Kent

More puke!

Judging Jehovah's Witnesses
    Religious Persecution and the Dawn of the Rights Revolution
    Shawn Francis Peters
    April 2000
    352 pages, 24 photographs, 6 x 9
    Cloth ISBN 0-7006-1008-1, $34.95 (t)

WINNER OF THE SCRIBES AWARD GIVEN BY THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF WRITERS ON LEGAL SUBJECTS
    While millions of Americans were defending liberty against the Nazis, liberty was under vicious attack at home. One of the worst outbreaks of religious persecution in U.S. history occurred during World War II when Jehovah's Witnesses were intimidated, beaten, and even imprisoned for refusing to salute the flag or serve in the armed forces.

Determined to claim their First Amendment rights, Jehovah's Witnesses waged a tenacious legal campaign that led to twenty-three Supreme Court rulings between 1938 and 1946. Now Shawn Peters has written the first complete account of the personalities, events, and institutions behind those cases, showing that they were more than vindication for unpopular beliefs--they were also a turning point in the nation's constitutional commitment to individual rights.

Peters begins with the story of William Gobitas, a Jehovah's Witness whose children refused to salute the flag at school. He follows this famous case to the Supreme Court where he captures the intellectual sparring between Justices Frankfurter and Stone over individual liberties; then he describes the aftermath of the Court's ruling against Gobitas when angry mobs savagely assaulted Jehovah's Witnesses in hundreds of communities across America.

Judging Jehovah's Witnesses tells how persecution--much of it directed by members of patriotic organizations like the American Legion--touched the lives of Witnesses of all ages; why the Justice Department and state officials ignored the Witnesses' pleas for relief; and how the ACLU and liberal clergymen finally stepped forward to help them. Drawing on interviews with Witnesses and extensive research in ACLU archives, Peters examines the strategies that beleaguered Witnesses used to combat discrimination and goes beyond the familiar Supreme Court rulings by analyzing more obscure lower court decisions as well.

By vigorously pursuing their cause, the Witnesses helped to inaugurate an era in which individual and minority rights emerged as matters of concern for the Supreme Court and foreshadowed events in the civil rights movement. Like the classics Gideon's Trumpet and Simple Justice, Judging Jehovah's Witnesses vividly narrates a moving human drama while reminding us of the true meaning of our Constitution and the rights it protects.

"With a journalistic eye, Peters presents the convergence of nationalistic paranoia, the distrust that erupted into violence, and palpable religious bigotry against the Jehovah's Witnesses during the 1930s and 1940s. . . .This legal history, in the vein of Harold Berman's Law and Revolution, tells us as much about the intricacies of jurisprudence as it does our own shameful past. This engrossing study depends primarily on firsthand testimony, ACLU documents, and legal briefs. . . .Chock-full of primary resources, this is recommended reading for American and religious historians as well as for those interested in the history of persecution."--Library Journal

"A vivid depiction of the hysterical and brutal suppression of the Witnesses during the 1930s and 1940s and how their legal resistance transformed the civil liberties of all Americans. A story of cowardice and courage, well told."--Norman Dorsen, Stokes Professor, NYU, and president, ACLU 1976­1991

"A marvelous and long-needed book."--Nat Hentoff, author of Living the Bill of Rights

"An excellent and refreshing reminder that not a single legal doctrine matters at all except as it comes to bear on the lives of flesh-and-blood people."--Kenneth Karst, author of Belonging to America

"A fine work. Thoroughly researched, smoothly written, and a genuine pleasure
    to read."--Tinsley Yarbrough, author of Judicial Enigma: The First Justice Harlan

SHAWN FRANCIS PETERS has taught writing and rhetoric at the universities of New Hampshire and Iowa and is currently with the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

-------------------------------------------------
    Maybe someone ought to write this "historian?

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

About what?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

That it's more horseshit, OH.

Kent, is the author of this tripe secretly on the WBTS payroll, the way other pro-'Tower "scholars" are rumoured to be?

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

No rational mind would be pro-JW without a degree of JW brainwashing, either being a member or being a study, especially a scholar who should know to research everything.

I already saw this book like last year when I was working at a library. Yeah its trash.

-Dan

• sf
  • bboyneko
    bboyneko

Our company releases press releases and articles all the time, and are structured just like this:

The Jehovah's Witnesses, a worldwide church of about 6 million believers, are holding the third of three identical district conventions in Madison this weekend at the Dane County Coliseum. About 6,000 people are expected to attend and, if the two previous Madison conventions - held in June - are indicators, about 30 people will become baptized into the faith.
    Jehovah's Witnesses are among the best known and least understood religious groups in the country. They are also one of the most controversial.

Notice how it is basically an advertisement. is any of this news? Nope. And most 'Journals" accept articles for publishing for a fee from an organization. It's not any more news than an article titled Local man to hold garage sale tommorow

A local man is going to hold a garage sale tommorow. Located at 123 west street, it will feature many attractive items. Potential buyers are advised to arrive early. etc etc.

its just an advertisement meant to look like news.

The JW's payed for a FULL PAGE AD in the wall street journal recently, how much did THAT cost them? Musta been a pretty tune. I wonder how many rank and file know their contributions bought an ad in the wall street journal?

-Dan

• Grunt
    Grunt

I am against religious persecution, even of cults. If the book is really based on true events, and I believe there were plenty of those in that time period, then it might be ok. What the author needs to make sure he shows, and I doubt that he does, is the intolerance of the Witnesses as well. Show some of them with their sandwich board signs insulting and provoking these people. Show the whole picture, you know, witnesses shunning their children, their parents and anyone else who is critical of the Society. They are cut from the same cloth as the people who persecuted them. All I want from any book or show is an honest examination of the whole picture. Kind of like, "The poor head-hunters of Borneo are being pushed out of tribal practices and customs." Look at both sides. Condemn both if both deserve condemnation, praise what is praiseworthy.

• Kent
    Kent
    I am against religious persecution, even of cults. If the book is really based on true events, and I believe there were plenty of those in that time period, then it might be ok.

Religious persecution my ass! You sound like a Watchtower parrot, and it's tragic people like you don't know the meaning of words.

Where is the bleedin' persecution? If I say 2 times 2 is 4, and then state you're a god damned asshole, it's ok - since 2 times 2 is a real event?

Get sober!

And no, I don't know if the moron who wrote this crap is on the JW payroll.... If he's not, the standard of journalism and source critics are less than desireable!

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• troubled
    troubled

Trash or not, I plan to read this book in the same way I will examine "Crisis of Conscience." I need to examine both pro-JW and con-JW views. ("Con-JW," does that make sense?)

However, I agree with the above poster who said we need to keep in mind that JWs also insulted and harassed those in other religions with their placards, etc. Obviously, if the author is pro-JW, it will not address that aspect of it in the same way that a book that is against JWs may purposely leave out positive aspects of the JWs.

Depending on whether the author is pro-JW or against them, it's almost impossible (if not completely impossible) to present an absolutely neutral, objective view.

• Grunt
    Grunt

Quoting you, Kent:

"Religious persecution my ass! You sound like a Watchtower parrot, and it's tragic people like you don't know the meaning of words.

Where is the bleedin' persecution? If I say 2 times 2 is 4, and then state you're a god damned asshole, it's ok - since 2 times 2 is a real event?

Get sober!"

Were you drunk when you wrote that?

Even cults can be persecuted.

No one hates the Borg more than me.

Which words were you having a problem understanding? To me if you tar and feather someone and ride them out on a rail that is persecution, even if they were parading around in front of your church with a sign insulting it. If you beat people for not saluting a flag, that is persecution. Those things happened to members of the cult known today as Jehovah's Witnesses. That doesn't make the cult any less evil, as what they do is just as bad or worse. Just because they mistreat others doesn't mean they haven't been mistreated. A lot of abusive parents were raised by abusive parents. Both sets are wrong. Persecuting Moonies, Witnesses, Catholics, Baptists, athiests or agnostics is wrong. If you write a book documenting it and keep to the facts it doesn't mean the book is bad. If you write a book that lies or changes the facts, then it is bad.

You said: "If I say 2 times 2 is 4, and then state you're a god damned asshole..." I have to ask, were you ever a member of a Spanish congregation in Washington State? If so I think I met a relative of yours.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit