Does the idea of a bodyless soul make sense? Could the 'soul' stay sane?

by IronGland 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

Tetrapod this may not be according to an atheist's or evolutionist's understanding (I assumed the person that initiated this topic believes in the soul or angels)but I wrote those things on the basis that there are souls or angelic bodies which have to be made of something and that something is obviously not the same as the stuff making up the human physical body, since we can't see it or touch it.

Since this other unknown substance has never been detected and studied by science it is a mystery and there are still numerous mysteries about the nature of the substance (atoms, quarks etc) that we are made of. Atomic science has only scratched the surface of the atom.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Tetra:

i would prefer to leave the gaps unfilled than to fill them with supernatural OR the promise of science. it just seems we have an obsession with filling the gaps with something.

Nature abhors a vaccum - science tells you that

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

terapd, you said EVERYTHING we measure is physical including energy....

that is not really true

everything we KNOW is mental, a representation of data we dont really know the true source nor the medium and while not likely, it need not originate anywhere beyond your own being.

or as I believe it does not originate beyond our shared passing of data--- many minds sharing a holographic sort of data keeping it all stable

where as our individual minds tend to freewheel in dream worlds dominated by our own thoughts--- but the fact is that you have never known anything which was not manufactured within your own being....and the true nature of that being is basically unknowable as it is not part of anything it has shown us

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene
    Nature abhors a vaccum ...

Aye, and so does my dog!

Reading and listening to people discussing topics like this, it has often seemed to me that one of the fundamental problems is that of language...we try to describe and debate according to the very specific mental constructs within which we function and very often we are talking about the same thing although we label it differently and often we assume, because of the differences in labeling, that we are disagree with each other even when we don't.

~Merry (of the daring to look stupid in public class)

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    terapd, you said EVERYTHING we measure is physical including energy....

well, i said everything we can test is physical, including energy. but i know what you are getting at. i am just wary of the "can't know anything outside of ourselves is real" worldview. for example, the transference of energy when i am hit by a bus while crossing the street is easily observed by myself and others.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    i don't get it? how do you know? how do you know what science cannot figure out?

Science has taken it as far as it can, at this point...........they simply haven't discovered ways of measuring it. And, since you asked, this belief of mine has been garnered thru much reading of every kind of literature.........that along with much deep soul searching (no pun intended) and talking and hearing of fascinating experiences, some of which have already been mentioned in other responses........

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Since this other unknown substance has never been detected and studied by science it is a mystery and there are still numerous mysteries about the nature of the substance (atoms, quarks etc) that we are made of. Atomic science has only scratched the surface of the atom.

hey greendawn,

i can appreciate that. i know there are a lot of mysterious phenomena that occur in the universe. i just always wonder these days, how people can know so much about something that is so mysterious. i guess i am just questioning the source of that knowledge. but each to their own.

Nature abhors a vaccum ...

LT,

indeed. even in trying to leave it empty, i am filling it with something, no?

• Rod P
    Rod P

Tetra,

Very sorry, but something came up in the course of the day, and I have to forego a reply until tomorrow.

Rod P.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Just have to think outside the jw box really to fathom the subject ...

I have a friend who channels an entity ... a bodyless soul ... what great energy!!! Sounds more sane than a lot of humans I know!

Rod, I understand what you are saying and it makes sense. I've been studying about the different vibrational frequencies that you are describing. There are some great books out there that discuss the matter as well. There are some channeled books, too, such as "Ask and You Shall Receive", which I have read and enjoyed ... and learned some wonderful stuff besides!!!

Just remember that the dubs spread a lot of unhealthy lies that rip families and loved ones apart. Religion divides, whereas spirituality unites. That helps me to be accepting and open to new information ... and it feels healthy to me.

Love and light

ESTEE

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    well, i said everything we can test is physical, including energy. but i know what you are getting at. i am just wary of the "can't know anything outside of ourselves is real" worldview. for example, the transference of energy when i am hit by a bus while crossing the street is easily observed by myself and others.

we are talking souls here....and should such beasties actually exist, their experiences of energy being transferred, while as real as any reality will ever get, may still be a personal experience with no necessary connection to anything or anyone else...should others actually exist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit