Why cant JWs celebrate Holidays again?

by Mary Phooty 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sith
    Sith

"I don't care about the roots of some of these, I just enjoy celebrating. Not going overboard, of course."

Of course not. Musn't get TOO close to the edge, eh DY?

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

The question is of course what is the definition of to celebrate...

It is okay to ask your family to come at christmas and have a nice dinner. (as long as you don't sing christmas songs

It is okay to watch parades etc on those holydays

It is okay some to join in some things not directly related. For example in holland they celebrate queensday. It is allowed on this day to sell stuff in the streets (normally not). Everybody is selling and buying, the whole city becomes a garage sale. Most whitlesses are doing the same.

Danny

• M.J.
    M.J.

Celebrating wedding anniversaries and all the customs associated with weddings (rings, cake, etc.) also have roots in paganism, that is, origins outside of Christianity or pre-Christian Judaism.

They take a particular dogmatic stance on a very subjective topic, and you must comply or be excommunicated.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

It serves to socially isolate children from their peers thereby creating dependency upon an organization that understands them.

Now the hard question is, did they purposely do this? Or was it just a natural consequence of dumb bible exegesis?

• M.J.
    M.J.

My hunch is that Rutherford stole the idea from other groups such as the Christadelphians.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    Now the hard question is, did they purposely do this? Or was it just a natural consequence of dumb bible exegesis?

It's on purpose dude.

But they do use their usual Bible tricks of taking passages out of context and reading way too much into individual scriptures. While I was studing, I was told by my teachers that the reason they don't celebrate Birthdays is because in the two instances in the Bible in which somebody celebrates a birthday, someone is killed.

It sounds like the same logic parents use to blame video game for violence when one kid out of millions who play the same stupid game shoots up a school. Oh wait, I've seen the JWs use that same asinine arguement in "Awake."

So essentially, since two people, out of all the multi gazillions of birthdays there have ever been in the history of the world, killed somebody, birthdays are hereby "displeasing to Jehovah."

• dontnowat2believe
    dontnowat2believe

And also dont forget if a jw has a family when these holidays come round he will be spending money on his family and not handing it over to the borg.

Pete

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Yeah.Who at WT cares that kids suffer, as long as the cash goes into their pockets. I remember at christmas in the 2nd or 3rd grade, my classmates and the teacher at school was going round the christmas tree in the school hall. And it was assumed that I would not participate, and some of the kids were you know, mocking me, for that. So I did it anyway. And was sure afterwards that now God would kill me for sure. F##k you, WT.

• jimakazi
    jimakazi

Celebration of holidays is fun, JW's are a no fun zone.

They have some other so called 'reasons' but in the end the GB have forgotten what fun was, and if they can't have fun by god no one else will. Now why are all the kids leaving...?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I remember when I was still an active JW and my oldest son was DFed, he and his "never-a-JW" wife had lights on the house and a Christmas tree in front of the widow in the living room. I used to be both embarrassed and disgusted (I brought him up better than that) every time I was with "the group" out in service.

When I finally smartened up many years later, I still had no desire to celebrate anything. It finally hit me and now I'm right in there with the rest of the pagan apostates! I don 't feel the least bit guilty and don't hide it. In fact I am very "out there" with decorations etc.

We are in the midst (hot-weather delay) of remodeling the front entryway and the front of the house, and I cannot wait to see how great its going to look decorated next season!!!!! (Already bought those "icicle lights" that run the length of the house, etc, last year when they were on clearance) so I'm well on my way for being voted on as the biggest apostate in the village! (To all onlookers!)

Even when I was IN the WTS, I never sounded very convincing when trying to explain why we didn't celebrate this-that-or the other. Easter was especially difficult to tell others about, considering the WE thought of ourselves as Christian but didn't even give honorable mention to the day Christ was resurrected!!!

Everything Watchtower is hand picked and selected for THEIR reasons and theirs alone, whether it makes any sense or not. THEN the sheep have to play follow the leaders and if they balk---they're GONE!

Deep down inside somewhere, I wonder if the JWs were suddenly "allowed" to celebrate whatever they wished with no repercussions---how many would bring back the holidays they once cherished.

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit