Does the idea of a bodyless soul make sense? Could the 'soul' stay sane?

by IronGland 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rod P
    Rod P

Tetra,

Thank you for posing those questions. I am in the middle of a work day, so will not be able to get back to you for about another 8 hours or so, and will do so.

Pole,

I hear you.

But on the other hand, how do you explain Savants? How do you explain the gifted people who seem to produce super-human results that you and I can't seem to accomplish? Yet, at the same time, they are operating thru a severely "handicapped" body.

Rod P.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    And I guess objectively you would need to be able to measure the non-physical, and there's a question of how far that can ultimately go even if you can to some extent.

that's just the thing. what is the non-physical? and if it exists, how do we know it does? saying that one feels, and knows it exists, is not good enough. they could just be describing a physical phenomenon that has not been "measured" by science yet.

everything we can test is physical, even energy. so how on earth can we assert that there is a non-physical in any honest and rigorous fashion? in the end, if we experience it, isn't it really physical then? how else could we experience it?

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Well Tetra, experience isn't the cat's meow if you ask me.. There's just being, more immediate.. You've experienced some of that.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

mark,

i agree. we experience through a limited spectrum. i am just wary of thinking we are special conduits to some unknown. i would prefer to leave the gaps unfilled than to fill them with supernatural OR the promise of science. it just seems we have an obsession with filling the gaps with something.

i have no problems "looking inward", if it can be explained as such. it is a beautiful experience, and i don't want to judge it, either way, spiritual or material. of course, these are just labels.

cheers,

TS

• Pole
    Pole
    the obscure reality lurking behind the drug of consciousness

Wow. My left angular gyrus loved that one.

Oh yeah - I wasn't addressing my post to stroke patients. :-) Well, at least I admit that part of "my soul" is hopelessly trapped in my gyrus. LOL.
    Rod P,

But on the other hand, how do you explain Savants? How do you explain the gifted people who seem to produce super-human results that you and I can't seem to accomplish? Yet, at the same time, they are operating thru a severely "handicapped" body.

Interestingly, minor brain damage doesn't have to be bad. Some stroke patients exhibit special artistic skills without suffering any observable side effects. This seems to suggest that you can "tamper with" "the soul" by stimulating the biological brain. Of course it's easier to spoil something than to gain a new talent through a random stroke, but as it has been observed the latter is also possible.
    Pole

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

physical and spiritual are two different planes of existence. the vibrations of "spirit" are higher than those on the physical plane and there are different laws that affect one at those levels of vibration. Just as one cannot see light once it passes into the ultraviolet level, or even sound after it reaches beyond the range of our physical hearing. I have a bad habit of posting my thoughts before I read the entire thread, so if I've duplicated someone else's response forgive me.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Who knows what soul is, it has to be made of some kind of substance unlike the one we have in our bodies about which science knows absolutely nothing. Akin to spirit bodies.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

Sunnygal,

physical and spiritual are two different planes of existence. the vibrations of "spirit" are higher than those on the physical plane and there are different laws that affect one at those levels of vibration.

but, how do you know this?

• Pole
    Pole
    but, how do you know this?

By way of metaphor. It's the left angular gyrus speaking again. LOL :-) Pole

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey greendawn,

you say "who can know", but then you assert that it "has to be made of...".

i don't get it? how do you know? how do you know what science cannot figure out?

sincerely,

TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit