Scientists create blood from human stem cells

by seattleniceguy 13 Replies latest watchtower medical

• seattleniceguy
  • sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I'm sure the JWs would still be against using it...even if it's their own blood.

I always thought the Bible meant that we shouldn't drink blood, as is done in many pagan rituals. I don't see why they have a problem with people injecting something into their veins which is already there in the first place.

• rebel8
    rebel8

That's good news!

Stem cell therapy has also cured hemophilia in mice.

• Scully
    Scully

This is extremely valuable research. I hope it some day renders the WTS's blood doctrine obsolete. If synthetically produced blood cells become a viable medical treatment, the WTS no longer can claim that "God requires" that it be returned to him. God isn't making this stuff, so God isn't entitled to it!

BTW, is there a patent pending on human blood made by God? No? I didn't think so.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I think the jw spin on it would be that the stem cells came from a human originally. That scientists used them to produce blood cells in a lab doesn't make them synthetic (in their view). I can visualize a quote like that going up on the wts web site any day now.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The stem cells may have come from a human originally, but these are not blood cells per se. And the blood cells that are produced from stem cells have never before been in a human being, so they are not necessarily subject to the requirement to pour the blood on the ground when taking it from an animal or person. Considering how much the Society has been whittling away at their original ban, I wouldn't be surprised if they accept this treatment (as they have with autologous machines and blood fractions, and other artificial non-natural technologies).

• Rod P
    Rod P

I think one of the results will be that scientists would be able to take stem cells from an individual's own body, from which they would be able to manufacture blood in volume. This would mean it is blood from an individual's own body, so it should be OK to use, even from a JW perspective.

However, there would not be enough time to do this in the case of an emergency. Which then suggests they may have to produce blood from an individual, but then store it for possible future use by that individual. Here come the "blood banks" and a whole new industry with storage facilities.

Rod P.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Wouldn't it be ironic if this is the miracle the WTS is hoping for?

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I think the Governing Shitbags will accept this treatment. It will lighten the public image burden of the insane blood policy.. and possibly make becoming a JW more attractive to ignoramuses . Terrific research though.

GBL

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The Watchtower has OK'd organ transplants, right?

Would this include bone marrow transplants? (This isn't rhetorical - I don't know what the traffic light of truth says now - red or green?)

Red and white blood cells are manufactured in the bone marrow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit