Why the term "publisher"?

by Gander 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gander
    Gander

>> The interlinear says the literal is 'announce'. Are the words "announce" and "publish" really equivilant? Perhaps the accepted general understanding of the word publish was different in the 30's when they began using it? Otherwise, it seems like a really strange choice of words. Almost too obvious.

• Gander
    Gander

Definition of publisher: "A person or company that prepares and issues books, journals, music, or other works for sale. A newspaper proprietor."

Are there still other countries not using the donation system for literature?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Ive checked the synonyms for 'announce' and not once was the word 'publish' mentioned.

What was included in the thesaurus was

Proclaim

Publicise

Broadcast

Say

Pronounce

DB74

• blondie
    blondie

pub·lish Pronunciation (pblsh) v. pub·lished, pub·lish·ing, pub·lish·es v.tr. 1. To prepare and issue (printed material) for public distribution or sale. 2. To bring to the public attention; announce. See Synonyms at announce. v.intr. 1. To issue a publication. 2. To be the writer or author of published works or a work. law code dictionary publish
    v. to make public to at least one other person by any means. The definitions above to cover the concept of announcing or making public a message. It means more than publishing a book or magazine.

• Gander
    Gander

>> To bring to the public attention; announce.

I've always associated "publish" with preaching and wanted to know if this was a valid understanding of the word or not. Your answer is appreciated.

• blondie
    blondie

Isaiah 61:1

The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to publish good tidings to the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; WBS (Webster's Bible Translation)

Psalm 68:11

The Lord giveth the word: The women that publish the tidings are a great host. ASV (American Standard Version)

http://www.geocities.com/zacharyaustinharris/kerusso.html

• TheListener
    TheListener

Yeah publisher... I like that.... makes me feel accomplished. "I'm published don't ya know"

I also like attending a convention. Sometimes I carry a big state sign and yell "THE GREAT STATE OF APOSTASY, HOME OF FREE THINKING AND MAPLE SYRUP CASTS 26 APOSTATE VOTES FOR RAY FRANZ!" - you know just like the real democratic and republican conventions which the districts are modeled after.

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Interesting, I have been wondering that myself. I joined this site because my wife has gotten involved with JW's since some time late 2004. Anyone care to explain the term 'overseer' as well? My wife mentioned someone called an overseer, from what she said I get the impression its like a travelling minister or something, with VIP status. I really have no idea though, that's just my educated guess.

"Publishing" in the legal sense is defined as making something public, circulating it, making it known to people in general. A "publisher" is one who by himself or his agent makes something publicly known.

I guess the JWs can get away with calling their folks "publishers" in the legal sense. "Home wreckers" seems to be a more appropriate title.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit