Is the Watchtower hurting financially?

by truthseeker 58 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

And what happens after these old timers die off? Do their children or grandchildren contribute heavily?

Are their kids or grand kids even in the 'truth' anymore?

A 100,000 bucks sounds like a lot - but as a one shot deal, the Society can go thru that cash in an instant, playing expenses.

It would wonderful to stick the Watchtower with some sort of sales tax - possibly based on their billing congregations

for literature or even assembly shortfalls.

metatron

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Does anybody know firsthand which countries still charge for literature?

• Rod P
    Rod P

Well, if the Society is really having financial difficulties, all they gotta do is come up with some "New Light" and introduce "Tithing" into the mix. Then they could back off all these complicated literature schemes and scams.

The Mormons and the Catholics have been tithing their memberships all along, and they have prospered.

There would be no question that these are simple donations, and hence not taxable.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Rod P.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The only thing the Watch Tower Corporation understands is barter. The barter cash donations in exchange for literature shipments. They barter recorded unpaid labor for positions of authority inside the group, and they barter "service" to the "organization" for salvation.

Everything they do and require is tangible, material. They talk spiritual but they behave material. All the Witness group is, is the unqualified, directing the untrained, to oversee the ungrateful.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Whistle http://www.dannyhaszard.com/taxletter.htm Blowing the Whistle on the Watchtower re: sales tax fraud

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

They can't be doing so badly.

I have it from an insider that they pay at least $ 500 000 a year for accountants fees (non JW). (I got that fifteen years ago.)

When the US was affected by a hurricane, it took nearly two years to count the money the brothers sent in.

AND the top guys in Bethel have business accounts to pay for entertaining their worldly accountants.

It's like the "deficits" at the assemblies. Having allocated funds for themselves, they then need money to pay for the others' needs.

HB

• metatron
    metatron

What you reveal would be even better news!

If they toss money at expense accounts and outside auditors, so much the better. The rank and file get reduced

literature shipments, no food at assemblies, no subscriptions, and the Awake issues cut by half. I'm glad to hear

that they never spare themselves!

metatron

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    GaryBuss,Every employee of Barnes and Nobles doesn't have to get a sales tax license. They only have one per business. If Witnesses are really wanting to be in the door to door sales business, the most they would have to get is one tax license per congregation. The Society could just sell everything wholesale and simply submit sales tax on their direct sales such as those in their book store.

One of the points of my post was that the WTS would NEVER setup a centralized seller, not at the congregation level or even at the Organization level. The reason is because one of the WTS's greatest legal defenses against lawsuits is that they have no Agency over individual JWs or congregations.

As an example, lets say a dumbass JW damages a homeowner's property while going door-to-door. The homeowner will try to sue the individual JW, the congregation and the WTS. The WTS will then send in lawyers who will deny that the JW was working for the WTS or the congregation. The WTS lawyers will insist that the individual JW was acting on his own. The end result will be that the local congregation and the WTS will be dropped from the case leaving the individual JW solely responsible. Basically the WTS will hang the JW out to dry. I have seen several court cases where this has happened.

Now, lets say the WTS decides to setup congregations as the "seller" who will be paying the taxes. This means that the congregation will be forced to acknowledge that the individual JWs are working for the congregation. Once this happens it will expose the congregation and possibly even the WTS to liability should a dumbass JW manage to get sued while selling the literature.

This is one of the primary reasons the WTS would never under any circumstances decide to sell the literature.

The bottom line is this: If they start selling the literature, they will be forced to accept liability for the actions of JWs. If they continue with the "donation arrangement" they will continue to loose money.

Something tells me they are more interested in protecting their pocket book than spreading the "good news" out. This is why the WTS will die a slow financial death.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Thanks for the reply. You wrote: "This is why the WTS will die a slow financial death."

I hope you're right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit