Was it really so peaceful prior to 1914?

by ithinkisee 43 Replies latest jw friends

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    More Americans died in the War of Northern Aggression (nothing civil about it) than in all other wars combined up until the Vietnam conflict.

Where did you find that quote?

-ithink

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:GBL you're a lot older than than I thought if you can remember back then.

Just reading lots of books man.

GBL

• IronGland
    IronGland

619,474 deaths in all wars from revolutionary till Vietnam.

863,153 in Civil War

WarDeathsAddendum
    American Revolution 25,324Bunker Hill cost 400 American lives
    War of 18122,260
    Mexican War13,283

Civil War

Union

Confederacy

Antietam cost 5,000 lives on both sides: bloodiest day in American history
    Spanish-American War2,446
    World War I116,516Battle of Somme cost 19,240 British lives on a single day (total British casualties that day: 57,470)
    World War II405,399

Other Losses:

Soviet: 10,000,000

German: 3,500,000

Japan: 1,500,000

British: 280,000

At Dunkirk the British suffered 68,000 casualties

Korean War54,246
    Vietnam War56,244
    Panama Invasion23
    Gulf War (1991)148
  • M.J.
    M.J.

Aso, the death toll is more meaningful when expressed in terms of percentage of the population at the time of a particular war, not just straight numbers dead.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Hey, what gives?

Aren't you aware that cults need a catch phrase to attract people?

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

We only hear about these things now because man has develped various mediums in which to distrabute huge amount of information more speedily. Waaaay back in the day the post used to take months to get somewhere.

• Pole
    Pole
    There are a great many historians who discuss the world from 1848 (time of the european revolutions) and 1871 (time of eurpoean nation building) and how those events directly affected world war I. The world was poised for decades for a war to occur. It was anything but a surprise.

That's simple - Satan and his buddies had calculated the 2520 years starting from 607 BCE. They arrived at 1914 and hence the build-up to make grounds for fulfilling the signs of the end.
    Actually I think earthquakes are the most stupid part of "the sign of the end". For reasons I mentioned here:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/88072/1.ashx
    Pole

• TheListener
    TheListener

You are correct Pole. But, I think (I could be wrong) that one of the points the society makes is that everything was great in the world and they were the only ones predicitng disaster lurking on the horizon of 1914. That simply wasn't true. The major European powers had been positioning themselves for war since the early to middle part of the 19th century. And they accelerated this after Otto von Bismarck was forced to retire. Reviewing a short history of the Balkans is also useful in showing the steady path to world war I.

I believe a collection of society quotes showing how prescient they are/were along with various quotes from period magazines, newspapers and other publications would be useful. That, along with what was really expected to happen in 1914 could be a very useful and non-threatening document.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    TheListener said: I believe a collection of society quotes showing how prescient they are/were along with various quotes from period magazines, newspapers and other publications would be useful. ; That, along with what was really expected to happen in 1914 could be a very useful and non-threatening document.

Exactly ... stay tuned.

If anyone has anymore before I start compiling my list let me know ... I'll work on it this weekend.

-ithinkisee

• Alana
    Alana

I get a laugh when my JW mom will make a comment about some war, crime, or atrocity and how things are so bad since 1914. One time I responded that I felt that our day and age was more civilized and that I'd much rather live now than in such times as the Dark Ages, etc. She was shocked. When I told her about how life in the past was an adventure just to live day-to-day and spouted off examples, she was just silent.

I'm currently reading a book called "The History of Murder" (ok, I love history and like to read of true crime, etc.....call me morbid....) It takes a look at history and violence through the ages. I'm at work and don't have the book here for exact references, but way back you have the Cult of the Assassins [1000's - ?], The Thugs [1200's - ?], Ivan the Terrible [1500's], Vlad the Impaler [1400's], Countess Bathory [1500's] .....all of whom were responsible for the deliberate death of many many many......usually in terrible deaths. Then there is just the 'normal rules' and 'normal wars' which involved conquering, killing, raping, pillaging. And then there are the plagues, famines, etc. Just living from day-to-day seemed to be an event.

I truly believe, even with the current wars, atrocities, crime, etc., that we are no worse than history...we are more civilized (if that means anything).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit