?Anyone read CoC and not been affected?

by lookingnow22 20 Replies latest jw friends

• lookingnow22
    lookingnow22

Does anybody know of ..anybody that has read CoC and not been affected so as to leave/question the society? I myself haven't read it, but am curious about this.

Thanks,
    Looking

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

It was the final nail in the coffin for any lingering doubts I may have had.

cd

===============

Just to save Fredhall the trouble, let me go ahead and post what he will probably post on this subject;

"I read it, and it am stinky"

• Stacey
    Stacey

I dated a DF'd man last year for several months. He said he was on the fence but in reality he had no doubt that it was the "truth". He read COC and said that it was apostate garbage and written in vindictiveness. I dont know how anyone could think that. That org can have such tight reigns on people. Sometimes those reigns break, and other times they cripple a person for life.

Poor man... all he lives for is now returning to the Org. But, with all of the sin in his life, he just cant cut it.

The book did a lot for me personally.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

It definitely was the last nail in the coffin for me. I read it and had NO DOUBTS that the JW religion was a cult. NO QUESTIONS! Before the book, I always had those lingering thoughts:

"What if it IS the true religion? What if Armageddon DOES come?"

Now those questions and guilty feelings are totally gone. It also helped resolve a lot of the bitterness and anger I've harbored towards my parents. Now I just feel sad for them. I see that their actions are based off a mind-controlling cult. I want to help them escape.

Billygoat

• voltaire
    voltaire

Anyone who read it and wasn't moved by it probably won't be posting here. I read it and was amazed. I think the fact that I had been an elder gave me an advantage . Any elder would recognize the behind-the-scenes governing body excerpts as entirely plausable. They have the ring of truth as the society likes to say. I have seen internal power struggles like those that occured in the 70's leading up to the formation of a true body as opposed to the all-powerful president. I have witnessed inconsistent policy that seems to mirror pretty much what must be taking place behind the scenes over the blood issue. Being an elder removes the mystique. They're a handful of men who can be virtuous one day and petty the next. Some are inteligent, others are less gifted. Most seem sincere, but some want their way at all costs. Some are leaders,other are the proverbial rubber stamp. In short, the result is exactly what one would expect of a group of uninspired(by the holy spirit, that is) men. Read Ray's book and you realize that it's a big ditto for the GB. No more mystery= no more reverence.

• GodRules
    GodRules

I read it and was not affected by it. I realized that Ray Franz wrote many truths in the book, but what I noticed is that he got pissed because the GB would not do as he said. No doubt he had done much research, but lost his patience. It's a shame he made a bit deal out of it. If he would have been patience waiting for Jehovah's time to reveal truths, he would have done much good in the Organization. Because of his own stubborness, he is now out and has no control over the Watchtower. His pride got the better of him. Reminds be of Korah.

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Sel-ur-dog:

Comparing Korah's situation to Ray's situation has so many differences that one has to be a JW to be simpleminded enough not to see such. (Calling someone a JW is the best insult I can think of.)

Ray's conscience finally got the best of him, and he decided that he would no longer "play the game". This meant giving up power, not gaining power.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Ray Franz=Korah? Hardly. Korah led a rebellion, Ray just wanted out. The fact that he wrote two books is because many people kept asking, what happened? He has no authority now, nor does he want it. It sounded like to me, he never wanted authourity anyway. He was obligated to say yes. After all if you don't say yes, you are considered weak.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• Trilobite
    Trilobite

GodRules,

Ray's book does an excellent job of dividing people into those who blindly follow a manmade organization and put that above all else, including the lives of children, and those who respect actual truth and can think for themselves. Don't you think that's the case?

T.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

GodRules,

You make me laugh! Korah and Ray Franz are nowhere near the same story! You are comparing apples to watermelons.

Besides that, where in Ray Franz's book did he say he wanted authority in the GB??? I don't remember that at all. Throughout the entire reading, he wanted to live THE TRUTH. He wanted to live what the BIBLE taught. And that there were too many discrepancies between the BIBLE and the WATCHTOWER. He never said he wanted control or that he was sad to not have control. Where are you getting that?

I found the book to be extremely well written. It told of RF experience in a very non-emotional way. He stated facts and questions that he asked himself. I think more than any other emotion, Ray experienced grief and sadness over losing so many friends and family over standing up to the Bible. I don't see where in his book he was "pissed" as you said.

Billygoat - annoyed for the first time on this board

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit