Drama at DC in KC

by stillajwexelder 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The college issue was one of the first areas that I could plainly see that they were talking out of both sides of their mouth. Out of one side of their mouth they were saying to get it but out of the other side they were saying not to get it. And they would give unreasonable and unbelievable examples of what they thought a person should do. I would shake my head in disbelief at the unreality of the stupid things they would say!

Years ago while I was still active I remember mentioning to someone that I would never in good conscience bring a kid there. Why, so some idiot could discourage him/her from getting an education and then that kid would hate me when they were older? If you really think about it, they would hate the "truth" and by extension they would hate Jehovah because those are the reasons they didn't get their education. Who is going to pay their bills when they are 40? The idiot who told them not to get an education? The saddest part about this is that the persons in the congregation who are influencing the young and impressionable are persons who are not exactly something to look up to. For instance, you have cases of ones who are some kind of public assistance or other aid and who are not really responsible who are going around influencing certain ones not to get an education. I know of a case in point of a young man who has been influenced to his detriment to drop out of college by certain ones. Sadly, the more responsible e.g. educated/affluent men in the congregation did not associate with him so therefore they had no influence.

To sum it all up: there is no accountability there. Just hypocrisy, bullshit and heads in the sand. If you are related to the right people maybe you'll be okay. For everyone else: let the buyer beware!!!

• rocketman
    rocketman
    was one of the first areas that I could plainly see that they were talking out of both sides of their mouth
    Tell the outsiders one thing in print, but make sure the insiders know better verbally.

These two comments by LHG and RM pretty well sum up my view. There are numerous cases of this stuff happening throughout the jw's history. The rank and file sometimes don't know what to think...too bad they usually don't think for themselves.

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

The GB is losing it. Whoever is in charge must have alzheimers or something, and I am not making light of alzheimers disease, but these people making up all these rules have got to have a screw lose somewhere. It's as if they're reading from a manual called 'how to destroy a cult by driving all the victims out'. The R&F have GOT to be weary of this flip-flop crap.

• JV
    JV

This really gets my goat. One day it's ok to go to college and the other day it's not, GB, hello!!! make up your mind. I hate how they operate. They won't directly come out and say that it's not ok to go to college but they imply it, cowards. They don't even have the balls to come out and make a statement and back it up.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    No the ydid not say NO COLLEGE - bu the drama was all about Timothy not going to Athens for a college education but instead doing full-time ministry. He did this and got praise from Lois and Eunice and the apsotle Paul. So the messsage was strongly No College even though they did not actually say no college

Typical Jdub double speak. This way they can say that the society never said we shouldn't get a collage education but it is obvious what the message they want the rank and file dub to get. They told me the same thing 30 years ago and I put off my education because the end was so near and an education was not need. I am now at a point where it won't be too many more years and I will be retired. My life hasn't been a waste as I took part time studies and have a decent job but no thanks to the WT. It may not be the job of my dreams but I enjoy what I do and it pays well.

Will

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor
    In 1975 they said no college, the end is just months away. That was 30 years ago.

ITA! I remember at my high school graduation party, my mom said, "When you were born ('75) I thought the new system would be here before your first day of Kindergarten!"

She made a similar comment after my wedding (2000)... I wonder if she's started to "get it" yet... but that's doubtful. She's not very bright...

They just keep pushing the date back, like a shady business deal...

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I was there sunday and watched the drama.(left right after).The brother who gave the talk just before the drama and basically explaining it works for a very large mining company who will be around for a very long time.He will also be getting a very good pension long before he is 60 years old.And here he is telling the 18-20 year old crowd not to do like him but to go pionneer and how happy they'll be!!!! I thought what a crock and what hypocrisy.

Another thing I hate is how they equate earning a decent salary with unhappiness and all sorts of tribulations.What stupid reasoning!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I was there sunday and watched the drama.(left right after).The brother who gave the talk just before the drama and basically explaining it works for a very large mining company who will be around for a very long time.He will also be getting a very good pension long before he is 60 years old.And here he is telling the 18-20 year old crowd not to do like him but to go pionneer and how happy they'll be!!!! I thought what a crock and what hypocrisy.

I recall some of the elders at the conventions that gave those talks. A lot of them had well paying executive type jobs, drove nice cars and lived in big beautiful houses telling us young ones to not worry about material things but to go pioneering. They expected others to live on a minimum wage that they themselves wouldn't do.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit