Little Matthew at the Kingdom Hall

by pennycandy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

When my oldest child was about three we were in a kingdom hall with quite a few kids. My son was frequently brought to the back room, not for a spanking, but to stretch his legs and take a break. Later diagnosed with ADHD, he could not sit quietly if his life depended on it.

Every meeting we would frequently pass little Matthew with his mommy on the way to their latest spanking session. Matthew was all boy, rambunctious and teasing and all over the room wanting to tell everyone his latest knock-knock joke. He was full of spirit and a handful at the meetings. He would always wink at the people behind them when his mother wasn’t watching.

The brothers and sisters would roll their eyes each time he was carried screaming down the isle for another readjustment. They would pat his mother on the arm and say, “I know it’s hard, but just stick to your guns and he’ll learn”, while she sighed and nodded.

Of course it didn’t help that the only other boy his age besides mine was Toby, a blue-eyed, blonde, angelic child who could easily sit, hands clasped on his lap, eyes forward, for two hours. Toby also supposedly took copious notes during the talks and had his own magazine route. I suppose being compared to Toby didn’t make it any easier for poor little Matthew.

Matthew’s mother was single and had a handful of other children also. She finally caught the eye of a younger man, childless, inexperienced, and they married. The brothers immediately counseled him on taking the lead in disciplining the children. The mother was so relieved to have help in dealing with such an incorrigible child. Now it was the new dad’s turn to take Matthew to the back during the meetings. And things began to change.

Within a couple months Matthew was brought to the back much less. He was learning to sit quietly and not run around before and after the meetings. We sat directly behind Matthew’s family one Sunday and waited for him to wink at me. He never turned around. He spent the meeting looking at his hands. Once his mother handed him a notepad and a pencil, and he took them without looking up and started drawing. New dad whispered something in mom’s ear and she turned around and grabbed the pad and paper back and put them in her purse. Matthew didn’t protest, didn’t even look up, just went back to staring at his hands.

I watched him when the meeting was over. He stood right by the side of either parent, taking a step when they did. He didn’t respond when the brothers and sisters patted him on the head and told him what a good boy he’s become. We moved and faded soon after that so I don’t know whatever became of Little Matthew.

You hear about children having their spirits broken, but it’s a sad sad thing to watch.

Just to point out to any active witnesses, child development experts say that a child can’t be expected to sit quietly for an hour until they are about seven years old. They’re not being bad, they just aren’t able to sit through an entire meeting. Spanking them doesn’t help them develop faster, it just makes everyone miserable and ensures they will hate the meetings.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

wow...that explains a lot. i had always thought that it was my fault that i didn't like the meetings...like i was possessed or something.

apparently i am very much normal.

luv, jojo

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Wow--that makes me worry that there is more here than meets the eye. Sounds like he was being abused or something for his spirit to be broken that quickly.

• jula71
    jula71

I posted a similar thought earlier today. It was Richies thread about dub gettin' beatings. I totally agree, you can not expect a child to still completely still and silent for 2 hours a meeting!!!!! My mom would make the comment every time time a child "acted up", she would say, "the parents just aren't training him/her right." BS!! Let the children be children.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Crumbs thats a sad story. I thought exactly the same with as L2BW - what on earth was happening to the poor little bloke to make him change so radically so quickly.

• Netty
    Netty

What gets me is how there is nothing at all for the poor witness kids. Like Sunday School, day care, whatever. My kids aged 3 and 7, have such a hard time sitting still for a whole hour, and yea, its easier for the 7 year old. The church I now hit and miss at, has a day care where they are read stories, get to play on the playground, watch bible cartoons, and even eat snacks. How great for the kids. Takes so much stress off me, because I get to listen to the sermon, and relax and enjoy, while they are at the day care/Sunday school.

Now I look back on growing up as a witness kid, and realize how cruel it was. I would never put my poor kids through all that. My dad had us in check, just like little Matthew, we didnt make a peep, trust me. And as we got older, we had better answer or else.

hmmm. really taught met to LOVE Jehovah, and the meetings.

• Netty
    Netty

ooh and we had one sister we were so scared of. Her name was Debbie, (oh, ok I wont say the last name, grrr) she always sat up front, and used to turn her head around and give the most intense evil "devil glare" to any kid who made any kind of noise whatsoever. Now I can only imagine how this must have stressed the parents out.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/93325/1.ashx

Those kids remind me of caged animals in a zoo. I'm glad mom didn't take the fire out of me...

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

i agree seems abit too weird! Poor little matthew!

i have a daughter, and when she was one i remember visiting my mums hall and sitting with her and she was disgusted at the fact that we brought one unspiritual book for her, appently not only should i have tried to keep a not understanding one year old quiet, i was also supposed to do it using only authentic b&tsociety literiture.

abit after that she ordered a book from a wittness with all 'baby spiritual friendly' stories in it only to have her cut her lip open the first time she lookedx

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

I'm always behind in reading the current threads; leave it to me to double-up on a topic.

I don't know all that was going on with Matthew. I didn't know the family outside of the kingdom hall. I never saw any bruises or anything, just a happy energetic kid who learned how to be a "good little witness child". I seemed to be the only one who was taken aback by the change in him. Everyone else thought it was wonderful and proves what a little discipline can do. He would be about 12 now.

I'll read Richie's thread tonight when I scan today's topics.

I LOVE the kids' programs at my church.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit