A Question thats troubling me........

by aud8 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jurs
    jurs

I'm glad you brought this up because it weighed on my mind when I was doubting. I think as a JW I was programmed to believe that the ONLY was to witness was the way JW's witness. I don't believe that anymore. There are ministries on T.V. and on the radio that reach many people. I've had co workers that are baptist ect. ect. talk about God to me as well as invite me to their church. ( I never went). I think its the Gideons that leave bibles in all hotels. Its not just witnesses who witness . JW's are told over and over how unique they are.
    Also, What good news are they actually spreading ? Watchtower magazines. Did the disiples do that ??? Why don't witnesses use JUST the bible. 2Tim3:16 Isn't the bible COMPLETELY equipped to handle questions and spread the good news.

jurs

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest aug8... may you have peace!

I am sorry, but I have to humbly beg your pardon. The 'good news' that is 'preached' by the WTBTS... is NOT 'good' news. It is a news of damnation and destruction for all those not 'like' them, rather than a forgiveness and releasing. It is a news of exclusion from the kingdom, rather than an invitation into it.

The TRUE 'good news', dear one, is that my Lord was not left in the grave, but rose a 'life-giving' spirit, and as such spirit can... and WILL... 'pour out' the life force of my Father... HOLY SPIRIT... upon all those who 'wish' it, who are 'thirsting' for it... and who hear.

ANY may come, not just Israel. There is no requirement that one inflicts one's flesh; there is not requirement that one attend multiple 'solemn assemblies'. There is no requirement that one go from door to door and keep little slips of paper on which they have written details about the person behind the door, as if they know anything at all.

The requirement... is LOVE. Of God and your fellowman, borne out FIRST... in telling them also of the wonderful invitation. The Way in is my Lord, the DOOR, through which any and all may 'enter'. ANd the feast has been prepared for any and all who would 'partake' of it.

For contrary to the WTBTS LIE... that you can live forever WITHOUT eating and drinking the flesh and blood of my Lord, the words of my Lord is what will prove true:

"that ANYONE may eat of it..."

and...

"UNLESS you eat the flesh and drink the blood
    of the Son of Man... you HAVE NO LIFE...
    within yourselves."

John 6:48, 51, 53

The ones you speak of are NOT 'preaching the good news', dear Aud8. They are, instead, 'shutting up the kingdom of the heavens before men', and, as blind guides, are simply leading them... to the pit.

Matthew 23:13
    Matthew 15:14

You, however, and any others who do not WISH to be misled in this way, can follow the simple invitation of my Lord:

"If anyone is thirsting... let him COME TO ME... and DRINK!"

John 7:37, 38

"COME TO ME... all you who are toiling and loaded down...
    and I WILL REFRESH YOU!"

Matthew 11:28

and along with His Bride:

"COME! Take 'life's water'... free!"

Revelation 22:17
    I extend such invitation to you, Aud8, and ANY who 'wish' it... and I bid you peace... you and your entire household.

Your servant, and a slave of Christ,

SJ, who endeavors to 'preach'... or 'herald' the TRUE 'good news about the CHRIST'... every single day. Ask anyone here.

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    I think its the Gideons that leave bibles in all hotels.

is it just me or am i the only one who fears these faceless people.........and how the hell did they get a key to my hotel room!!!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I disagree with the thought that JWs are "preaching" more or better than others. The church I attend is very involved in preaching. They use different methods than what JW's use, but they are effective none-the-less. How do they do it? Evangelizing in nursing homes, orphanages, and homeless shelters - both in the US and in underpriviledged countries like Romania and Latvia. Ministering to one another (members and non-members alike) through social engagements (non-threatening atmosphere), through Ministry Open Houses (formal atmosphere), and Bible Studies (with no additional literature).

When someone is "speaking" the Good News, that does NOT mean they are "communicating" the Good News. If a person is approached when they don't have a relaxed, open mind and heart, you are wasting your breath! I like the fact that our church takes a daily living approach to the Good News. It's non-confrontational - more people listen because we aren't FORCING it on them. I am proud of the fact that even though my church DOES NOT have a door to door system, that we "minister" to one another in ways where people are willing to listen. I think that is what God looks for.

Billygoat

• Grunt
    Grunt

The last thing any CULT is, is GOOD NEWS. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Moonies, International Church of Christ, Garbage Eaters, or any other controling group that demands total acceptance of their version of the truth, and demands that you spread it are the opposite of good news. Teaching the same lie around the world is not to be admired, telling a lie a lot of times is not to be admired, convincing a lot of people to believe your lie is not to be admired. Compassion, love, honesty, empathy, integrity, faithfulness and courage, now those are things to be admired and that is what it takes to get out of and resist cults like those mentioned above. That is one reason I admire many of the people on this board. They had the strength of character and the integrity to leave and now to resist cult bullies, which is really what a cult is.

• Stacey
    Stacey

Grunt,

Very good points! I totally agree with you. Yes, we have resisted and torn away from the cult ideas. But they see us as having turned our backs on "truth". Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, doesn't make them right.

Dont you hate it when a JW says, "oh but it's the closest thing there is to the truth". UGHHHHHHH. That statement makes me sick!

Stacey

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Aud8: Well, this is the "Myth" the Watch Tower Society likes to promote and have JWs believe. Whena person is contemplating leaving the JWs, and all other efforts to keep them fail, then this is brought out as a 'Trump Card' to get the disgruntled Jw to consider that the Society is at the forefront of preaching.

Here is something to think about: Millions of Christians (non-JWs) all over this planet preach the Good News about Christ, and with excellent results. Many are growing faster than the JWs, so their methods must be more effective than knocking on doors. Christians use personal witnessing, the radio, TV, missionary work, etc.

Wycliff Bible Translators are in the forefront of translating the Bible into more languages than the Society and publishing more Bibles.

So, the Watch Tower Society can point to their unique and ineffective 'door-to-door' work and boast all they want as they bash Christians, but Christians are silently working away without the drum-beats and self-exaultation doing a much better job, with better results. - Amazing

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

...and it's mostly cut-n-paste, too, but I tried to keep it cogent and zippy.

"If this place is so wonderful, why are we so hesitant to tell others about it? What is our problem with the concept of evangelism? My suspicion is that for many of us, as "come-outers" who were raised in Christian churches with missionary traditions, we associate evangelism with conversion. Our image of the evangelist is the fire and brimstone tent preacher or the door-to-door tract pusher, someone with a "black-and-white" view of religion -- mine is right, your is wrong. Maybe we associate evangelism with prosletyzing, trying to brow-beat other people into thinking like us. For many of us, this association may have played an important role in pushing us away from that earlier tradition and into the arms of UUism. I know this is true for me, and its lingering residue is responsible for the mixed feelings I still hold about the idea of evangelism. However, I realize that there's a difference between forcing your beliefs on others, and sharing them as part of public discourse so that others may be exposed to new ideas and consider their merit for themselves."

http://home.earthlink.net/~bethdre/Sermons/evangelism.html

"We can do many things in this direction. Here are some ways mentioned in his essay. We can:

1. Talk with pride and enthusiasm about our religion.
    2. Look for opportunities for dialogue (like I did this week with Pastor Chandler).
    3. Welcome questions about the Unitarian Universalist faith.
    4. State beliefs positively.
    5. Be patient and respectful of differing views.
    6. Be clear about our core values and demonstrate them in our approach to the conversation about our faith.
    7. Live our faith. Let our lives speak.
    8. Listen to the other person; ask probing and thoughtful questions.
    9. Give a personal testimony. (Why did you become a Unitarian Universalist? How has it made a difference in your life?
    10. Because experience is a source of our personal religion-making, listen to the other person's experience and also share your own.

My kind of evangelism doesn't want to deny the faiths of others. I have no interest in challenging their faith. I believe it is important to their lives. Mine is also important to me. I know my liberal faith gives my life meaning and I know it can for others. This is why I want us to tell the world about us.

We live in a time that has the largest number of unchurched people than in any previous time. When this unchurched population is interviewed, it is discovered that many of them would be interested in a faith much like that of Unitarian Universalism, if they but knew it.

http://www.uunhf.org/sunday/sermons/text/20010218/

As to the charitable aspect of church work, run a websearch on "Unitarian Universalist Service Committee" or "UUSC".

Gently Feral

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Jehovah's Witnesses do indeed preach a different Good News.

The Watchtower of December 15, 1992 said this: "The nature of the Gospel is often misunderstood" (page 3)

The article went on to state:

"Today, the good news includes a further element." (page 4)

So the question is, Do JWS preach the Good News (Gospel)?

Interestingly, followers of the Watchtower organisation are known as Jehovah's Witnesses, yet Jesus said "you will be witnesses of me...to the most distant part of the earth." (Acts 1:8)

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"There are two ways of moving men, interest and fear" Napoleon

• Francois
    Francois

x

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit