Oh God Why? Tell Me Why??

by LouBelle 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Quite frankly I think we need to stop blaming god.

As god (in terms of an entity who will come and make it all better) is a nice dream, but a fantasy, we as a human race need to pull our freaking fingers out and realise it is down to us.

God won't fix it. The sort of politicians we have tended to vote for have arguably made the situation worse.

Can you imagine the genocide in Rwanda or the former Yugoslavia would have taken place if those countries had sat on top of large oil reserves? In a pigs ear would they.

Our vote, our purchases, have far reaching concequences, and unless we educate ourselves to what is actually happening in the world beyond our neighbourhood, State or Country, we can only make uninformed choices.

The most liberating thing about humanism for me is the personal responsibility. If I want to improve MY life or OTHER lives, it's simple. The movement is on MY shoulder.

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

( saunters in)

( says to self, man I love it when LT gets agressive)

( decides maybe a guy who wears skirts isn't to poofy)

( inserts alot of winks here)

Loubelle,

I have been, and going through the same thoughts and emotions, my older brother visited me this week, once an elder, and we have talked about this for years.

He told me last night, he can never return, not for his wife, family etc. I told him for the last several years I still believe in a god, but not the witness god.

Big breakthrough point for him, he can't call it the troof anymore....

My point is, believe in something. But don't believe in something someone tells you to believe in. You have children? Believe in the miracle of birth, and go from there.

LisaBObeesa, you are right on about the thawing effect. And frostbite hurts.

Regards and Hope,

NPY

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gyles:
    Amen!

NPY:
    Do I have to argue the symantic differences between aggressive, assertive, and downright argumentative?

~moons NPY~

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

whether or not you believe in God or not.. one thing that becomes apparent after you leave the JW's.. you have the power to help.. not everyone, not every situation but thru volunteering, donating to a credible charity that helps the ones that concern you, YOU can make a small difference.

as jw's all we could do is hope someone reached them with a watchtower...(and even back then i wondered why dont they bring them food or some sensible aid instead)

Trusting God will change the world is ok , but add to that SOME kind of activity to have some part in helping others, that way , all bases are kinda covered .

• Tez
    Tez

So why did I study the bible in the first place, to get answers that you are looking for. I don't agree that JW's are blind to the worlds problems, when i was a JW i would still cry at the atrocities being carried out in the world. I think the big question really is why hasn't God done anything already, and us as mere mortals cannot answer that question, we just look on and despair! But the world is full of people who would rather ignore the wickedness of the world, live for today is their way of thinking. What you prove is that you are a more sensitive, loving human being.. Which doesn't solve or answer your question I know, but without people like you in the world then we really would have something to despair about.

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

LouBelle,

The only Gods are us (and the only Devils too!). Human civilization is our greatest "group" accomplishment but we've got a long way to go. I was surprised when I watched a documentary on the conduct of Belgian colonialists in the Congo and the millions of deaths and human misery they caused in their "milking" of the rubber industry cash cow.

I strive for balance when pondering the horrible acts committed by humans with some of the progres we've made. It is no longer acceptable to "own" another human being in officially sanctioned slavery (took us a few thousand years!). We do have an international standards of human rights (even if not enforced everywhere yet).

While we still resort to war in many dubious circumstances it's no longer seen as a perfectly desirable, normal way of dealing with our neighbors if they annoy us or are just too successful for our own comfort. I hope that one day in the future we'll develope an economic system that recognizes the value of every human as an integral part of the human collective global society. But this is probably a couple of centuries away (if we make it that long).

As a hopeful agnostic with a Humanist outlook (though I have more violent leanings than typically associated with this movement) I think there is hope for the human race to "make it" on our own.

W.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I think this is much of the problem with the world in general and the US of A very specificly! If we stop believing in god then WE have to get off our fat lazy a$$es and do something about the problems! I think that is one of the biggest reason for the resurgence of "religion" in the united states! People don't want to do anything about the problems in the world but with the "war on terror" and the expanded news coverage we (for the first time) see some of the problems around the world on the news every night!

Ten years ago when you turned on the news you saw first the local news then the latest celebrity BS then the weather then the news was OVER that was IT. Now you turn on the news (or CNN or even FOX) and they are playing INTERNATIONAL stories! Even FOX while spinning the crap out of it can only spin the RL pictures so far! So you see the poverty and the devistation and the death! So you have two choices you can either do something, or not! Most americans are still very much in the not catagory so then you have guilt, so how do you get rid of guilt? We can't say yes things are bad but Chile really needs to take care of this mess! Or why can't Guam quit f*cking around and fix this! Most counties have it easier in the blame game! If the world is crap they just blame the United States but what do we do???If we are the "highest power" on earth then the buck must stop with us so we can't pass the guilt on! So instead of trying to really fix stuff we A) start a war to distract people and B) blame god. He's higher than us right?? So why isn't he fixing this stuff!!!

I think this gets right to the heart of your problem! For so many years mankind has been UNABLE to stop the wars and the killings. How do you stop a war on the other side of the world when it takes years to get there? Heck by the time you hear there's a war the war is over! So you have to say "its gods will" It's the only way to avoid going crazy! So we were all brought up to say "it's god." Now for the first time in human history we have the ability to see REAL TIME and stop things as they begin! This is a real challenge for those of us that have woke up from 50 million years of blaming god! You are begining to realize that god isn't coming he's not going to "fix it" we MUST do it ourselves! The enviroment the genocides the hatred the rape murder and poverty! WE MUST FIX IT OURSELVES! It's a stressfull awareness but hopefully soon enough people will wake up and changes can start to be made!

• Forscher
    Forscher

Hi there Loubelle.

Wow! We saw all kinds jump in there, didn't we? As far as practical advise goes, now is the time for you to have a good look both inside and out. You said that you haven't written God off yet, good. Take an honest look at the Bible without the WTBTS literaure. See what it says to you. Then look around, there is no hurry.

Don't let your experience with a high-control group imbitter you since that will cloud your judgement while you are deciding the path that you will follow. Find an easy to follow version like the NIV and remember as you go that all translators tend to color their works wirth their doctrines. It's just human nature. Many Bible teachers say to start with the Gospel of John. I think that is a good idea. John was a close friend of Jesus who wrote about his experience about 70 years after Jesus' death and resurrection. That gospel is the product of seventy years of reflection on Who Jesus was and what he taught about God. It is a goldmine! John's first letter also goes to the essence of what he was trying to say about God.

Above all, approach things with an open mind, yet exercise a little critical thinking while your at it. Don't just accept what others say just because they assert some sort of authority (be it Biblical, Scientific, or what ever). Test all things out. After all, your future happiness depends on how well you look into things.

Happy Journey

Forscher

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi Gang:

You may be interested in knowing that not all Christians believe that we must wait on God to solve the world's problems. In fact, according to Catholic Tradition, Christians are called to be Christian humanists. We are required to care for the poor and less fortunate. In fact, that is God's normative way of helping people is through the good works of mankind. (By the way, if you look at the last century, it was the gov'ts that formed out of atheistic philosophies such as Facist Germany and Communist Russia that killed way more people than regimes that came out of Christian philosophies including the inquisition and the crusades.) As a Catholic Christian who regularly receives Jesus in the Eucharist (under the form of bread and wine) I am duty bound to do what I can to make the world a better place. Pope John Paul II wrote in his Letter Ecclesia De Eucharistia the Following:

"A significant consequence of the eschatological tension inherent in the Eucharist is also the fact that it spurs us on our journey through history and plants a seed of living hope in our daily commitment to the work before us. Certainly the Christian vision leads to the expectation of “new heavens” and “a new earth” (Rev 21:1), but this increases, rather than lessens, our sense of responsibility for the world today. 33 I wish to reaffirm this forcefully at the beginning of the new millennium, so that Christians will feel more obliged than ever not to neglect their duties as citizens in this world. Theirs is the task of contributing with the light of the Gospel to the building of a more human world, a world fully in harmony with God's plan.

Many problems darken the horizon of our time. We need but think of the urgent need to work for peace, to base relationships between peoples on solid premises of justice and solidarity, and to defend human life from conception to its natural end. And what should we say of the thousand inconsistencies of a “globalized” world where the weakest, the most powerless and the poorest appear to have so little hope! It is in this world that Christian hope must shine forth! For this reason too, the Lord wished to remain with us in the Eucharist, making his presence in meal and sacrifice the promise of a humanity renewed by his love. Significantly, in their account of the Last Supper, the Synoptics recount the institution of the Eucharist, while the Gospel of John relates, as a way of bringing out its profound meaning, the account of the “washing of the feet”, in which Jesus appears as the teacher of communion and of service (cf. Jn 13:1-20). The Apostle Paul, for his part, says that it is “unworthy” of a Christian community to partake of the Lord's Supper amid division and indifference towards the poor (cf. 1 Cor 11:17-22, 27-34).

Proclaiming the death of the Lord “until he comes” (1 Cor 11:26) entails that all who take part in the Eucharist be committed to changing their lives and making them in a certain way completely “Eucharistic”. It is this fruit of a transfigured existence and a commitment to transforming the world in accordance with the Gospel which splendidly illustrates the eschatological tension inherent in the celebration of the Eucharist and in the Christian life as a whole: “Come, Lord Jesus!” (Rev 22:20)."

Jeff Schwehm

www.catholicxjw.com

• IronGland
    IronGland
    rapped by 10 or more men at a time

What kind of rap? With that many involved, sounds like the Wu-Tang Clan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit