Are you a contradiction of yourself?

by IP_SEC 19 Replies latest jw friends

• joanne_
    joanne_

just like the song from chris kristofferson...."I am a walking contrictidiction, partly truth and partly fiction...etc." ...anyways...i feel like that all the time...i am a work in progress...

joannne

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Matt you like your coffee black and your iced tea without sugar. You eat your frenched fries with no catsup. ... You drink only the best, most expensive beer. When ever we are on the road, you have to choose the most opulent room you can get away with.

The implication is that you are being cheap with regard to coffee and iced tea, but have expensive tastes in other areas, but maybe it's just that you prefer black coffee to white coffee??? I see no contradiction.

You are extremely generous and kind to people, yet you let few people close.

Both behaviours are often a response to not wanting to emotionally hurt or be hurt by people. There is no contradiction.

Plus you have a hard time letting people be nice back to you.

This suggests humility, but can be related to fragile emotionality.
    These types of supposed personality contradictions are just different sides of the same coin.
    I agree with DanTheMan about the shopping stuff... why does there have to be 18000 types of shampoo and 4 billion varieties of toilet paper???

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I dont think we have to be a 100% consistent sorted person. We are a whole mix of loads of things, some good some bad. I think we take the balance of things to define ourselves by - i.e. are the majority of my traits good? Then Im a good person. But we can still have a good person doing bad things, or an organised person doing scatty things, etc etc

I think if we are looking to be totally consistent in our traits we are probably a boring accountant - I mean probably somone who never does anything out of character once in a while just for the hell of it.

Now, me, Im a really GOOD, HONEST, KIND person, but today, for the sakes of having a rounded personality, im off to buy a replica gun and escourt an old lady across the road at gunpoint. Does this make me a bad person???

• prophecor
    prophecor

I occasionally like to have a good shot of Tenessee Bourbon, once in a blue moon. I may not take a drink for a whole month, and dammit, soon as that bottle is empty, I'll have to go and reload before I feel better. I'll buy another bottle of bourbon and may not drink for another week or two.

Regardless for the fact that drinking for me is a rare occurence, I like the security of always having it on standby. " In case of emergency, break out a glass "

• greendawn
    greendawn

Don't like polluting the earth yet I make use of a car and buy products from environment polluting factories.

• trevor
    trevor

Most people appear contradictory in their behaviour but it all makes sense if we look a little deeper and examine motive. We want to have our needs met and achieve this by taking what we need from the world and the people around us. We may do this for ourselves or on behalf of loved ones.

The other aim is to get attention.

If we see someone as a peer figure we seek from them what we wanted most from our parents. Respect, sympathy, affection, protection. Or we may want to quarrel with them. Our behaviour with them will be very different to the way we act with someone else. We act differently with different people. If our behaviour or taste in things fulfils these two needs, we have succeeded and there is no contradiction at all at an emotional level. It is only when our strategy fails to achieve our aims that we become frustrated and question our behaviour. Or we may become angry with person who has not responded in the way we wanted.

We constantly project the emotions from our previous relationships onto people we meet. The more we are aware why we act the way we do and why other people treat us as they do, the less we fall into these traps. It is only when we are whole ourselves that we stop being needy and have something of value to give. The more we see the patterns that have shaped our apparently contradictory behaviour the more it all makes sense. In time we are able to have a relationship with ourselves that is straight forward and honest and then we are ready to have a mature relationships with others.

The same questions apply to our motives for posting here. Why did IP-SEC start this thread? Why did I respond? What were our motives? Perhaps we both wanted attention? Am I trying to help or trying to impress? What do we want from the people reading our posts? If you reply what need will it fulfil for you. Do you expect a response to what you say? If so why? What do we have to offer and what do we want in return?

• colorado5591
    colorado5591

I like a clean house, but I don't like to clean Everytime I light a cig and smoke it, I want to quit I work in a bar, but I don't like to drink Sorry Matt...that's all I got for now.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

hmmm kinda thought I was reading about myself there for a bit except I like sweet white creamy coffe but black tea, no sugar. Same thing with the beer & rooms & fries.

In those small everyday things - nah I don't think it's a contradiction of self - I like to see it as my personal taste.

As for decisions making and things along that line - again - some of us are strong in certain areas and take the lead when there is a need & yet in personal stuff we seem to hang back a little or seem hesitant. Again I don't think it's a contradiction of self - I think it's uniquely self.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

IPSEC:

I am also a contradiction of myself but I don't think this is necessarily wrong. Because life and people and situations are so very complex there must be exceptions to rules. What may look stupid to other people makes perfect sense to me because there are details that only I know about.

There is a method to my madness.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

IP_SEC

Am I messed up? I mean, I am a contradiction of myself.

Join the club! My husband hates cheese but he likes pizza. I think everyone is full of contradictions.

luna2

It used to trouble me as a Jdub that I thought my zodiac sign was very appropriate (gemini).

I'm friendly, but I don't have many close friends. I can be outgoing and almost too candid about myself, but I'm also very guarded, even with long term friends. Long, long ago (highschool) I was in a speaking/drama type club. I would write and give speeches in competitions. Had no trouble doing this in front of a bunch of strangers, but would freeze if I had to give the same speech in front of people I knew. I can be very passive, but I can also be very proactive. I like to laugh and be funny, but I'm also rather serious and somewhat melancholy. I'm smart about some things and amazingly dense about others.

It's a puzzlement.

LOL You sound like me in a lot of ways! And I'm not a gemini.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit