Why the term "publisher"?

by Gander 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gander
    Gander

Does anyone know why the term "publisher" was chosen to describe an individual that goes from door-to-door preaching about the bible as a Jehovah's Witness? Was this term always used? It certainly makes the focus of the work to be aimed towards literature distribution over anything else. Any history on this would be appreciated.

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

Advertise. Advertise the King and his Kingdom....

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

It comes from the kone (sorry the greek characters dont work ) In ancient times blah blah blah, first century christians blah blah blah. It is therefore reasonalbe that blah blah blah.

Naw, I cant say this for sure but I think it probably goes back to the, Advertise Advertise Advertise talk. As publicity agents for the kingdom.

But... since they are a book publishing co, and since congos used to be called companies its not a stretch to say that its because they sell books.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Acts 15:36) 36 Now after some days Paul said to Bar´na·bas: "Above all things, let us return and visit the brothers in every one of the cities in which we published the word of Jehovah to see how they are."

• greendawn
    greendawn

It does make them sound like a business and that's indeed what they are, a business trying to behave like a religion. This explains many of their behavioural patterns such as intolerence to all criticism and refusing to accept any of the annointed in the inner circle of the GB. It's a business and no outside JWs should meddle in it or try to undermine it.

• Gander
    Gander

>> refusing to accept any of the annointed in the inner circle of the GB

I am unsure what you mean on this portion of your comment. Could you elaborate? Am I mistaken in thinking that all of the GB proclaim they are annointed?

• blondie
    blondie

JWs weren't always called publishers as this quote seems to indicate.

Proclaimers Book chap. 33 Continuing to Keep on the Watch ***

To be counted as a class worker (congregation publisher), one had to devote at least 3 hours a week (or 12 per month) to the field service, according to the "Bulletin" of January 1, 1929. Sharpshooters (isolated publishers) were to devote at least two hours per week to witnessing.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

I checked 8 other translations, & they ALL said proclaim, or preach--NOT publish as in books.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

The interlinear says the literal is 'announce'.

• Gander
    Gander

>> To be counted as a class worker (congregation publisher), one had to devote at
    >> least 3 hours a week (or 12 per month) to the field service, according to the
    >> "Bulletin" of January 1, 1929. Sharpshooters (isolated publishers) were to devote
    >> at least two hours per week to witnessing.

Interesting... the things I've never read before. "Sharpshooters?" Bizarre.

So you weren't even counted as a publisher unless you got at least 8 hours in a month. I wonder how that would affect the statistics today? (Well... I don't have to wonder.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit