Disempowerment of women – WTBS use of “that woman Jezebel” analogy

by cyborg 16 Replies latest jw friends

• cyborg
    cyborg

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experience. I could swallow the fact that only men were given main parts at the meeting (I wouldn’t want them anyway) but that I’m humiliated every time I tried to give opinion or make a suggestion, is just beyond me. In fact if I was even mildly persistent to make them see my point of view I’d be presented with “that woman Jezebel” analogy.

‘Nevertheless, I do hold [this] against you, that you tolerate that woman Jez´e·bel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and misleads my slaves to commit fornication and to eat things sacrificed to idols. Revelation 2: 20

In time I’ve come to realize that many of them were undereducated and couldn’t swallow my education (not to mention that it was British too, it is big deal here). Though, they’d never admit it openly. On the other hand, I’ve seen elders’ wives having a ball with congregation decisions. I mean you could tell instantly if some of them didn’t like something it didn’t get done or vice versa. In time I just couldn’t stand it anymore and started going to meetings less and less.

Just wondering if any of you have had or is having the similar experience.

• soundbox_guy
    soundbox_guy

I can understand where you're coming from. I think it sucks the way the sisters are regarded by the WTBS. Then you got the ones that do act bossy and controlling and the elders say it's wrong, but most of the time the elders are the ones married to these women so even though they don't directly influence the congregation, they do it in subtle indirect ways.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I remember a super righteous brother from our cong went to Estonia to be a super righteous pain in the ass over there. When he came back for a holiday he related how they just didnt have the correct theocratic approach because when the sisters gave their talks, instead of facing each other and pretending to be in conversation with each other, the sister giving the talk would (gasp) turn to face the audience and begin explaining the main point of the talk DIRECTLY to the congregation (how DARE she??), and how he had to work really hard to correct their thinking.

I remember thinking how painfully petty.

I want 'jezebelled' like you thankfully, just patronised like a child (pat on back, yes yes dear). And I agree with you any intelligent woman in a cong is doomed. The men in my cong were very ill educated (like D H Lawrences miners!), and were deeply threatened by anyone eloquent.

• blondie
    blondie

I have never been termed a Jezebel.

I always remind the brothers of Sarah and how Abraham was advised by God to listen to his wife

and

I mention Abigail and what happened to her husband because he didn't listen to her.

and

Huldah, the prophetess, who was sought out for the counsel of God although there were many male prophets in the land

and

Deborah, whose advice Barak valued and whose presence at the battle he requested

And I shall certainly draw to you at the torrent valley of Ki´shon Sis´e·ra the chief of Ja´bin’s army and his war chariots and his crowd, and I shall indeed give him into your hand.’" 8 At this Ba´rak said to her: "If you will go with me, I also shall certainly go; but if you will not go with me, I shall not go." 9 To this she said: "Without fail I shall go with you. . . . JUDGES 4:7-9
  • Narkissos
  • zagor
    zagor

They are full of shit. Most of those elders lack the balls to say something like that to their own wives so they must find other victims. You were the perfect target :)

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    I always remind the brothers of Sarah and how Abraham was advised by God to listen to his wife

and

I mention Abigail and what happened to her husband because he didn't listen to her.

and

Huldah, the prophetess, who was sought out for the counsel of God although there were many male prophets in the land

and

Deborah, whose advice Barak valued and whose presence at the battle he requested

And I shall certainly draw to you at the torrent valley of Ki´shon Sis´e·ra the chief of Ja´bin’s army and his war chariots and his crowd, and I shall indeed give him into your hand.’" 8 At this Ba´rak said to her: "If you will go with me, I also shall certainly go; but if you will not go with me, I shall not go." 9 To this she said: "Without fail I shall go with you. . . . JUDGES 4:7-9

Thanks for the scripture Blondie.

DL76

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks, Narkissos.....For those who have not read my thread, I discuss Revelation 2:20 towards the end of the article (in the section "Other Post-Apostolic Attempts to Regulate Women's Activity"), and discuss why the Society's simplistic attempt to justify its sexism in the basis of the NT ignores the specific situations the NT statements were addressing, and in particular those scriptures which do not support its view....

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

My experience has always been that if a female in the congregation was intelligent and elloquent with it, the elders and others in the hall would do everything they could to trample her down.

As far as disempowerment is concerned I agree; the only direction the WTS like women to be empowered is in their roles as wives and sisters in the congregation; what a waste?

DB74

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel
    Just wondering if any of you have had or is having the similar experience.

and thus my screen name............................................bwhahahahahaha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit