Was it really so peaceful prior to 1914?

by ithinkisee 43 Replies latest jw friends

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Was it really so peaceful before 1914?

The Society loves to claim there was an unprecedented amount of peace prior to 1914 and that WWI was a complete shock to the world when it began. Yet history claims otherwise:

1871 Otto von Bismarck - Lord High Chancellor of Germany
    declared that a "Great War" would come one day.

Quoted by I.F. Clarke in Voices Prophesying War 1763-1984 (London:Oxford University Press, 1966), pp66,67"Black and White" English Publication
    "The air is full of rumors of War. The European nations stand fully armed and prepared for instant mobilization. Authorities are agreed that a GREAT WAR must break out in the immediate future, and that this War will be fought under novel and surprising conditions. ALl facts seem to indicate that the coming conflict will be the bloodiest in history, and must involve the momentous consequences to the whole world. At any time the incident may occur which will precipitate disaster."

From 1871 onwards the major European powers prepared for the great war that Bismarck had said would come one day. And for close on half a century, while the general staffs and the ministries argued about weapons, estimates, and tactics, the tale of the war-to-come was a dominant device in the field of purposive fiction ... The period from the eighteen-eighties to the long-expected outbreak of the next war in 1914 saw the emergence of the greatest number of these tales of coming conflicts ever to appear in European fiction.

Was WWI the worst war the world had ever seen? Was it really the first world war?

The Thirty Years War 1618-1648 killed 3 million soldiers and 4 or 5 times that many civilians, 30%-40% of the entire German population died, and that was a world war.

The Manchu-Chinese War in 1644
    killed 25 million.

The Napoleonic Wars, 1792-1815, 5-6 million.

Taiping Rebellion,
    20-30 million.

Tamerlane in the 14th century.He went through whole countries, slaughtered whole cities, and whole districts if anybody so much as raised a sword against him he killed the whole city.

Natural Disasters

I found this quote on a Judicial Committee transcript on the web and would love to get more evidence of this:
    "As for famines and pestilence, that's no contest because this century has had far fewer famines and pestilence compared to previous times when there were famines many years and pestilence killed almost half the babies born. I came to realize that you couldn't prove the time of the end by statistics alone."

Does anyone have any more references or sources for this kind of stuff? I pulled these from various resources around the Internet.

I would love to have more.

Thanks in advance!

-ithinkisee

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

The twenty five worst earthquakes in human history:

http://www.geohaz.org/member/news/signif.htm

steve

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Great one! Keep em coming! That's perfect.

Thanks,

-ithinkisee

• luna2
    luna2

I'm not a history buff, but I think there was a lot of optimism back then, at least in developed nations.

It could be that not having the instant access to news and the ability to easily travel to almost any part of the globe that we have today caused those people who lived in lands not engaged in war to think that things were generally pretty good.......or maybe I'm just dredging up remanants of Watchtower propaganda.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    Luna2 said: I'm not a history buff, but I think there was a lot of optimism back then, at least in developed nations.

Right, but I think there always is a lot of optimism right before, and right after the turn of a century ... like today in 2005.

The turn of a century is always a nice way to wipe the slate clean and start fresh.

-ithinkisee

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Tambora - the Greatest Volcanic Eruption in Recorded History

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A781715#back1

steve

• TheListener
    TheListener

Please google the following: build up to world war I

There are a great many historians who discuss the world from 1848 (time of the european revolutions) and 1871 (time of eurpoean nation building) and how those events directly affected world war I. The world was poised for decades for a war to occur. It was anything but a surprise.

• I quit!
    I quit!

No it wasn't so peaceful before 1914 as pointed out in the above posts. Let's also remember that the watchtower didn't point to 1914 begining of the time of trouble and the year of Christ's return as they now claim. They said it all be over by 1914 and that Christ began his reign in 1874 so nothing they said came to pass.

• Voyager
    Voyager

The Black Death!

http://www.themiddleages.net/plague.html

http://www.themiddleages.net/plague.html

**************************************************************************************************************

The Black Death: Bubonic Plague

In the early 1330s an outbreak of deadly bubonic plague occurred in China. The bubonic plague mainly affects rodents, but fleas can transmit the disease to people. Once people are infected, they infect others very rapidly. Plague causes fever and a painful swelling of the lymph glands called buboes, which is how it gets its name. The disease also causes spots on the skin that are red at first and then turn black.

Since China was one of the busiest of the world's trading nations, it was only a matter of time before the outbreak of plague in China spread to western Asia and Europe. In October of 1347, several Italian merchant ships returned from a trip to the Black Sea, one of the key links in trade with China. When the ships docked in Sicily, many of those on board were already dying of plague. Within days the disease spread to the city and the surrounding countryside. An eyewitness tells what happened:

bubonic plague"Realizing what a deadly disaster had come to them, the people quickly drove the Italians from their city. But the disease remained, and soon death was everywhere. Fathers abandoned their sick sons. Lawyers refused to come and make out wills for the dying. Friars and nuns were left to care for the sick, and monasteries and convents were soon deserted, as they were stricken, too. Bodies were left in empty houses, and there was no one to give them a Christian burial."

The disease struck and killed people with terrible speed. The Italian writer Boccaccio said its victims often

"ate lunch with their friends and dinner with their ancestors in paradise."

By the following August, the plague had spread as far north as England, where people called it "The Black Death" because of the black spots it produced on the skin. A terrible killer was loose across Europe, and Medieval medicine had nothing to combat it.

In winter the disease seemed to disappear, but only because fleas--which were now helping to carry it from person to person--are dormant then. Each spring, the plague attacked again, killing new victims. After five years 25 million people were dead--one-third of Europe's people.

Even when the worst was over, smaller outbreaks continued, not just for years, but for centuries. The survivors lived in constant fear of the plague's return, and the disease did not disappear until the 1600s.

Medieval society never recovered from the results of the plague. So many people had died that there were serious labor shortages all over Europe. This led workers to demand higher wages, but landlords refused those demands. By the end of the 1300s peasant revolts broke out in England, France, Belgium and Italy.

The disease took its toll on the church as well. People throughout Christendom had prayed devoutly for deliverance from the plague. Why hadn't those prayers been answered? A new period of political turmoil and philosophical questioning lay ahead.

Black Death - Disaster Strikes

25 million people died in just under five years between 1347 and 1352. Estimated population of Europe from 1000 to 1352.
    • 1000 38 million
    • 1100 48 million
    • 1200 59 million
    • 1300 70 million
    • 1347 75 million
    • 1352 50 million
  • love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I don't believe mankind has ever been peaceful. In the US before 1914, people had firearms for protection against bad guys, Indians or whoever. The first 200 years of American history is filled with massacres, civil wars etc., as well as disease. So to me the 1914 date is a bunch of hogwash. Our modern lifestyle is way better than earlier times, well not every country like third world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit