Has the Watchtower set the date 2034?

by VM44 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

This fader can tell you that 2034 is NOT crossing the lips of any dub, or any other specific year for that matter. I think the WT is milking the Noah parallel (especially the timeframe) as way to kill two birds with one stone. Give an unsaid explanation as to why the Big A hasn't come after all these decades, but still try to rekindle the urgency and belief of the closeness of the end.

I can see some people's point that even as just a hint, thats rather a ways off, but I think its the best they can do without actually setting themselves up for another failed prophecy. And even as just a rough parallel, its better than nothing, since their nixing of the generation removed any useful theoretical endpoints for the dubs that eagerly play those games.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

District Convention talk this weekend on the Days Text of Gen 6 Saturday morning . God set a time limit in Noahs day -of 120 years. We are already 91 years into the time of the end since 1914. So no direct statements but lots of allusion to the date 2034.

• Doom
    Doom

That WT article was actually the day text for a couple of days ago and I read it (yep I do do it now and again but tend to read about 1 weeks worth each go) thinking exactly that, ......THAT IS SURELY A THINLY VEILED HINT AT 2034!!

Either that, or it was VERY poor editing to have the apparent tie in there. The days text for June 11 actually quoted those exact paragraphs and highlights from the paras 6 and 7. NOT very clever I thought. But then to do so again in a days text means it is not an accident of editing, ....but that they ARE stressing that very point I would have thought.

Christ that's depressing.

Doom.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

well, maybe it even is a hint, but if it is, none of the active jws i know got it, only you bad apostates... seems like the r&f got immune to dates. either that or many of them can't calculate because they didn't go to school ;-)

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has conditioned the rank and file to accept certain doctrines at a later time.

Researching 1975, I found that numerous times before 1966 the WTS talked about 6,000 years of human history nearing its end. JWs know that the 1,000 year reign had to come within the 7,000 year long creative day and could do the math. It wasn't until 1966 the WTS really started connecting it to 1975, only 9 years away. It will be interesting to see what the WTS does as it gets within 9 years of 2034.

w50 5/1 p. 136 "Whatever Else You Get, Get Understanding" ***

This understanding has to cut through every human tradition and base, lustful craving that the human creature has been cultivating for the past 6,000 years

w50 9/1 p. 292 Victory over Death ***

To sum up, death has been having its day for nearly 6,000 years. Soon life will have its day forever.

w51 1/1 p. 27 The Christian’s Sabbath ***

Besides, from such sciences as geology it appears that both plant and animal life have been on this earth far more than 6,000 years. Note too that the entire period of creation is referred to as "the day that Jehovah God made earth and heaven". (Gen. 2:4, AS) A day in the Bible is not always 24 hours long; 7,000 years for each of the creative days as well as the rest day is consistent with the Scriptures.—2 Pet. 3:8.

*** w51 5/1 p. 276 Making a Success of Marriage ***

For nearly 6,000 years the institution of matrimony has been in operation.

*** w52 10/15 p. 631 God’s Way Is Love ***

It shows how he has dealt with man for the past 6,000 years, blessing and guiding obedient men up to this present time.

*** w53 7/15 p. 430 Launching the Kingdom Government ***

For nearly 6,000 years, yes, right down to our present generation, Jehovah has allowed Satan to remain to prove his defiant challenge. Satan has failed! Now his time is up!

*** w54 3/1 p. 141 Repairers and Restorers of True Religion ***

It has been slandered and men have made it a treasonable offense to practice it. Indeed, during the nearly 6,000 years of man’s existence on this earth there have been many occasions when true religion hardly survived the terrific onslaughts made against it.

*** w54 3/1 p. 144 Repairers and Restorers of True Religion ***

The enormity of this crime can be understood only when we consider the nearly 6,000 years of sinning, wickedness, sickness, sorrow, suffering and death inflicted on the human race.

*** w54 7/1 p. 390 Why God Permits Evil ***

God has permitted Satan to remain for the past 6,000 years only as Jehovah told Pharaoh, ‘to show you my power and to have my name proclaimed in all the earth

*** w54 8/15 p. 496 The Power of Hope ***

That sublime hope, first disclosed almost 6,000 years

*** w55 2/1 p. 95 Questions from Readers ***

Such then figure that from Adam’s creation, now thought to be the fall of 4025 B.C., why, six thousand years of God’s rest day would be ending in the fall of 1976. However, from our present chronology (which is admitted imperfect) at best the fall of the year 1976 would be the end of 6,000 years of human history for mankind, 6,000 years of man’s existence on the earth, not 6,000 years of Jehovah’s seventh seven-thousand-year period. Why not? Because Adam lived some time after his creation in the latter part of Jehovah’s sixth creative period, before the seventh period, Jehovah’s sabbath, began.

*** w56 8/15 p. 498 Maintaining Integrity ***

For Jehovah will wipe out all worldly nations in his impending war at Armageddon and thereby, at last, after waiting 6,000 years, vindicate his holy name.

*** w60 7/15 p. 422 The Gathering Storm of Armageddon ***

Satan and his demonic and human organization, responsible for 6,000 years of increasing woe, must be destroyed.

*** w61 6/15 p. 378 The Seventh Day—A Sabbath of Rest ***

Since the seventh creative day has proved to be thousands of years in length, nearly 6,000 years having elapsed since Adam’s creation, and since Bible prophecy proves that we are living in the time of the end of this wicked system of things immediately preceding the restful 1,000-year Kingdom reign of Christ, it is reasonable to conclude that this great rest day would be complete with 7,000 years. The 1,000-year reign of Christ would logically be included in this 7,000-year rest day of God. This means the seventh creative day is in itself a week of 1,000-year days. Because Jehovah’s name will be vindicated during this time and his purposes for the earth and for man completely fulfilled, the day is sacred. His blessing of it will be manifested in the 1,000-year reign of the Messiah.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I see others have pulled that December 15 article. I think the message is there, but subtle. One can't have a bunch of betrayed members falling away again, can one? Here's another thread that debated the 2034 date back and forth. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/61661/1.ashx

WT December 15, 2003 - Study Article for January 19-25 "Our Watchfulness Takes on Greater Urgency" pages 14 - 19.

1 "Above all other things, the twentieth century was shaped by war," says author Bill Emmott. ...

2 ...Moral breakdown and increase in crime and violence are evident...All this testifies that we are living in "critical times." - 2 Timothy 3:15-2.

3 How do you view the worsening trend in human affairs"...This requires more than simply acknowledging that we are living in the last days, more than recognizing that times are hard. We must have firm conviction that "the end of al things has drawn close." (1 Peter 4:7) Only then will our watchfulness take on a sense of urgency....

4 Consider the conditions prevailing during the time preceding a one-of-a-kind even in human history - the great Deluge of Noah"s day...

5 It is reasonable to assume that Jehovah feels about the present world as he felt about the pre-Flood world...

6 ...Only 120 years more and Jehovah would bring "the deluge of waters upon the earth to bring to ruin all flesh in which the force of life is active from under the heavens." - Genesis 6:17.

7...What about us" Some 90 years have passed since the last days of this system of things began in 1914. We are certainly in "the time of the end." (Daniel 12:4).. Now is therefore the time to do Jehovah"s will with a keen sense of urgency.

• jula71
    jula71
    My mother thinks it's this year.

Ya, My mom thinks it's this year as well. But she thought it would be last year, the year before that, the year before, the year before that..............

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I f and when they do, it won't be clearly stated - they'll provide the suggestive direction, sop up the opportuned hype, and remain able to blame another, namely the stupid rank and file.

These people are practised in the art of deception - the fact that "you need be as wise as serpents" is no understatement.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

And I can guarantee you that when it doesn't come in 2034 that they society then will say oh yes but remember that they had to wait for the waters to subside another 40 days (day for a year) push the date to 2074 - there will always be an excuse explanation for the big A not coming. They will always view it as a literal ending of mankind. You have to pity them.

• Room 215
    Room 215

I think they have much more to lose than to gain by positing 2034 as The Date to Watch. Firstly, I think they've been chastened by the fallout over 1975 and the change in the ``this generation" interpretation. It's not unlikely that even the densest JW would feel unease and begin to wonder whether it's yet another case of the WTBTS ``crying wolf."

Secondly, 2034 is much too far into the future and is likely to spawn complacency and undermine their campaign to sustain a ``sense of urgency" (remember that 1975 was only 9 years into the future when the 1975 hypothesis was first published) .

It also allows considerable time for dubbies to succumb to the tempation to slow down and ``coast" for awhile before an eleventh-hour jumping back in with both feet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit