Are You Too Tough on Yourself?

by Blueblades 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Now that you have made that exit from the cult, WTBTS., or are fading, are you too tough on yourself? Do you have a little voice inside your head that's constantly telling you that you don't measure up? Nearly all of us carry these voices around, some are louder than others, some are quieter. Sometimes it goes to such an extreme that one might even self - flagellate one's self, that voice prodding you to improve, get tough on yourself.

Or, do you ignore that inner critic of yourself, free from the cult, and go on with life and take it as it comes?

Blueblades ( sometimes I beat myself up. )

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Very...to a point it is scary.

Brooke

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Thanks for this thread blueblades, because you have reminded me how wonderful it is to be guiltfree. Ok, I'm not perfect - far from it - but I don't go to sleep thinking about how bad I am, counting up the crimes of the day, feeling terrible if I felt horny. Its fantastic!

And if I do something I do feel bad about - I do my best to put it right and then move on.

crumpet NOT guilty as charged!

• greendawn
    greendawn

At first there were over strong voices but with time I was reasoning things out and eventually they faded away and died. After that I do according to what I personally believe to be correct some of these are things I abided with even before the JWs.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Yes, I beat myself up far more than I should. Always wonder if I'm acceptable/good enough for almost ANYTHING.

I'm learning this is because my past is so embedded in my subconcious that it has an effect on how I react to situations today. I guess for me at least it's a case of constantly questioning and 'reprogramming' these reactions. But it can take an awful long time.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

BlueBlades... dont measure up to what? I certainly don't feel guilty for 'not doing enough' anymore. And now I've learnt the truth about things, I dont worry about dying at Armageddon because of being DA'd.

• blondie
    blondie

I grew up in an abusive household. My voice sounded like my father. My parents divorced and even though I rarely saw him, it was always his voice telling me I would fail, that I was stupd, that I was no good.

I finally went for counseling and I kid you not it took only 1 year to get that voice out of my head. Sometimes it tries to sneak back in but I give it the heave ho right away.

Too bad the WTS voice wasn't as easy to deal with. But for the last 3 years I no longer feel guilty for not measuring up to their distorted standards. God doesn't keep records.

Psalm 130:3 (The Message)
    3 If you, GOD, kept records on wrongdoings,

who would stand a chance?

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

"guilt is like carrying a bag of bricks,all you have to do is put it down".

I forget what movie thats from,but I really liked that thought.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    "guilt is like carrying a bag of bricks,all you have to do is put it down".

Milton (Al Pacino), "The Devil's Advocate"

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

Thanks jeffro,I wouldn't have been happy til I knew where I had heards that.STP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit