A big problem for JW's in the UK?

by Jim Dee 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

From the Sky News Web Site - 23.06.05

GIVING THE COLD SHOULDER
    Doorstep salesmen who cold-call are to be targeted with the launch of a new scheme banning them from certain areas.

Residents who feel harassed by their tactics will work with police to create no-entry zones for them under a plan by the Trading Standards Institute.

The no-go zones could cover anything from a street to an entire estate and will also help combat so-called "distraction burglaries", which have been linked to cold-calling.

Persistent doorstep sellers would then be reported to the authorities for follow-up action.

Ron Gainsford, Chief Executive of the institute, said: "People are sick and tired of uninvited doorstep callers.

"We are particularly concerned about those who use it as a front for criminal activity.

"We hope the Government will act soon to introduce stronger laws - but in the meantime communities can do something for themselves, with our help."

The watchdog has mounted a campaign calling for in new laws tackling uninvited salesmen who turn up at properties offering maintenance, gardening and repair services.

Similar schemes piloted in some parts of Cambridgeshire over the past two years saw distraction burglaries drop by 11% in that period.

An institute survey carried out in 2003 showed that 96% of the 9,000 people questioned did not want doorstep sellers turning up uninvited.

=========================

Interesting what!!!

Jim

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I heard about this on local radio this morning - they're gonna trial it on some housing estates in South Yorkshire - but didn't say which ones.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Aah - but the dubs aren't salesmen are they?...................well, are they?????

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Nice thought, but it magically won't apply to the JWs somehow, and they'll carry on as usual.

However, I wonder if they can be got by the new incitement to religious hatred law that's coming our way in the UK. I'm not necessarily thinking about the pretty unpalatable things they say about other religions, but rather the hatred they incite in their members of people who leave the org. Could shunning be viewed as an incitement to hatred of a group of people (ex-jws) on the basis of that group's beliefs? I wonder.

ig.

(Personally, I'm not a fan of the new incitement law though.)

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know where I go to read up on the new incitement law? Is there a government website where I can find details of proposed legislation?

Thanks,

ig.

edit: found something... on ...www.homeoffice.gov.uk edit2: answer to my previous question seems to be no. The new incitement law is for much more extreme stuff than shunning it seems.

• Ellie
    Ellie

They have already tried a similar scheme to this in Spain, where even some towns as a whole have a law against cold calling, but it didn't work, I was a sales person over there and never took the slightest bit of notice of the law and I was never arrested or anything.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

If this occurs AND includes JW's they will take a 'stand' and carry on anyway. Alternatively, every day will be street witnessing and business territories day!! I can see their little faces glowing with exitement now.....

All this sun is making me bitter i rekon......

• bother_forever
    bother_forever

If in any way this may be bought to apply to their "preaching" work, it would only convince them that the end is now closer than ever. They will fire up with "zeal" and be ready for the barrage of abuse, and all with a smile on their face.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I remember Witnesses sneaking into apartment and housing complexes that would regularly tell them to leave, so I don't think new laws are going to stop them from door-to-door.

• Mary
    Mary
    Doorstep salesmen who cold-call are to be targeted with the launch of a new scheme banning them from certain areas.

Finally! Proof that there IS a God!!

I remember Witnesses sneaking into apartment and housing complexes that would regularly tell them to leave, so I don't think new laws are going to stop them from door-to-door.

Actually, I think it could for the simple reason that more and more Witnesses look for any reason not to go banging on people's doors preaching doom and gloom, especially seeing as the Big A, ain't nowhere in sight. I think alot of Witnesses would be secretly thrilled to have such a law in place.......maybe they'd actually get to sleep in on Saturday mornings!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit