When and why was the Holy Spirit reinstated?

by bob1999 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bob1999
    bob1999

GD, Yes I know, I was just pointing out one more falsehood. Most the time when they change, they give a retraction of some sort. I can't find it for this one. Peace....

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Bob,

I suspect Odrade has it right and it was just a way of rehashing the 1918-1919 corporate scenario -- in that case the answer might be right in the book you refer to. Have you got an online link to it or a scan?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The Holy Spirit didn't have to be reinstated because He/She/It never left.

Perhaps it was temporarily assigned to where the need was greater.

Rub a Dub

• bob1999
    bob1999

Narkissos, one of the books was written in 1932, (perservation) Rutherford states that the Holy Spirit was "taken away" in 1918 when Christ "came to the temple". And again, in the book salvetion from 1939. So according to the WTS the Holy Spirit was out of a job for at least 20 years.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

You didn't get my point. I think those Rutherford books may say that the Spirit was taken away in 1918 but restored in 1919 or something like that. You suggest that they taught the Spirit was taken away permanently, which I doubt. That's why I'd like to see those quotations in their context.

• bob1999
    bob1999

Your not getting my point. According to Rutherford, Jesus is here now and using the angles, whom He is directing, to do the work that the Holy Spirit used to do. According to Rutherford, the angels are the ones giving new light to the WTS. Not the Holy Spirit. All of this can be found on line. www.towerwatch.com/articles_and_stories/ articles/angelic_direction.htm http://www.cftf.com/daniel/daniel/daniel_05.htm I just found my answer while looking up sites for you. http://www.johnankerberg.com/Articles/apologetics/AP0602W2.htm "Some may wonder at the wording of Rutherford that Jesus returned to his "temple" in 1918. He explains this in the 1941 booklet, "Theocracy," page 32: "In 1918 the Lord Jesus came to the temple of Jehovah, that is to say, to the body of consecrated Christians." Since the body of Christ was identified by Rutherford as this "temple of the holy spirit" that meant that the holy spirit was removed from the body of Christ! A shocking development! Rutherford removed himself shortly thereafter by dying, and Nathan Knorr took over the Presidency in 1942. He quickly did away with Rutherford’s strange teachings by saying in the Watchtower of August 15, 1944 on page 252, "However, the holy spirit is not removed or taken away from the remnant." So Rutherford, from 1930 until he died, taught that the Holy Spirit was taken away in 1918 and his successor reinstated the Holy Spirit in 1942. Thanks....

• garybuss
    garybuss

Bob, you got it right. I thought everybody knew about this. HS retired in 1918. I found it a couple places in Rutherford's work.

The best place to hide something from a Jehovah's Witness is in the Watchtower.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Happy to be free at last from the wacked-out cult full of demonz.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Very interesting indeed. Thank you Bob.

And, no, I don't think I ever heard of that. I was never so much interested in the WT old light when I was a JW, nor in anything JW-related afterward -- until I got on xJW sites.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Gary! "The best place to hide something from the rank and file is in the Watchtower." So true!

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit