• Englishman
    Englishman

alt

It's by Beryl Cooke.

I'm bidding!

Englishman.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I'd like it better if it didn't have a cross on the Watchtower, but it's funny. I wonder if the artist knows anything about the beliefs or is just guessing since they now call themselves the 'Christain' witnesses of Jehovah...

J

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

the old big watchtowers did have a cross on them.

someone has a very old memory.

• Emma
    Emma

It's wonderful! I hope you get it. Keep us posted.

• Carol
    Carol

I remembered the older, larger Watchtowers had crosses on them....but that looks more like a sword to me???? I think I'll buy some backing material and draw a similar design and hook a welcome mat for my front door...only mine is going to have the circle with a line drawn through it! Oops! not necessary, my name and address are in the territory map as a place not to call. I think the elders didn't want their new publishers to hear the "truth" from a former full time pioneer. I think I'll do the mat anyway!

• tdogg
    tdogg

Two sisters just like that came to my door two weeks ago. BTW I took it easy on them, the lead seemed like such a nice old lady.

• blondie
    blondie

Until 1931 the WT had a cross on it.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Englishman-

Love the picture, almost looks like a Jonathan Pollack special. You should impress many with this item.

Good luck.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Until 1931 the WT had a cross on it.

True, but the clothing looks modern. Interesting. How old is the painting, Englishman? J

• Englishman
    Englishman

The artist is a Bristol lady, Beryl Cook, and is rated UK number 1 in terms of sales made.

More here: http://www.berylcook.com/

Anyone who has visited my home will know that we have around 12 of her prints on the hall and landing.

The pic of the Watchtower ladies can be found on another site here: http://www.berylcook.org/desktopdefault_BC.aspx?tabid=276&tabindex=3

Underneath the pic, Beryl Cook says:

'I don't often paint from sheer malice, but this was an exception........these two Jehovah's Witness campaigners were always coming to the door and pestering me.' ('The Works' pub. John Murray 1978)

Good old Beryl!

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit