WT Armageddon Drawings Described as "Aluring"

by Gerard 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gerard
    Gerard

This guy is currently undergoing bible study and before his critical thinking capabilities were utterly destroyed, he seemed to do a bit of research on WTBTS on the internet, where he contacted me regarding Rand Cam shares owned by the WT. I was happy to answer his questions and gave him some bonus material on the United Nation's deal.

Some days latter, he wrote back asking me if I considered the JW doctrine to be a cult, so I indulged him and sent him well written documents I found on Freeminds.org as well a link to Quotes, where he seemed to have spent some time looking at the armageddon picture gallery. Here are his comments on it:

Dear Gerry:
    I would not like to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses if they do not encourage open mindness. I consider myself a critical and independent thinker.

Very informative material but also very scary reading. The one link I found most interesting was the article written by the former Jehovah's Witnesses.

The only question is Why? I mean how or why do people become under this influence. How do they allow the Watchtower to take over their thoughts? I noticed one thing and that is that this religion is a "growing" religion world-wide with about 6 million or so of these people.

So, that makes me think there must be something pretty powerfully spoken to convince these people. I did notice the other link with the "art gallery" images and I will admit it is pretty alluring...maybe that is part of the answer I do not know?
    Thank you for the information although, heavy, as it is was, it never the less was interesting.

Respectfully,
    XXXX

Although he claims he would not like to become a JW, I think he is a gonner, he will be assimilated ....

I am surprised -even distressed- that he finds these graphics "alluring". So, how many of you found WT artwork "alluring"? Did it make you feel you wanted to be part of this religion when you look at them?

• bennyk
    bennyk

I cut my teeth on the "Paradise Lost" book: it was fascinating!!! When one is very young, terror holds the attention. It may be compared to the interest people show in auto accidents and "action" films...

• greendawn
    greendawn

Their art was in my view was a statement of ignorance about issues they were too simple minded to grasp.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was too young to make a valid judgement, being brought up with it. I guess that I took them for granted . I never studied the Armageddon pics in detail and they never affected me, the way that some people say they were scared as children.

I sometimes had people in the ministry say that they found our artwork disturbing, but I just ignored that, as dubs do.

I dont know if this will work, but I found this one more "alluring" as asmall boy. (Well at leasr the pic shows up on my computer) alt

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ah, such a nice strategically placed bush....

BTW, does that serpent have feet in the picture?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes , Leolaia, that was the thinking at the time. It is from "The Truth Shall MakeYou Free" p89, copyright 1943...before my time but we had the book.

• ButterflyCharmer
    ButterflyCharmer

Those picture were creepy, to say the least.
    How can anybody think they are alluring.

Growing up with seeing those images, i wonder
    how i am still sane.

Butterfly

• luna2
    luna2

That picture is odd on several levels. LOL A lot of nudity there for a WT publication. I love the serpent with feet ...makes him more of a lizard, no? Poor serpent. The debbil uses him as a ventriloquist's dummy and God takes the poor reptile's legs away. That hardly seems fair.

And not that it has anything to do with anything, but Eve has some ugly, distorted feet there.

Edited to say that Adam is either standing in a hole behind that bush or he has very short stumpy legs. Somebody didn't have much understanding of perspective. LOL

• jimakazi
    jimakazi

The least aluring thing about WT drawings was post armagedon paradise, people out petting smelly lions [and the lions not eating them], every one grinning like inane fools.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's an essay I have linked to several times. Perhaps your friend would be interested in it. If he understands HOW they are drawing him in awares, perhaps you can inoculate him from the effects.

http://www.unc.edu/~elliott/icon.html

You Can Live Forever on a Paradise EarthThe Visual Rhetoric of Jehovah's Witness Iconography

by Joel Elliott

It was written to a non-JW audience, so I could relate to much of his essay. He makes a good argument that the JW's have replaced the stained-glass and symbolic iconography of the Catholic church with paintings of an idyllic future picnicing in the park. The JW's are not idol-free, they have merely replaced them.

Yes, the visuals are an important draw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit