Do you have someone you trust?

by myjourney 23 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild
    Personally,  I can find the process extremely lonely and frustrating.-myjourney

Welcome myjourney,

My process has been very isolating, you're not alone. I feel less isolated now than I used to be, I didn't think I would get here. I started dating a few months ago and it takes away the sting of loneliness. I have met a nice guy, perhaps he is mister right. I hope so. But I also volunteer.

At first I came here loads and over did my posting but now I have some balance.

Just remember it's not just you. We all have a struggle when we learn TTATT and leave. But it's freeing and liberating.

Kate xx

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Welcome MYJOURNEY.

Places like this are great because you can vent whenever you like. 

I also really found it helpful speaking to a psychologist. . . . being able to speak your mind with no filters and no fear of judgement is a liberating experience.

• myjourney
    myjourney
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and great advice!  I think this is just the place I need to continue on "my journey!"
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Journey, you are so right in saying this process is lonely.  Once you become inactive and irregular at meetings, you will "fall through the cracks" at the local KHall. That's not always bad -- just read the posts from people who have been hounded by the Elders because they said too much before they attempted to leave. Some have been hounded down and harassed until they finally DAd or could be DFd.  Still, most are usually surprised that they get no phone calls or visits from their "friends" at the Hall.

It's lonely too, because in the real world, friends are not "automatic". There is no artificial love bombing. And making new friends is the most difficult task in setting up one's new life outside the Borg (IMO). Most people are busy and, of course, they have already developed their group of friends over the past 30, 40, or 50 years. It appears to me that old friends from college are the most frequent long-term friends, as well as current workmates.

Most JWs didn't go to college; have alienated themselves from workmates (maybe even offended them); and have never pursued any outside interests or hobbies. Our lives revolved around JW activities and most often excluded everything and anyone else. By avoiding holidays with family, many of us became alienated from them too. 

Good luck,

Doc

• flipper
    flipper
    MY JOURNEY- Welcome to the board ! Nice to have you here. Since I've been on this board almost 8 years now- I have made lots of trusted friends who I feel VERY confident in that if I ever need to talk I could pick up the phone and call and most of them would spend a little time or some a whole LOT of time in listening , being empathetic, and truly caring about my situation. And as some have stated here - only ex-JW's really understand what has happened to ex-JWs because it's been a shared experience in escaping from a mind control cult which most of the outside world does NOT truly understand. All people outside of the JW organization see is these " shiny , happy people " allegedly - coming and knocking on their doors telling them that they can live forever in Paradise. Most people think JW's are just delusional in a fantasy " happy " way - they don't really realize the dirt and skeletons that the WT Society have in their closet. They just know that they don't like getting woken up on Saturday mornings ! LOL. So if you ever would like to talk send me a PM, I offer my friendship to you. Good to have you here
  • darth frosty
    darth frosty

Give it time.

Personally I'm blessed because my best friend found JWD before I did (even tho I didn't know) we both pioneered together and served at bethel but it wasn't until 2005 when I left that I found out he was posting here as Blackman.

We laugh about it but it is a great support to have someone I went thru the trenches with who is out and we can support each other. 

For OP just keep your head up and look into meet-up groups with folks who share similar interest with you.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I have someone I trust. cantleave and nugget (Angus and Jane), have been a great support to me over the last 18 months or so. I trusted them with all the trials I was going through and the supported me and talked to me on the phone loads.

Kate xx

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    welcome : it's good to reach out to others . hope you find what you need here. I've revived lots of help through the years 
  • kairos
    kairos

Reconnecting with fellow faders, disassociated or disfellowshipped that were previously your JW friends can be very comforting.

Just knowing life is not over can be a big boost.

I went to a meet up this past summer.

That was very productive.

• myjourney
    myjourney

Thanks for all the great welcomes and advice!  I'm not sure if anyone can  tell but I "liked" most comments! 

I look forward to interacting on this site! Great place to find on "my journey! "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit