Mothers Doubts: Latest Update

by diamondblue1974 22 Replies latest jw friends

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Further to my previous thread I thought I would share an update with you on the situation with my mother...

Essentially my mother has been a JW for 30 years and we had a long conversation which involved me running through my reasons for no longer going to the meetings; she seemed quite receptive and agreed for me to send the documents and articles relating to the UN.

Well that very evening she went to see her elders without actually seeing the documents and asked about the UN saga....apparently the elder told her that 'this was all sorted out ages ago and yes this has come from the apostates' 'the society has never been a member of the UN and that this just a hoax designed to stumble people....' hmmn.

Apparently the Guardian newspaper got the information from apostates and that Paul Gillies isnt a true 'brother'.

The shutters have gone down and the barriers are up as far as my mother is concerned she doesnt want to see the documents and she has thrown them in the bin without opening them. Its unnatural to see how much control they have over her....I mean from the sounds of it his explanation wasnt even plausible but she has unquestioningly believed all she had been told. (probably because he has only confirmed what she wanted to hear).

I have thought long and hard about the way to play this and I am prepared to bow out...her stance and attitude has changed and is no longer receptive; If I pressed on then I am sure she would choose the organisation before me and I am not prepared to put her in that position nor am I prepared to deal with her shunning me either...(although that will probably start anyway after she has been to the DC next week).

My mother hasnt got long on this earth given her health and she is happy in the situation she is in; if she discovered the truth about the truth I dont think she would survive on the outside without the social structure she is used to, she has no friends outside of the witnesses, she has no family other than me that would support her....in other words whilst its wrong that the wool is pulled over her eyes there is no real benefit to her leaving....shes not being mistreated...other than spiritually...and shes predominantly happy in her ignorance. I am happy with life and happy to be out of the witnesses...everyones a winner in a funny sort of way.

It sounds like the eternal standoff but if she can accept my position I will accept hers...what do you think anyway...how would you handle this situation?

DB74

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

i have the same situation, i have recently decided to leave and virtually all my family on all sides are witnesses. i would love to help them see reality, but dont know if it will help. i think most people are followers, they want to belief something, they want to be told, and knowing any different is of no benefit. if someone is not happy in their religion then they should be helped leave, but if it brings them peace it is best to let them be. i have to admit though that it is easy to say, but very hard to apply when your own family are witnesses. i would dearly love them not to be in such a judgemental and controlling religion

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Just send her this link:

http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/watchtower.pdf

It is a document on the UN website that explains that the WTS was in fact affiliated with the UN's Department of Public Information.

The Department of Public Information is the same kind of association other churches used to "join the UN", so every time the Watchtower or Awake or any other WTS literature condemns a church for affiliating themselves with the UN they are accusing the church of doing the exact same thing they did.

• luna2
    luna2

I think you are wise to let it go. At this point in her life, I'd leave her to her comfortable delusions. If she's happy with her situation, I'm not sure what would be gained by trying to somehow force her to see the rotting drywall under the pretty painting.

I hope she can find it in her heart not to shun you after the DAing.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hell, ask her if she is willing to ask for herself by writing a short letter to the UN and the WTS. See if she is willing to find out who is lying.

Watchtower Bible and Tract Society
    25 Columbia Heights,
    Brooklyn, NY 11201-2483.

United Nations
    NGO Section - Department of Public Information
    Room S-1070 L
    New York, NY 10017, USA

• Honesty
    Honesty
    shes not being mistreated...other than spiritually...and shes predominantly happy in her ignorance

Sorry to burst anyone's security bubble but ignorance was used during the Nuremburg Tribunal. The bad guys lost and most were either shot or hung for their heinous crimes.

The spiritual harm she is suffering due to believing the WT lie should be a very major concern. It would be if she was my mum.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Db,

You're probably right to let it go at this point. You calmly explained the situation to her, you made available the information. It was (is) her decision to make.

You know I hate to say this.... But it reminds of what we used to get told about "planting a seed of doubt". Sounds like you did get to her. It's in her heart and in her mind. You mentioned her ill health, but, look you never know. Never say never and always hold out hope.

thoughts are with ya

meagan

• kls
    kls

Well you tryed but she went to the lieing source before seeing for herself but maybe there still is a planting in her mind ,you just never know.

• talesin
    talesin
    My mother hasnt got long on this earth given her health and she is happy in the situation she is in; if she discovered the truth about the truth I dont think she would survive on the outside without the social structure she is used to, she has no friends outside of the witnesses, she has no family other than me that would support her....

This is my situation as well.

I have thought to myself ,,, what is the loving thing for me to do, given my parents` situation?

Force them to acknowledge the real truth, and destroy their whole lives when they are sick and old, because of a need to be `right`? I think not. I love them too much to make their remaining time on the planet filled with more pain and sorrow.

Should I force them to choose between me and the JW? Deny myself the precious time I have left to share with them? After they are gone, that is it ... no more family. Is that what I really want? NO.

They are willing to accept me for who I am, an atheist. They give me credit for being a good person, and are proud of who I am as their daughter, in spite of the JW. I will grant them the same respect.

I understand how you are feeling. Follow your heart.

tal

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can understand the thinking, that for an older person who had spent so many years in the borg, with everything wrapped up in it, it could be better to leave them there for the rest of their days .But if it were my mother I would have to respond to one clear and simple fact. That elder lied to her! I would not have beeen happy to see my mother hoodwinked in that way, it is just not right..

Apparently the Guardian newspaper got the information from apostates and that Paul Gillies isnt a true 'brother'.

We all know the truth. Many of us have received the standard "Library card " letter from the society in which they admit complicity with the U.N. Also, what is this about Paul Gillies? I dont suppose he would take kindly to be so described by a congregation elder. He is well known, by the nature of his job, as the official press spokesman in the UK. A search of the official website http://www.jw-media.org/, revealed 47 results for his name . To say he is not a true brother is slander of "The society's appointed representative". You could say that the apostle Paul had the same trouble with congregation elders in the 1st century.

Of course , it is not going to shake her faith, any more than it does for my wife , and countless other diehad dub relatives, such is the nature of cognitive dissonance, but I would not let it go unanswered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit