List of things banned to JWs

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Harry Potter is definately a no no, reading the books or watching the films. Its demonic and spiritistic.

Lord of the Rings is viewed as demonic. One elder really liked the Tolkien book as a child and watches it in secret so as not to stumble his wife and 3 daughters.

Star Wars was mentionned way back as spiritistic because of the way the Jedi use the Force. (I think a connection was made to the a false holy spirit).

Data the android from Star Trek: The Next Generation was viewed as a demon by one particular brother, due to his grey skin and lifeless yellow eyes.

Bible-based films such as The Passion of the Christ, The Greatest Story Ever Told or The Ten Commandments are "frowned upon", due to their being "Christendom's view" of the bible events.

Soap operas like Coronation Street, Eastenders and Hollyoaks (not sure how this one translates to our non-British friends) were mentioned on the platform once, as bad-association (allowing ourselves to keep company with people who cheat, lie and fornicate with each other, all just for a good story line. This "council" had the result that many soap-addicted sisters chose to give up their only weekly pleasure in life.

One sister was "stumbled" when an elder served alcohol at a "christian gathering". Since then, no alcoholic beverages have ever been served in any gathering organized by my congregation.

E.T., Fantasia, Jaws, The Matrix.... the list goes on and on and on and on....

Note that this is usually not official WTS doctrine, but they are often mentionned on the platform at certain meetings or even assemblies. It is often the opinion of one or two staunch members of the congregation who impose their opinions on others, but it is presented in the guise of denying yourself something because it might stumble others.

• zagor
    zagor

Going anywhere on a holiday unless there is a local KH, ok it is not official requirement but it is "strongly recommended"

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Buy Girl Scout Cookies
    I'm going to hell. like three hundred times over....

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

This 'do not let others stumble' really makes me so sick!

If they wish to stumble for such stupid things, just let then stuble and get the hell out there as quick as possible.

Well, that is that I used to think when still 'in'. I am still angry for this stupid reasoning though

Danny

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

"Shop at the Salvation Army" Actually, my old congregation did just that. However, they didn't like the fact I had volunteered for them once, even before I started studying with them.

• Frog
    Frog

those scout cookies are damn fine Richie I'll give ya that! What monster could say no to those cute beaming faces looking up at your with cookie crumbs in the corner of their mouths, not me!

That list is very comprehensive, which is great. There are as Blondie and others have mentioned several unwritten rules which you must obey if you want to be accepted and respected inside the organisation, these are probably the most debilitating of all.

Your wife must have some sort of void in her life if she is so attracted to the teachings of such a cult. I suggest the best way to reach her would be to explore alternatives in her life, other organisations, activities which will give her the outlet she needs, without splitting up her family. You will not have half the relationship you have with your wife now if she becomes a formal member. She will be driven by the private fear of breaking all the rules, and loosing her connection with god.

I hope that your wife has to see through all the smoke an mirrors. Having been raised as a JW from childhood I really don't understand how it is a grown adult could be attracted to such a life destroying cult that bases their teachings on a very rigid interpretation of their own bible.

Good luck, and stay in touch with the board, you will find comfort, support and advice here. It seems a number of posters have been in your very position:)

Frog xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit