Will the WTS Org change or Die Out?

by doinmypart 56 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

The WTS Org has:
    a formidable enemy (ex/former members),
    an enemy with an excellent communication tool unavailable in the past (the internet),
    dwindling membership and youth not buying into the dream,
    potentially devastating lawsuits in their future,
    etc.

The WTS Org is inflexible and ill prepared to deal with changes in the world. Common sense tells me they should change their ways, adapt. But the WTS leaders don't or at least they try to change in small ways in order to save face.

With all the WTS is facing will they change or die out? Ex/former members won't stop speaking out against the WTS, and potential members will be harder to gain. Are WTS leaders smart enough to realize they've got to do something?

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I don't believe they will change their core culture, which is the most devastating to their cause. They probably will change doctrine many more times going forward, but I believe that this will have little to no effect on the actual JW experience.

To me, it is not simply one or two doctrines that damns the religion, but the entire suite of arrogant, scornful, legal-minded views that does them in. And this, I believe, will be almost impossible to change, even if they wanted to.

SNG

• garybuss
    garybuss

In the 50's at the meeting Martin Anderson said, "We all believe the same thing, even if it's wrong. When we change beliefs, we all change at the same time." My parents sat there and nodded in agreement and 50 years later they are still nodding in agreement. Nothing they were promised in the last 85 years has been delivered and they are still nodding in agreement.

• blondie
    blondie

I have been reading Russell's and Rutherford's books in the last six months. The WTS has changed a great deal from then and will keep changing bit by bit, dropping doctrines through no longer mentioning them to changing them in a way that the vast R&F don't understand. So I anticipate they will keep reinventing themselves and some will drop by the wayside but they will pick up new ones who have no idea about the past. The Interne has made it very ard to hide their lies and lies about their changes.

Blondie

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The best thing that could happen to save the WT organization from complete and utter ruin is that many member of the Governing Body drop dead in the very near future and be replaced by a much younger more flexible group of administrators. That is a very real possiblity, seeing that most of the GB are now well past the average male life span, and the stress they now face may just help thing along in that direction.

If these old braindead members continue to live on much longer, and thier harsh unloving policies continue to go from bad to worse the WT will face complete ruin as the laws of US and other countries continue to evolve and no longer allow religions to defraud thier citizen by hidding behing the protection once granted, in the guise of religious freedom (ex: Cahtolic church lawsiuts). "The Times They Are A Changin" and a brain dead GB is not, time will plow them under if they don't change in suit.

The GB's policies have put them in line for many law suits due to thier stupidity and lack of foresite. Old men should not be in charge of policy making they are too slow and lack brain power to deal with the hard issue at hand. Old dogs don't learn new tricks very easily, and the GB are some very old dogs.

• TheListener
    TheListener

The amount of information on the internet is having a definite affect on the dubs membership drives.

Years ago you could turn a return visit into a study and then turn that into a baptized dub without them ever realizing their was a long history of changes and modifications to the core doctrines.

Nowadays when trying to turn that rv into a study the householder is very likely to google your ^$ss and see many of the things we've written and many many others. This has to have a very negative effect on membership potential.

Once the study starts they can warn you to be wary of what friends and family may say. Friends and family don't usually know about the study until many of the ideas are firmly implanted. The study can, however, review the internet immediately after a return visit was made on them or a very early bible study. Any truths that they don't understand they can google and get multiple opinions.

I believe this will force the society to change recruiting methods - at least in developed nations.

• badboy
    badboy

I haven't had a rv since I asked a question.

Can't think why!

• doogie
    doogie
    With all the WTS is facing will they change or die out? Ex/former members won't stop speaking out against the WTS, and potential members will be harder to gain. Are WTS leaders smart enough to realize they've got to do something?

yes, they'll keep changing their doctrines and adapting...just like every other religion. i don't think that the JWs will ever die out because statistically, no matter what crazy thing you can think of SOMEONE will believe it as the god's truth. my girlfriend told me that the other day on Oprah some lady wanted to get plastic surgery to make her nose look like Michael Jackson's. no matter what it is (MJ's nasal attractiveness or JW's 1914), someone will believe it. their numbers may continue to falter and that may cause them to relax some of their doctrines, but even if they don't, statistically there will always be true believers no matter what.

• jula71
    jula71

I have to agree with Blondie. Over the years the changes have been really subtle. And those subtle changes will continue. But fixing its doctrinal problems would mean changing the very backbone of the religion. The main thing that comes to mind is 1914, which totally hangs on 607BC. Topics like that they simply con not change. So I think it will most likely die out once the remaining GB start dying out.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

They're always gonna be around, irritating the hell out of us. lol.

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit