What Would YOU Do?

by GetBusyLiving 40 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

LittleToe:

Do you ever feel it appropriate to examine people's viewpoints before you attempt to crush them out of existance with a contrary opinion?

I thought I was very careful in this case not to express a "contrary opinion". I posted a link to one that I found interesting and enlightening. I don't see how that could be construed as an attempt to crush someone's viewpoint - I merely made people aware of a different viewpoint which they are free to think about or not, according to their personal preferences.

To be honest, I am not sure where I stand on this issue. While it's clear that everyone in this story acted with the best of intentions and brightened up the day of a disabled child, I am concerned about what will happen the next time Shay(a) wants to play baseball. Will he find playmates who are as willing to ruin their game just to make him feel good? Even if he tries to play with the same children again, won't they eventually tire of pretending to play baseball, when they want to really play? How will Shay(a) feel if he ever realises he is not really a winner, but an object of pity?

I'm curious - does automated cynicism impact the joy of experience, any? Inquiring minds want to know...
    Yes, in the same way that sobriety does. But gullibility and drunkenness usually only have short-term payoffs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit