A Question thats troubling me........

by aud8 35 Replies latest jw friends

• aud8
    aud8

"This good news will be preached for a witness to all the inhabited nations and then the end will come" Nobody else is preaching any good news as far as I can see? What do you think?

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

as a current dub i would agree with you that no one comes close to the preaching work as we do

however are we the only ones?

look at the mormons..they have a big teaching project going on..it doesnt matter if they only the males spend 2 years.

The good news depends on what you believe the good news to be.

many people feel they preach in other ways...although i wouldnt agree with their reasoning....

to all the inhabited earth??....i think the islamic religion acutally has more worldwide exposure than we do. and there are countries where we are not even close.......one wathctower reader from 1925 in some 3rd world country does not "all the inhabited nations" make

• Francois
    Francois

Nytelecom1, you modestly claim, "no one comes close to the preaching work as we do..."

I don't think you can prove that. And one of the reasons you can't is that it dropping off ten or twenty old WTs in a laundromat, etc. doesn't count. As an ex-dub, you see, we are onto all the tricks about reporting time, and we know it's bullshit. To think it's any different anywhere else is simply naive.

But you go right ahead and enjoy blowing sunshine up your own pants.

Francois

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

How many times have you had to make it clear to someone that JW's believe in Christ, and are "Christian"? That was not an uncommon experience for me during my Witness career (not too many months ago). The look of surprised relief tells me that JW's have certainly not done a very good job of letting people know the "Christ" aspect of christianity/good news/whatever.

And really, what is this "good news" that we spoke of? It was all sort of nebulous and unclear to me, most other witnesses too, when I think about it.

• Anchor
    Anchor

No one comes close to what? Take off the organizational glasses and what do you see?

The organization is who tells you this is an organized deal, no Bible scholar, no such teaching anywhere. We're so steeped in it we cannot see it.

What is the preaching work? Did it mean knocking on every door with records of hours spent to prove it's being done? What is it that is being preached?

The good news that this generation will not see death? Based on chronology that Jesus came in 1914 invisibly and just just biding his time waiting to see who does what to vindicate God's name? Just marking people like Santa Claus as to who is good and who is bad?

When I hear this nonsense about JWs being the only ones to preach I really want to grab for the nearest vomit bag.

Anchor

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

sure i can......approach any active person of any religion and ask if they actively preach their religion.

now approach any active witness and ask if they preach their religion.

I'll make it easy for you...all you have to do is ask
    "Do you VERBALLY speak to others about your religion"

please follow up with your results.

bet i can guess the outcome : )

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Well, I guess part of the answer to this is how do you define "preaching"? JWs are the quintessential door-to-door religious booksellers (the "donation" arrangement doesn't change the fact that placing literature is of prime importance).

The Mormons, as has been mentioned, have just about double the membership of the JWs, and their house-to-house preaching is legendary.

There's also a new cult on the block, the International Church of Christ, which is very aggressive in "preaching the good news" and studying the Bible with potential converts. Of course, they have only been in existence for about 20 years, so they don't have huge numbers of salespeople out there yet.

With the great potential for the WTBTS to shift gears and become more like a mainstream religion in the future, I can see the ICOC taking over the role of "good news" preachers.

I'm sure that there are many other groups that I've overlooked.

• jukief
    jukief

If the good news is "Convert to my religion or god will kill you," then, yes, the dubs are preaching the good news.

Lots of other religions have ministries. Have you ever talked to 7th Day Adventists? They have an impressive preaching program and publish a lot more literature than the dubs do. And they're just one example.

I agree with others comments that going door to door and trying to place magazines isn't preaching. Neither is sitting in the car gossiping while others in the car group makes not-at-homes that still aren't home. Preaching work? Bah!

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    I agree with others comments that going door to door and trying to place magazines isn't preaching. Neither is sitting in the car gossiping while others in the car group makes not-at-homes that still aren't home. Preaching work? Bah!

what about dunkin doughnuts..........does that count??

• Moxy
    Moxy

there are certainly other fundamentalsit groups that would claim, nearly to a man, to be actively preaching, im sure.

what i want to see are results. take a random sample of the earth's population. ask them if they have heard of jehovah's witnesses. what kind of numbers would you get? hard to say. ill guess 30-40%. how close does that sound? but NOW, ask them what JWs preach and believe. how many mention the kingdom, the THEME of the preaching work and the basis on which they will be judged. whats the number now. under 10%? probably well under i think. any comments?

mox

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit