All they needed was a few Mai Tais to simulate being on vacation.

I thought about stopping and saying hi, but decided against it.  Part of me was thinking that the WTBTS was trying to recruit illegal immigrants trying to obtain drivers licenses and the other part of me was thinking that the illegal immigrants are too busy trying to make enough money to sent back to families at home to become involved with the WTBTS.

As long as JWs want to waste their time talking to each other instead of recruiting new members, I won't bother them until I see them trying to recruit someone.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I cannot see an organization that focuses on passive trolley work thriving or helping improve their dismal growth rates in this part of the world - but it can still astonish me how limp-minded the JW  ministry has become.

You are still operating on the idea that JWs are in the " salvation business" of making recruits/converts for their religion. No longer. 

The trollys are to keep current JWs busy and feeling needed.  There was growing opposition (outside and inside the Borg) to knocking on doors.  Riding around in a car all day was draining JWs of the money that could go to the WTS.

The new WTS business plan is to build real estate for the purpose of profiting on resale.  The trolleys are needed to keep active JWs involved and feeling needed.  The active JWs are needed (for free labor) to build the new buildings, to make "mandatory" donations to pay for the new buildings, for (more free labor) to make repairs on the new buildings, and to provide growth within the Borg (by raising young JWs).

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Doc

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    WTF??? When I think of all the years I spent in full time service trudging through huge snow dirifts and below zero weather in northern WI, literally going hungry many times, begging Jehovah to help me reach honest hearted ones, wanting desperately to reach people before the great tribulation started.......What was it all about?
  • freein2004
    freein2004

I see this behavior quite a bit as well. They sit outside a local KH located on a busy street and talk to each other. I visit the shopping center right across the street from them and sometimes I sit there for a few minutes watching them. Plenty of people walk by and often they are too engaged in their own conversations to even say hello. I doubt this behavior is encouraged or expected from the GB. But many dubs are probably relieved to not be bothering people at their homes. And more concerned with their own little jdub lives that it is easy to sit there and chat about all the exciting new changes coming their way.

I will say judging from the outside this is one KH that could probably use a renovation or new location. It really is a very busy street and a little kid could easily run off into the street. This happened years ago when i was a small child. Our KH was on a very busy street and a little boy ran out from the KH and was killed on the night of the memorial. I believe the guy was a study. Very sad. I will never forget it.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

How long before you see JW.org vending machines or a robot standing on a corner, where you walk up press a button and out comes a pamphlet about JW.org?

The older one simply added, "People are very busy these days so we're inviting people to find out more about us on the internet."

Yes, but in this case he had someone walk up to him, so clearly there is some time to talk. Lazy!

• Virran
    Virran

These trolleys are completely new to me and I still haven't seen any of them. I've lived in this same place for 4 years now but never have a JW knocked on my door here. 

One time though I heard noice at my front door and whispering and I heard them walked down the stairs. When I opened my door no one was there but I had Watchtower magazines on my door handle. I'm thinking they've stopped knocking on doors all together. 

Anyhow, about these trolleys, I'm wondering if the individual witness have to pay for them themselves? I know everything is "free", but we all know that's not really true. Wonder how much they cost? And then to fill them up with constant fresh magazines. 

I just can't imagine the org is paying for it. 

Land where do they store them? Can't be easy if one is living in a small flat? In that trolley-song, if I recall correctly, it ended with the trolley rolling into someone's garage. 

• steve2
    steve2

Sir82, you make a valid point about some municipalitys forbidding approaching passersby. That said, there's a difference between the JWs self-absorption in their own private chatter along with avoiding all attempts at eye contact as people walk by and standing alert ready to engage with members of the public who approach them. Body language and preparedness to appropriately engage count for a lot when you've got a message you need to communicate/sell.

Desirous of Change, well said. I harbor no illusions that JWs see themselves as reducing their own blood-guilt by trying to reach as many people as possible - especially in New Zealand where their membership to population ratio is one of the best in the world.

Magwitch, like you, I think of the hardship I went through in my younger years, using a bicycle in all weathers to ensure the vast rural territory was well covered and ensuring interested people were quickly followed up - often at huge expense to myself. Thing is, my activity was not remarkable at that time - the hall bustled with very active Witnesses who showed tremendous initiative and self-sacrifice. They walked the talk because the end was so very near and they felt keenly responsible before their God to carry out the ministry.

When I hear family still-in talking about conventions and socializing, I realize this is indeed a very different organization from the one I was raised in - and yes, as I said, I can still be astonished at how superficial the "end" product is.  

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit