How hard would it be to twist witnesses in knots as an xjw?

by AK - Jeff 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I was i sutuation several times while talking to "spiritually strong" where I had to stop asking question in order not to shake their faith.

What types of things did you ask?

• TheListener
    TheListener

AK Jeff, No I don't do anything so insidious. I simply go to the doors extremely unprepared and bumble and mumble and jumble my words.

I appear to be a sincere witness who is completely useless as the door. Funny, though, I seem to do alright when practicing in the car with others. I guess I'll never get over the dreaded fear of man. Oh well, Jehovah knows how I feel.

Do I do this for fun? Absolutely not. I do this for survival. I must go in service at this point. Therefore I try to ensure that I'm not effective. If for some reason the householder still wants something in my bag (even though I seem to have trouble keeping it wrinkle free :) ) I always seem to forget to write down an important part of their address so it's so hard for me or another to return later. Too bad I'm so lame. Poor poor brother lame.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    No I don't do anything so insidious. I simply go to the doors extremely unprepared and bumble and mumble and jumble my words.

I appear to be a sincere witness who is completely useless as the door. Funny, though, I seem to do alright when practicing in the car with others. I guess I'll never get over the dreaded fear of man. Oh well, Jehovah knows how I feel.

Listener - I think you must blend in well with most witnesses then. I envy your ability to put on the charade you must for survival. Hope it goes well, and that someday you can make the exit intact and with family in tow.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    About 1 out of 100 JW's would stand there and debate if they think they have some knowledge. The other 99% would high-tail it from your door like Speedy Gonzales because they don't know how to refute anything with the "rote" knowledge most of them have. They close their ears and minds in a matter of seconds when hearing anything contrary to what Brooklyn teaches them.

HappyDad, I would guess you are right on with most witnesses for sure. There are some though that are starting to doubt things and maybe you could make an inroad carefully in those cases. I think the 99% is about right.

Jeff

• vitty
    vitty

If it had been me at the door, very easy. I was a person who liked the easy answers to difficult questions

I really didnt learn much although I was in for 20 years. I was sincere to the point of wanting to survive armageddon, but anything remotely "religious" went in one ear and out the other.

I tried really hard to remember scriptures chapter and verse but always forgot after the monthly presentation.

I dismissed inteligent discussions that disagreed with me, cos I had the "truth" , so hard s"#¤t if they where to "arrogant" not to accept the truth, I had it and thats all that mattered

I really wanted to do the right thing, but with an org that is false I didnt stand a chance

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    lisavegas420: The PO's wife said...We know the number is literal because it is mentioned twice. ; I gave her one of those looks...and said..um...alrighty then

Cool! You could have said, "Oh! So these 12,000 must be literal. It says that number 12 times."

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Er... tetrapod: I've no doubt you would have little trouble twisitng the run-of-the-mill JW and his/her prepackaged half-baked creationist argument into knots, but I'd temper your smugness a tad -- it isn't as though there aren't cogent, even compelling pro-ID arguments and articulate, well-qualified proponents in the scientific community out there fully capable of twisting you and your ilk into knots.

So notwithstanding the billions of factoids written, spoken and hurled at the other side across the battlements -- and intellectual capital lavished (some might say squandered) -- on this subject, the unassailable fact is that the question eludes a definitive answer.

thats exactly the point 215, debating the issue with JWs is nothing like debating it with real creationists and IDers. JWs ususally don't even know what a scientific theory is.

as far as cogent and compelling ID arguments, i don't care if you call it smug, i have not come across a single one that is cogent, compelling or capable. and the question is answered, already, very well by natural selection. if people who are offended by the theory would prefer to close their ears and wail NA NA NA!, then there is their lack of an answer. incidentally, this is exactly what a JW who came to my door would end up doing anyways.

regards,

TS

• Rex
    Rex

>In other words - how good of an anti-witness could you be if they came to your door and did not know you? Jeff I've had this happen and was prepared for it..... My wife and I had moved from our old congo area and were a couple years out and many hours of REAL scriptural study and instruction behind us. Two sis come to the door and I invited them in. One was Sis Leader and the other Sis Newbie. When they started the spiel I waited for a opening on a scripture taken out of context. I pulled out a nondescript New Testament and patiently showed the lousy and shallow interpretation, focusing on the Sis Newbie. The I shared the True Gospel, 1 Cor. 15. and asked them why did they (JW) always peach about a disputed idea that we are near (around the corner, soon, very soon, before this generation croaks) the actual return of Jesus since Christians are supposed to live that way every day and just lay the Gospel onto anyone they meet? That got Sis Leader real uncomfy and Sis Newbie looking off into space....that glazed look where the cult trained brain is doing the mental flip-flops necessary to fend off reality. They got up and ready to leave so I gave them a pre-printed copy of carefully worded questions from a ex-jw ministry and told them my name. Later on I caught the whole car group in a parking lot where they were meeting and passed out more info. It took about a week for my old congo's P.O. to contact me and he gave me a one-on-one meeting. I witnessed the gospel to him also when I turned in my D.A. letter. We got to go out the door with a bang, three of four area congos got the word that we left as APOSTSATES, though the bro reading off our D.A. announcement did not elaborate, just the standard anouncement. Word got around because I was once an 'up and coming' elder/speaker condidate and my youngest brother is a elder in our area. We are somewhat well known in the area JW scene. Now when I go out and get to meet JWs at THEIR DOORS in my ministry I am at a huge advantage. I can tell you that we don't have any boring, monotonous services at our church but you do get a lot of good church/bad church stuff going on. You just ahve to find the place where you can have worship that fits you. All they know is that I am a Baptist lay minister who handles evangelism for the northerm part of the state we live in. That's right, an ex-JW door knocker who is now out evangelizing with the HOLY SPIRIT and not in view of coffee breaks and panned WT presentations! I was in Nashville, Tennesee a couple weeks ago and we put 6300 Baptists into the neighborhoods in one day. I tell Christians all the time to be nice and polite, they are victims who need to hear the Word. I am also very upfront with anyone who asks me why I know so much about the cult. I will not lie to any JW, but they have to ask before I tell. God Bless, Rex

• Rex
    Rex

>as far as cogent and compelling ID arguments, i don't care if you call it smug, i have not come across a single one that is cogent, compelling or capable. and the question is answered, already, very well by natural selection. if people who are offended by the theory would prefer to close their ears and wail NA NA NA!, then there is their lack of an answer. incidentally, this is exactly what a JW who came to my door would end up doing anyways. Better brush up on your physics, bro. First cause and entropy both shoot holes in the grand theory of accidental origins. The lack of a fossil record to back up Darwin and the fact that mutations ar enever beneficial, irreducible comnplexity, etc just negates any idea of naturalism explaining How We Got Here. Don't beleive for a minute that this is a 'blind faith'. Once you get some physics then I suggest you read Chuck Colson's investigation and pre-evangelism instruction in "How Now Shall We live" and his personal experience in "Born Again". Now for the reasons that Chrisitianity wins by default, C.S. Lewis' "Mere Chrisitanity" and "Miracles" is a good place to start. Keep your mind open and don't rule out supernatural evidence before you investigate it. Authors/books: Lee Strobel, "Case for Faith" and his other books explains his journey of investigation leading to his faith from the agnostic side. Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit