how do people repent before they start studying or get baptized?

by Daisy21 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Daisy21
    Daisy21

hi every body...i grew up beleiveing in the jw religeon...my mother studied off and on.. due to problems in the family she never got baptized...but she allways beleived in it and so do i..but recently i decided that i want to start studying again..and this time serioulsy b/c before i was a kid now im grown..but for the past 10 or more years ive been sinning..i had a baby without being married ...and i used to smoke marijuana alot! but i stopped ...but i still do smoke ciggarrettes im trying to stop but its hard to quit cold turkey! my ?for jw please i will take advice from others but i really dont want to b/c i really want to study and eventually get baptized...anyway my ? is repentance is it done in one day or can it take time?b/c im struggling really hard with all the sinning i used to do but its not that easy to stop at once b/c then i might do it again..im going to marry my daughters father and i stopped numerous things i was doing but some take time...is that repenting or will it be repenting when i completely stop?please someone get back to me ty

• kls
    kls

Welcome Daisey21 , why do you feel you need to study and get baptised into the jws ? Your life sounds stable and have a baby and soon to be husband so why the need for the jws ?

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

In Christianity, there are many different thoughts on the issue of "repentance," but, in a sense, they are all basically the same.

First, to begin upon "true repentance," one must be moved by contrition, which is sorrow for one's sins on account of one's love of God. This is specifically to be distinguished from guilt or shame; love motivates contrition, whilst fear motivates guilt/shame. JW theology bases repentance upon shame and sometimes, public embarresment; so, in a sense, they are not motivating people towards the love of God, but rather loyalty to an organization.

• Daisy21
    Daisy21

hi and ty for replying..well honestly b/c i beleive in it...and i have been to the kingdom hall and assemblys before and it just feels right to me! i say it that way b/c to alot of people it doesnt..honeslty strict or whatever i rather live on earth then in heaven..and forever dosent sound bad to me lol...you see im not currently studying so i can joke around and stuff for now...but nothing else i can say but just thats my beleifs

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

daisy,

it's a completely arbitrary thing, repentance as a JW is. it's just lip service. you can repent, and as long as the elders don't find out that you are doing something bad again, all is good.

• Daisy21
    Daisy21

well i dont know...b/c when my mother was studying years ago she was still smoking ciggaretes and the sisters knew that and told her to continue the studying ..and just to pray for strength to stop..

• FairMind
    FairMind

Repentance means a change of mind, a change of attitude. Repentance is also an action that you take and true repentance is displayed by turning away from your sins. Like Isaiah 55:7 says "let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, ... and ... he will abundantly pardon."

Sounds to me like you are well on your way to FULL repentance. It may be difficult to give up some sinful habits (like smoking) but it can be done and the great thing is you benefit and you gain God's approval.

• Daisy21
    Daisy21

lol but wouldnt god know? wow i havnt started studying yet and when i did i was like 12...but who are the elders?lol people from the kingdom hall that been there for a long time or just the old people of the congregation?

• Daisy21
    Daisy21

wow ty for your positive advice i feel alot better!

• kls
    kls
    Sounds to me like you are well on your way to FULL repentance. It may be difficult to give up some sinful habits (like smoking) but it can be done and the great thing is you benefit and you gain God's approval.

Fairmind ,what has she done that she needs to repent for for God's approval ? Being human ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit