Proof: The Watchtower Lied About College

by metatron 16 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

May 22 1969 Awake

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old

in this present system of things.....

Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school

and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate

into a specialized carrer. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on its way towards its

finish, if not actually gone!"

36 years ago, the Watchtower Society lied.

The Witnesses who believed them are now worrying about retirement.

Don't be a fool and believe what the Watchtower says about college.

They lied then

They're lying now

metatron

• rebel8
    rebel8

That's one of my favorite WTS quotes. It also proves they DID say the end was coming near '75.

What I want to know is why they were still singing the same tune in the '80s when I graduated high school and wasn't allowed to go to college.

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

i left school in 92 and that was still being said but 1975 had long gone, just shows the control they have,

i reg pioneered and cleaned toliets till working in the 'non profit' (yeah right) jah jireh homes, (nursing homes for only witnesses, where you are actually told to miss the conventions etc to serve your brothers!!

i really wish id known it was false back then, i was so proud everytime i cleaned up someones shit, thought i was pleasing God !!

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I really wish id known it was false back then, i was so proud everytime i cleaned up someones shit, thought i was pleasing God !!

Helping others who are in need should never be something to be regretted. You should still be proud of that. Seeing folks in nursing homes who have families that's forgotten them is heartbreaking. If God exists, I'm confident that such actions do please him. Just because your religeious beliefs are no longer what they were is not a good reason to regret the good you have done.

• greendawn
    greendawn

In my ex congo there were three people ( two of them elders) that did really well out of their education at university level, and it was hard to see how they could advise the JWs not to go on to higher education, with their example.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

First time I see this quote. oeps.

Luckely my father never cared (he is/was an elder) and did send me to university. (or allowed me to go)

Heard later that other elders had a talk with them but he kind of told them to f*** off. That was it. I studied and he is still elder.

Danny

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Society misses the point of education. Education is not all about jobs or money. Education is about education. Job skills certainly are taught in universities no question and so is art and music and philosophy.

The best education for me was my vocabulary education. My thinking is limited to my vocabulary and my understanding of my thought language. I can't think of principles and concepts if I don't have the vocabulary to express those principles and concepts. Language and critical thought are my best rewards for my education.

The best news is it's never ending.

I think the mind's like a muscle. If it isn't used it gets weak. By nature, education won't let a brain get weak. Plus, there are principles that apply to disciplines like real estate and the buyer beware axiom for example, that when applied to Witnessism won't fly. The Witnesses say buyer (new recruit) suspend all investigation, pay no attention to past problems.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I hope Quotes has that on his 1975 page....that one's a keeper!

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

The Society misses the point of education. Education is not all about jobs or money. Education is about education. Job skills certainly are taught in universities no question and so is art and music and philosophy. No the society doesn't miss the point. There is nothing more dangerous for religion especially one hold together with lies then education. They know that. They are scared like h*** that people learn to think for themselves.

• CinemaBlend
    CinemaBlend

That quote wasn't just about 1975. My parents were saying that in the 80's, and 90's. They were still saying it when I was working 2 jobs, pioneering, and attending College starting in 1997. They ESPECIALLY said it when I missed a talk on the ministry school because I had my final exams last night. Man, I ended up in a lot of elder's meetings over that.

Them saying that is the main reason I only have a crappy Associates Degree instead of accepting one of the scholarships or student loans I was offered to attend a real school.

Thanks WTBS! You're the reason I'm a failure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit