Many Stay As JWs Because Of Social & Family Contacts

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

unless you're afraid to lose family and "friends", there's just no reason to stay in the mess.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I think that's it, plus many don't have an exit plan.

Kwin

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, you need an exit plan.

• undercover
    undercover
    unless you're afraid to lose family and "friends", there's just no reason to stay in the mess.

At first read, I wanted to say that fear is not the determining factor, but in thinking it over, I guess it is a "fear" of sorts. But at the same time, stubborness and refusing to give in could be attributed to those that put up with it to keep their family.

If I was to say, "I've had it, DF me, you lying, deceiving bastards" it would show a little selfishness on my part. I am willing to go to the rare meeting, the occasional assembly session so as to continue to have family ties. Those ties are not always for my own satisfaction, but due to the responsibility that I feel towards those that need or will need my assistance in the future. To play by the WTS rules and walk away DAd or DFd would keep me from fufilling my own sense of responsibility toward family. My sense of devotion and responsibility toward family is more important than my sense of calling bullshit on the WTS in a way that gets me ostrasized.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I said on another thread ,

If your family was being held hostage at gunpoint in a bank, could you just say "this is such a sick game - I'm going home and watch the football" ?

HB

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

count me in on this.

However I do not know how much longer I can stand it...

• Sassy
    Sassy

Definately losing family by leaving is a difficult choice. I can understand those who can not leave in order to hold on to their family.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I hung around in the bullshit for ten years longer than I wanted to because of friends and family. I just couldn't keep it up any longer.

GBL

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think that most active JW's agree generally with what they hear at the KH and don't think about da troof much when they're not there.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Witnesses would borrow my equipment and tell me about getting together at a gym to play basketball. I wasn't invited but they wanted my equipment.
    Witnesses using me for taxi service would tell me what a good time they had with the other Witnesses at a weekly summer breakfast on the patio. I wasn't ever invited but they'd call me for favors.
    It would have been a little tough for me to want to stay for the social life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit