New member - quick hello

by melmoth 23 Replies latest jw friends

• melmoth
    melmoth

Just registered and thought I'd say hello. Been browsing the board here occasionally for a while, and thought I might want to join in now and then, so here I am. For me, a lot of this brings up odd memories from long ago - though for many struggling in the Jehovah's Witless grip currently, it's clearly a lifeline and I wish it had been around when I was 'doing the fade' (as I've seen it referred to, and a great way to put it, btw) nearly 20 years ago. I'll relate my story sometime, though it's fairly tame by comparison to others I've read. It could have been far worse. It's occurred to me that there are a couple of basic distinctions among ex-JWs, and I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts about them. (Pardon me if this has all been hashed through many times; I've read back through the board but not exhaustively.) Lifers vs. Converts: Those raised as JWs (as I was) probably tend to have a different view of things than those who were enticed in. I don't feel as conned personally as I am curious as to how and why my parents were - I have my suspicions, but that will wait for another time. Christians vs. Godless: Many remain devoted to Christian teachings, having rejected the WBTS but retaining their faith and practicing it in some other way, with other groups, etc. I'd assume these are the ones most interested in debating doctrine. As for me, I'm quite happily agnostic and have no real use for organized relition (although Buddhism, as a non-authoritarian philosophy, interests me). I certainly don't mean to criticize those for whom the trinity (for example) remains an important topic, and dissecting the WBTS's various revisions and contradictions is certainly important to anyone trying to determine whether they are divinely guided (ludicrous as that sounds to me now). Still, it's nice to see what I think is a sort of amiable coexistence here. Or maybe I haven't been here enough to see the friction. I'd be curious to learn whether there's any general correlation between these two - are JW converts more likely to transfer to another faith than those born into it? I also suspect the process of leaving is to some extent different for us lifers. Things you learn and accept as a child, good and bad, are tough to shake off. I stumbled across 'apostate' info online about a decade after I'd last attended a meeting, and I have to admit I paused before delving into it - still sent a bit of a chill down my spine, if you know what I mean. That's enough for now. Greetings to all, and I look forward to stopping by here once in a while. Melmoth

• melmoth
    melmoth

Oops - sorry about the long single paragraph. I didn't realize it would format like that, and I can't see how to go back and edit it.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Welcome.

Love to have a discussion some time with you

Take care

Danny

• rebel8
    rebel8

Welcome! It doesn't matter if you talk about things that have already been discussed. There are new people joining all the time and they undoubtedly want to discuss those things.

As to your categories, yeah, I think that's it. There are also people who are in-between, undecided, etc. There are also other categories, such as It's-a-cult vs. no-it's-not....the list goes on.

• jula71
    jula71

Well, it's been a weird day for newbie's.......but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.......

Welcome...............

• luna2
    luna2

Welcome, melmoth!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Welcome Melmoth!

DY

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

welcome melmoth! may your stay be as enlightening as mine has.

p,s- be sure to check "Automatic Cr/Lf " before you start typing your post so that your paragraphs work.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Welcome!!!

I was a "lifer" so to speak. My mom was raised a Jo Ho too. My dad did buy into it however, but it was in order to marry my mother. So maybe I should ask him why he thought it made sense. But he was very young at the time. Only about 18 or 19 when he "converted" in order to get married in the KH. I know we celebrated birthdays and Xmas for the first few years after I was born, so I know they weren't very good Witnesses...so it's all about momentum I guess. But his father had just abandoned his mother and he was working full time supporting his mother and younger brothers and sisters too, so I'm sure he was in a fragile mental place. But I digress.....welcome again!

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Hello and Welcome, Melmoth~

I enjoyed your first post and look forward to seeing more from you. Remember to always "answer in your own words" by slightly rearranging the words of more established posters and keep your number of posts up so as not to become inactive.

~Merry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit