Would JW's boycott business?

by Fatfreek 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I just noticed this item on nationwide news

The US Southern Baptist Convention, representing the country's largest Protestant denomination, has ended its eight-year-long boycott of the Walt Disney Corporation over its allegedly pro-gay policies ...

Has anyone heard of JW's boycotting businesses?

Years ago, an elder worked at the health food store downtown. He resigned as elder, became apostate, and that store went out of business within a few months. Reason? The owner explained to me that most of his customers were JW's and it was his opinion they were making a statement.

On a larger scale, what would happen along this line if a community became mostly JW's?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day fatfreek,

Yep, it happens but on a local scale.

Take for example a small town where departing dubs own some food outlets. these would be boycotted by the local cong.

I'm thinking of one NSW town in Australia where this has happened.

Part of the cost, eh?

Ozzie

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

Thats crazy Ozzie, but not surprising. Do the dubs boycott disney too? What about Multinationals is there any one they don't support?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Nope, asi stated it's done on a local scale, so it affects small businesses, not the large corporations.

• Purza
    Purza

Yes, but wouldn't a boycott be a "worldly" thing to do? I remember when this email went around about boycotting the gas stations for a day due to the high prices. Some of the dubs who got that email (and I knew them) were offended by it. They said that is something done by worldly people.

Maybe if they knew that a DF'd person owned a certain business, they would probably "mark" it and avoid it like the plague. I really don't know.

Purza

• Glofishy
    Glofishy

I went to a convention last year and they had a boycott of the food services in the convention hall. They encouraged everyone to bring their own food. Not sure why this was, but I think it had something to do with the convention hall and their contract with the employee's union there. I thought it was BS and I made sure to purchase lots of food and drink there and be extra nice to the workers. I showed them how much I appreciated their food...even though it really wasn't the best, lol.

BTW, if you couldn't tell by now, I am a very active Union member, and officer with my state union.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I know this happens. I have seen it my self but the most glaring example of this happening is Christian Longo. Chris killed his whole family and dumped them in the bay about a year or so ago. His whole life went down the tubes after he was shunned and his business went under.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Boycotting businesses is seen as politics, and is seen as inappropriate.

• blondie
    blondie
    Boycotting businesses is seen as politics, and is seen as inappropriate.

My thought exactly.

JWs will boycott the business of a DF'd or DA'd JW. Robert Bryant was self-employed in California when he was DF'd and saw all his business dry up when his JW customers went elsewhere. He relocated to Oregon but was so depressed by that time that he killed himself and his family.

I was told about one brother who was DF'd and several elders who were his business partners continued to have daily contact with him. One group of JWs rented space from a DF'd brother.

Blondie

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

The society would have to check first if they have and investment in that company.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit