Sleep Apnea... anyone?

by hillbilly 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I recently went on a c-Pap machine for as an apnea treatment. Anyone else using this therapy? How's it working for you?

~Hill

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I recently started using the machine as well. It was tough to get used to and I found myself taking the tubes off in my sleep. So I stopped using it for a few months to get out of that habbit and am going to start up again very soon.

Kwin

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

my little boy had it, but it was due to enlarged adnoids and tonsils, he snored like a little old man and the scary thing was when he would stop breathing for several seconds. He has since had his adnoids and tonsils removed (at 16 months old) no more snoring and he sleeps through the night. It's inherited, my dad also had it pretty bad. He also ended up having his tonsils removed and adnoids as well as lengthening his tongue, the procedure grossed me out so I can't even explain that part of it (he's 60). It's a very serious condition, I wish you luck on any procedure you choose and I hope you can eventually get a good nights rest.

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

My dad had it bad. Since getting the machine he says he feels 20 years younger, makes better decisions etc. For him it was a wonder treatment

My step dad also has a machine. Since starting on it he's quit drinking and is in the best shape he has been in for years.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I've been on the c-pap for about 3 years. It's great!! Used to sleep 10 hours a day and feel tired out. Can sleep 3-4 hours and feel like I've slept all night. I use the cyborg looking Head Gear because it's light and doesn't smother me like the oxygen mask thingy.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I've wrestled with it for over 10 years now. I am finally getting the sleep that I've been missing for years.

After going to sleep labs and having adjustments made in pressure changes for air output, I took upon myself to make the adjustments myself. I have no health coverage so I couldn't use the services of a sleep clinic.

A small screw in the back of my Tranquility Quest is the adjuster to increase or decrease air pressure. After a long drawn out process of about two years, hit and miss seeking the proper adjustment, I finally got it right about 9 months ago. After cranking it way up one night, as I used to get terrible sleep because the pressure wasn't strong enough to keep the air passages in my throat open, I'd begin to get some really good sleep. My neighbor next door who also suffers from the situation was a blessing because after finding out my plight with sleep apnea and having no health coverage, she saw to it that I got a new mask on her health coverage plan as mines had been on its last leg for ages. It, too, was the begining of some of the best sleep that I've been able to acquire in years.

• Scully
    Scully

After 15 years of waking up repeatedly at night due to Mr Scully's snoring, the last 5 years has been a dramatic improvement since the c-pap machine. My working night shift helps tremendously too.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I'm not sure what is sleep apnea?

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi Hillbilly & Soledad. Here's a link to a thread about sleep apnea started sometime earlier in the year.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/83838/1.ashx

In short, Soledad, sleep apnea is a complication of the respiratory system. Snoring heavily causes one to have reduced oxygen content in their blood levels. Snoring becomes such a problem for some of us that during sleep, our air passage ways in the throat lock up causing one to suffocate periodically. You force yourself in and out of wakefullness, shifting and twisting in bed but your sleep is so disturbed that when you've awakened, even with several hours of sleep, your still tired, feeling as if no sleep has been had, whatsoever.

The restrictions in breathing are often associated with high blood pressure, strokes and heart attacks. Anyone with a complaining bed partner as to the frequency and depth of your snoring should be seen by a sleep therapist to detect as to whether or not you have such a disorder.

Football great Reggie White recently died of complications due to sleep apnea. Snoring is often viewed as comical but it is no laughing matter. Getting the sleep needed can make the difference between night and day. It's literally a life or death struggle.

Arthur

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Been there, done that. I was on a CPAP for several years, until I lost weight. I weighed over 400 lb., and had severe sleep apnea; the sleep tech said I stopped breathing over 100 times per hour. Also, I snored loudly. I've since lost almost 180 lb. and no longer need the CPAP. I don't stop breathing at all, nor do I snore anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit