Heads-up on two sure-cures for colds, flu, viruses, etc.

by Frannie Banannie 36 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Do you know what to do for headaches?

Butterfly, I take Excedrin. They even have aspirin-free Excedrin. The reason I take it is because it's easy.

When I had temporal arteritis (inflammation of the temporal artery), which resulted in headaches of the migraine magnitude, I used to have to go to the ER and spend up to 4 hrs hurling and hurting until the demerol and phenergan took effect, then dopily stumble home and pass out for most of the day in order to get relief. I hate wasting time and one day I'd had enough and went to the store and bought a small bottle of Excedrin, because that's what I'd used when it first came out back in the '60's after my first spinal tap resulted in migraines-magnitude headaches....and it worked. Works now, too.

Welcome to JWD, Butterfly!

Get the railroad spike that is sticking out of your temple surgically removed?

You are an evil force, dude!

So, two caps of cinnamon cures a cold? Or, do you have to take them for a few days?

Lemme put it this way, Satanus....

I felt peculiar one night as I went to bed. I was sweating, dizzy and felt achy, like I was fixin' to come down with some serious flu bug....so I capped up some cinnamon (2 caps), took it and within 30 mins., the sweating stopped and all the symptoms subsided. I slept well and didn't get sick.

As someone who works at a supplement retailer, there are two kind of people that I have little patience for: Those who want you to tell them what to do and those who are not open to input at all, automatically assuming it's all about money. Both of these reflect a person who does not take responsibility for their own health by doing research for themselves, being completely absorbed by their view of the industry. My job is to provide general information. If I was a scientist, I wouldn't be working at the store. It really doesn't matter to me what people do, and I don't work on commission or anything like that.

All I can say is going to either extreme in a position of for or against supplements reflects an ignorance which may influence your health. In a way it is like toxicity and deficiency of certain nutrients. You can be so into supplements that you overdose, both in what you take and your view of them, or you can have an attitude of complete avoidance and end up with a deficiency, both nutritionally and in your knowledge of them.

Amen to that, Mark! I usually hesitate to post info of this nature online, because there are so many skeptics. I say that the proof is in the trying. You never know till you try it.

Frannie

• Satanus
    Satanus

Frannie

I have a bottle full of amoxicillin. I had to stop taking it, as my digestion just can't handle it. I emptied 2 caps and filled em w cinnamon. I'll give em a try sometime.

Funky

I did a bit of a search on cinnamon as an antibiotic. It turns out that the university of leeds is studying using cinnamon and other herbs as antibiotics in agriculture in europe. This is in preparation for when antibiotic usage as growth inducer is banned in 2006. http://reporter.leeds.ac.uk/495/s1.htm While they don't have the results yet, the doc thinks that herbs will enable them to continue effectively w them.

-------

It's not quack science - farm animals to get herbal remedies

Leeds research into herbal remedies in the farmyard could soon see pigswill garnished with garlic and cows chewing on cinnamon-flavoured cud. With an EU ban on antibiotic growth promoters in animal feed from 2006, alternatives need to be found urgently. The use of plant extracts, once dismissed as quack science, is attracting growing interest from the industry.

Dr Henry Greathead, researcher at the department of biology, is experimenting with essential oils from thyme as a treatment for coccidiosis, a disease of chickens currently controlled with in-feed antibiotics.

Dr Greathead said: “Antibiotics are excellent growth promoters, and the ban will put EU farmers at a competitive disadvantage with producers elsewhere, so we are trying to find sustainable alternatives. Plant extracts are natural and their production would help ensure a diverse agriculture. Above all they are acceptable to the consumer.”

Another University project is investigating the use of extracts from garlic and aniseed to increase digestive efficiency in dairy cows. Plant extracts may also replace the use of growth-promoting hormones, which are used to boost animal production in many countries, but are banned in the EU.

Dr Greathead said: “It’s unlikely that plant extracts alone will ever be as effective as antibiotics, but I’m confident that we can maintain high levels of production with good husbandry – and without needing antibiotics and steroids.”

S

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I have a bottle full of amoxicillin. ; I had to stop taking it, as my digestion just can't handle it. ; I emptied 2 caps and filled em w cinnamon. ; I'll give em a try sometime.
    I did a bit of a search on cinnamon as an antibiotic. ; It turns out that the university of leeds is studying using cinnamon and other herbs as antibiotics in agriculture in europe. ; This is in preparation for when antibiotic usage as growth inducer is banned in 2006. http://reporter.leeds.ac.uk/495/s1.htm ; While they don't have the results yet, the doc thinks that herbs will enable them to continue effectively w them.

Sorry to hear about the amoxicillin, Satanus. That's encouraging info you came up with on cinnamon. Thanks for the research which confirms this post.

Frannie

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Thanks Frannie... I'm going to give it a try...

btw... I found the following on the Whole Foods website:

Health Benefits

Cinnamon’s unique healing abilities come from three basic types of components in the essential oils found in its bark. These oils contain active components called cinnamaldehyde, cinnamyl acetate, and cinnamyl alcohol, plus a wide range of other volatile substances.

Anti-Clotting Actions

Cinnamaldehyde (also called cinnamic aldehyde) has been well-researched for its effects on blood platelets. Platelets are constituents of blood that are meant to clump together under emergency circumstances (like physical injury) as a way to stop bleeding, but under normal circumstances, they can make blood flow inadequate if they clump together too much. The cinnaldehyde in cinnamon helps prevent unwanted clumping of blood platelets. (The way it accomplishes this health-protective act is by inhibiting the release of an inflammatory fatty acid called arachidonic acid from platelet membranes and reducing the formation of an inflammatory messaging molecule called thromboxane A2.) Cinnamon's ability to lower the release of arachidonic acid from cell membranes also puts it in the category of an “anti-inflammatory” food that can be helpful in lessening inflammation.

Anti-Microbial Activity

Cinnamon’s essential oils also qualify it as an “anti-microbial” food, and cinnamon has been studied for its ability to help stop the growth of bacteria as well as fungi, including the commonly problematic yeast Candida. In laboratory tests, growth of yeasts that were resistant to the commonly used anti-fungal medication fluconazole was often (though not always) stopped by cinnamon extracts.

Cinnamon’s antimicrobial properties are so effective that recent research demonstrates this spice can be used as an alternative to traditional food preservatives. In a study, published in the August 2003 issue of the International Journal of Food Microbiology, the addition of just a few drops of cinnamon essential oil to 100 ml (approximately 3 ounces) of carrot broth, which was then refrigerated, inhibited the growth of the foodborne pathogenic Bacillus cereus for at least 60 days. When the broth was refrigerated without the addition of cinnamon oil, the pathogenic B. cereus flourished despite the cold temperature. In addition, researchers noted that the addition of cinnamon not only acted as an effective preservative but improved the flavor of the broth.(October 1, 2003)

Blood Sugar Control

Cinnamon may significantly help people with non-insulin dependent (Type 2) diabetes improve their ability to respond to insulin, thus normalizing their blood sugar levels. Both test tube and animal studies have shown that compounds in cinnamon not only stimulate insulin receptors, but also inhibit an enzyme that inactivates them, thus significantly increasing cells’ ability to use glucose. Studies to confirm cinnamon’s beneficial actions in humans are currently underway with the most recent report coming from researchers from the US Agricultural Research Service, who have shown that less than half a teaspoon per day of cinnamon reduces blood sugar levels in persons with NIDDM. Their study included 60 Pakistani volunteers with NIDDM who were not taking insulin. Subjects were divided into six groups. For 40 days, groups 1, 2 and 3 were given 1, 3, or 6 grams per day of cinnamon while groups 4, 5 and 6 received placebo capsules. Even the lowest amount of cinnamon, 1 gram per day (approximately ¼ to ½ teaspoon), produced an approximately 20% drop in blood sugar; cholesterol and triglycerides were lowered as well. When daily cinnamon was stopped, blood sugar levels began to increase. (December 30, 2003)

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I found the following on the Whole Foods website:

WOW! WOW! WOW! and WOW! Double Edge, that's terrific news you found. Ain't life funny? I just go around flyin' by the seat of my pants with stuff like this.....and usually wind up bein' right. But your research goes waaay beyond what I thought the cinnamon was good for. (ending preposition because "that for which" instead of "what....good for" sounds too stuffy and stuffy I'm not)

Frannie

• lilbit
    lilbit

Yay for Frannie being right.!!!!!!!!! Not that we wouldnt have taken your word for it anyway

lilbit

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Thanks Franniebanannie and all, good information!

I'll be trying out some cinnamon it sounds like a great remedy. I do think I'll pass on the L-Cystine and am glad that you added this information because I had a bad reaction to the "guaffanesin" in cold remedies I've taken so I'm glad to know that!

I've also learned that L-Cystiene is the "guaffanesin" that Robitussin adds to their cough syrup, just not as concentrated as the L-Cystiene capsules.
    Oh and I thought I would pass along my all time favorite cure for the common cold; garlic! Whenever I feel a cold or sore throat coming on I immediately crush a clove of garlic add it to a cup of orange juice and drink it two to three times a day for at least 3 days and I've always been able to keep a cold at bay. Even when I've already gotten the darn cold I use the garlic remedy and the symptoms are less severe and the cold doesn't last as long. Garlic is a natural antibiotic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit