What Would YOU Do?

by GetBusyLiving 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

it made me cry too, derek i believed it dont ruin things by letting us know it isnt true!

altho it defo wouldnt be true in jw world, the heartlessness shown by the stupid shunning rule proves that!

i wish it were true made me feel loads better ta x

• undercover
    undercover

Good story...thanks.

Reminds me of a pickup football game the 'brothers' used to have years ago. Of course the 'older' guys didn't want the little guys tagging along. They couldn't run fast enough or hit hard enough.

I remember one little boy who hardly ever got to come out and play with the other JWs because of his unbelieving, abusive father. The kid got to play that day, but being young, small and inexperienced the other guys didn't want him on their team. He got 'stuck' on our team and was promptly ignored. I could see the pain and hurt on his face and it hurt me because when I was his age I suffered the same pain. I got to take over as quarterback part way through the game and after breaking huddle each time, I leaned over to the little guy and gave him special instructions just for him. He followed the instructions to the letter each time and pretty soon he became my safety valve when we were being rushed or the pass blocking broke down. The defense ignored him because of his size and age, but as the game wore on, he caught more passes and made more touchdowns than anyone else that day. His face beamed when his mom came to pick him up later. She thanked me later for taking the time to show him attention that no one else would.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Do we pass along a little spark of love and humanity or do we pass up that opportunity, and leave the world a little bit colder in the process?

I always go out of my way to help a stranger. I think we should all do a little something every day to make people realize that the world doesn't have to be a cold place. It can definitely spread to others. I've helped old ladies with their groceries, never turn down the opportunity to give a homeless person some change, and let people in front of me when traffic is heavy. I believe that the smallest of deeds can change the world to some extent (but they apparently don't change the a-hole who doesn't wave when you let them out or say thank you when you hold the door for them). That's discouraging. Coldness can also spread to others. I remember holding the door for a lady who was pushing two strollers and being followed by an older child with a shopping cart. She didn't even acknowledge my existence, yet alone say thank you. Her older child nearly ran into me with the cart and wouldn't even look in my direction. People like her are responsible for all the coldness in the world.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Undercover , very cool.

GBL

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

My thanks GBL!

I understand the editorialist's picque (sp?) over the boys patronizing the little fellow but I hate to castigate kindness even in excess!

W.

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

Oops, I forgot to respond to your question.

Yes, I (and my sibs) would have let him in the game and would have done our best to let him get a ball in play and but would have done our best to get him out by second base! (But I sorta sucked at sports to so I never got overly competitive-fun was more important and as JW kids, we all felt the pain of exclusion at various times and we're still sensitive about it when we observe it in our presence)

W.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    She thanked me later for taking the time to show him attention that no one else would.

undercover,

you're awesome man! you're just the sort of guy i wish i had around on those horrible football games i had to go to when i was a kid. an elder even made me cry once for letting some other brother intercept a pass.

i always strived to be the guy you described here when i got older.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

That is a fantastic story. Is it true? Im willing it to be true, id like to think people could be that big. Id like to think I was that big.

(Katie killjoy says - usually the reason you get those dumb 'pass this onto 10 people' e-mails is because they have been designed to spread viruses n stuff. At least thats what the I.T. guy told me at work, so I never pass them on, and also where am I gonna find 10 friends from?)

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    you're awesome man! you're just the sort of guy i wish i had around on those horrible football games i had to go to when i was a kid. an elder even made me cry once for letting some other brother intercept a pass.

lol Josh, I broke someone's leg at a witness football game!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

And from then on, Shay tried to inject himself into every baseball, basketball, or football game he came across....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit