How hard would it be to twist witnesses in knots as an xjw?

by AK - Jeff 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I mean we know how shallow the basic witness thinking is - we were there once ourselves. Do you think you could twist them into a pretzel? What lines of reasoning would you use? How would you assure that you could keep them a captive audience so that you made your point?

In other words - how good of an anti-witness could you be if they came to your door and did not know you?

Jeff

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I think I would be OK - I would play it cool and be subtle. I would win their confidence and accept magazines and then start asking questions on the return visit. I would introduce the parable of the prodigal son about forgiveness and tell them how wonderful that God would forgive like this and then move to disfellowshipping and ask if the WTBTS used the same biblical procedure - I then would make sure and ram home the point about surely your religion is based on the scriptures?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Child's play if you can keep them from running away if they face a question not covered in the Reasoning from the WT book.

Tell them you want a bible study. When they come back to study tell them you want to know all about the book of Romans and would they read and explain it to you. When they start on the WTBTS publications, FDS Bull just ask why not read the book of Romans like a book. If they stick around after that then they are going to get an education about Christianity the dim light of the WT can't hold a candle to.

• greendawn
    greendawn

You can easily give overcome their objections to all issues pertaining to the jws but the point is how to bypass the mind conditioning: "watch out so that the devil doesn't mislead you with false ideas and deprive you of the prize of life", is what they will be thinking and resisting all admonition perceiving you as an agent of the Devil that is being invisibly directed to victimise them.

If you want to overcome this you need a lot of time as Still noted, to gain their trust.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    how good of an anti-witness could you be if they came to your door and did not know you?

Good question. I don't know but I'm determined to find out next Saturday. Since it's warm outside, they've been back around my area, patroling in full force. The last 2 weeks, I wasn't able to get the door due to not being dressed at 10:30 am (it feels great to lounge at home doing nothing, btw)....so when they asked if they could leave the mags and come back another time, I said, "Sure."

Yesterday, I was lounging around and no one came by. I was prepared that if I was not dressed, I'd just hand them my copy of COC. But I'd much rather engage them in conversation.

This also gives me time to print out the UN documents from the UN's site and hand it to them. I was thinking of beginning there. I would compare that to some pieces in the red Revelation book.

And I would ask why it's ok to still use the Insight books when one of the main writers is now what they call an apostate and shunned. And that if they read and boast about those green wt encyclopedias, then why not read other books by Ray Franz. Not doing so is being hypocritical to me.

Then I'd ask them to prove 1914 to me without making up a phony azz math scenario full of gaps to an awakened person.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

good points, stillajwexelder.

I was thinking along the lines of the good news that you are preaching - then bring in the many scriptures that refer to Jesus in conjunction with that good news. Then point to the Watchtower and it's "Announcing Jehovah's Kingdom" and ask why they are telling "another sort of good news"? I would not become adversarial - these people are just dupes anyway - I would try and leave them with a question so that I could follow up when they made the return visit, like 'Before you return, would you look and see how many times John refers to truth in his gospel, and how often it is mentioned in conjunction with the Christ"? or "James' references to 'faith apart from works' - how does that fit into your thinking?

Might as well turn the old witness training toward witnesses, eh?

I think a sincere witness would give honest thought to that, and return to discuss it.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Tell them that the Almighty grooves on lesbians.

After all, the Hebrew scriptures specifically and separately addresses bestiality by both men and by women, but the Greek scriptures condemn only 'men who lie with men'. It may make a vague reference to women who 'forsake their nature' but it doesn't specifically condemn two chicks having a good time. Tell them that Jehovah likes to watch.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i would skip doctrinal and bible based discussion with them, and go straight for the science jugular. and the existence of god artery.

i would tell them right off the bat that i am an atheist, and they will have to prove to me that god exists before i will talk any bible with them. this of course will lead to creationism and the argument from design, which they love to use, and i love to tear apart. they also love to use the argument from personal incredulity, which i love to shred in my fallacy shredder. bwa ha ha ha!

of course, they will never come to my door unless i move to another area.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I was thinking about this just yesterday. If a JW came to my door now, i dunno if i could keep my mouth shut.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Piece of cake. How well were any of you prepared on the Service? Didn't really need to be, as you had ''The Truth''(TM), and anything the householder disagreed with was HIS problem (and anyway, did you ever expect anyone to bother asking anything? Usually just expected a ''no thanks'').

A JW can answer very basic stuff but always has to shuffle away from anything more searching, ''I'll get back to you'' - what's that about? Worried they may express an opinion that isn't from the Society? The average householder knows the Bible better, so JW cannot comment on 'Scripture' only WT literature? Makes me think that they need to be TOLD what to believe, especially as what they believe isn't exactly constant.

Oh - and I don't know if I'm typical, but, I study the WTBTS publications MORE now than I ever did as a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit