A Common Dub Type?: The henpecked ubm who joins because of his nagging wife

by Check_Your_Premises 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Vitty,

Yes, in further defense of all the weenies out there, I do have to give my eternal, undying gratitude to all the information I have at my disposal, that those poor defenseless weenies didn't.

I don't know what I would do if I hadn't gotten all the wonderful advice and input from you fine folks.

Maybe I would be a Converted-him Door-Knockerous Weenemus-Maximus, cuz I didn't want my kids growing up without dad and I didn't know what else to do!!!!

Glad you have your sense of humor. All you can do is laugh some times.

So did you tell him he gets to cook dinner and rub your feet?!?!

CYP

Censer Watchtower esse delendam

slow-steady-deliberate-relentless

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

It happens in all realms of life.

When in a partnership/relationship, the stronger of the two personalities will draw the other one in any which way.

Take for example Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes. She'd never looked into Scientology, much less convert, if not for the strong willed Tom. Poor girl! She looks so young and naive.

DY

• vitty
    vitty

He just woke up and said "im going to bed " I said " your a weener, do you know what a weener is"

He said said "It must be something with a big C%¤K , Goodnight"

I know ive spelt it wrong LOL

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Check,

In defense of these poor namby-pamby men, I do admit that I can give in on an awful lot of things just so I simply never have to hear my wife talk about it again. I know she will only find something else to prattle on about, but at least I don't have to hear about THAT thing anymore!!!

Dude, those stereotypes went out with tailfins on cars. I respect my husband too much to jerk him around that way...

Therefore, if I discovered he'd been talking like that about me, he'd be in marriage counseling, or single, pretty damn quick.

gently feral

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Thanks for the cultural education.

You know, I have heard that before.

I have been instructed from my youth, by my culture and pretty much everyone around me that all those "stereotypes went out with tailfins". I watched all those progressive, culturally significant tv shows like Donahue, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, and MASH. I watched Then I started looking around.

I realized that often if a stereotype exists, it is because there is something behind it. OF COURSE we do have to use discernment and not simply accept popular wisdom, and the validity of a given stereotype. OF COURSE it would be horribly wrong to assume because a stereotype exists, that a person automatically can be expected to manifest that given stereotype. OF COURSE everybody is different, and should (if you have the time) be treated as individuals, not as members of a group. OF COURSE everybody should be treated with respect.

As for my wife, it is not a stereotype at all. It is actual, living, breathing behaviour. She is not an abstract concept. She actually becomes fixated on something. Then she talks about it all the time. I finally get so sick of hearing about it, that I give in. Then once that fixation is sated, she becomes fixated on something else. My only relief is that I don't have to hear about THAT particular fixation anymore. I guess it is just a coincidence that she happens to be a woman? I didn't know this was a stereotype? Are all women like this?

This isn't something that is a matter of opinion. She admits it. It is something we laugh about. No counseling required!

I love my wife. Don't worry, I wouldn't run her down to you folks or anybody else. I sure as hell wouldn't say anything bad behind her back that I wouldn't say to her front.

And seriously, I don't think this trait of hers is really that bad or a big deal. It is just one of those things that makes marriage the wonderful adventure that it is.

And maybe I do come off as a bit of an Archie Bunker. If I talk about the wonderful idiosynchrasies of the female species, it is only because that is what I have to deal with. Compared to those male stereotypes, they are completely benign!!! I do have daughters. You don't have to push me to hard to get me to lament the current state of the male species. Women have my deepest sympathies. My wife would be at the top of that list. All I can do is try give my daughters careful instruction on what to expect, to make sure my own son acts like a gentleman. I just don't see it as a contest. We are different. So what?

NOW GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN!!!

(just messin' )

CYP

Censer Watchtower esse delendam

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    I respect my husband too much to jerk him around that way...

I can't help but wonder what your husband would tell me on that subject after a few beers.

CYP Censer Watchtower esse delendam

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I always felt that some men who came into the truth did so because they were nagged to death. Another related reason is because they were invited everywhere and did a lot of socializing.

It is a case of the "if you can't beat them join them" mentality. But I always felt that with a few of them they really didn't deep down swallow it all but they kept their mouths shut.

• Carol
    Carol

I think most men that join after their wives join do it because 1. they believe it or 2. because of the "women should be in subjection to their husbands" clause that is pushed down our throats at the very beginning of study. Those men that don't join are comfortable in their own skin, or in the case of my father...physically or mentally abuse their families until they leave "the truth" or the home.

:-)

• M.J.
    M.J.

Sorry for my absence, since I put you up to it...

I personally haven't observed any cases of this, since I am not as intimately involved in "our" congregation as you are in "yours"...ya namby pamby

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm afraid to say, you have just described Irreverent! But he's no weenie. Just a remarkably flexible and patient man.

How about this type? We have him at our hall. Ditzy and spiritually "ambitious" wife, the kind who subscribes to vitamin therapy for well, everything, packs a carb-free lunches for her family and make them like it, pushes her husband to greater lengths of service. After all, she can only progress by proxy. He's happy-go-lucky and quite content to go along with the program, even though the gruelling pace is starting to make him fray at the edges. He can never quit. She would go ballistic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit