would dubs ever go into field service if there was no record-keeping?

by zagor 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• rambaldi
    rambaldi

Does it matter why? Jesus just requires that his followers do the will of God.

Of course doing it out of love always works better.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Jesus just requires that his followers do the will of God.

1 Cor. 12:27-31: " Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers; then deeds of power, then gifts of healing, forms of assistance, forms of leadership, various kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? But strive for the greater gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way."

Eph. 4:11: " The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers,"

If you actually read the bible, you would know that Jesus gave the commission to preach to the Apostles.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

During the 'Support the Slave' talk at the DC, the speaker, after extolling the virtues of the FDS and GB, how they have taught us the truth about various biblical teachings etc., tagged on this rhetorical question: "Without a clear lead from the Governing Body, would we be as motivated in preaching the good news?" I thought, Do you really know what you are implying here?

Realisticly ... no. It would be like the churches - some would be called to evangelize formally, most wouldn't.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

If you didn't like the field service be glad your not LDS. Let me run you through what I had to do as a missionary and you might just think that the JWs are so laissez-faire in comparison:

2 years missionary work at age 19. Paid for it myself(Ok had help from friends!!!:) (costs about £5000 per missionary).
    On the mission you get up at 6:30 and between then and 9:30 you have to study for two hours (one hour as companion study and 1 hour personal) Out the flat at 9:30 strict, work with 1 hour break for lunch and 1 hour for dinner until 9:30 at night. Dress standards as seen all the time with the exception of PDay (I'll explain that later.) This routine is carried on every day including Sunday (except of course mealtime changes and church attendance.) Every evening you call in to your zone leader and report your figures for the day (discussions, books of Mormon placed, people committed to be baptised etc..) 1 day a week is Pday(preparation day) when up to 6pm you get to do shopping, flat cleaning, sport, letter writing etc.. There are monthly interviews where you discuss your personal worthiness, any problems you have and plan how to be a better missionary.

While a missionary the rules are legion but here's some :
    No calling home except at christmas and mother's day.
    No dating, flirting or one on one time with the opposite sex.
    Can't be out of eyeshot of companion except when in flat , chaperoned or for toilet breaks.
    No contact sports (often ignored!) - definitely no swimming.
    No travel outside of district (for example a church 'parish' boundary) without express permission.
    In bed by 10:30 sharp and up at 6:30.

This is like being in boot camp - it really is intense and disobedience to even the small rules is frowned upon. Some missionaries always break rules but most keep them.

Funny enough I loved it - best and worst time of my life. I would do it again if I could (and no I can't) it was absolutely brilliant. In fact coming home kinda fazed me and I almost drifted away from the church because nothing was intense and 'important' anymore - still I've survived.

• rambaldi
    rambaldi
    If you actually read the bible, you would know that Jesus gave the commission to preach to the Apostles.

If that is true, then how would Matt 24:14 get fulfilled since the apostles would have died off prior to the last days?

And if the commission was given to the apostles only, then there would be no preaching when they died off.

That is the problem, back then they thought like you did and the preaching stopped.

• rambaldi
    rambaldi
    During the 'Support the Slave' talk at the DC, the speaker, after extolling the virtues of the FDS and GB, how they have taught us the truth about various biblical teachings etc., tagged on this rhetorical question: "Without ;a clear lead from the Governing Body, would we be as motivated in preaching the good news?" I thought, Do you really know what you are implying here?

Well, the Baptists are not preaching and their numbers are dwindling.

But they are not preaching the good news. The are merely asking people if they are going to heaven.

So you go to the assembly and talk like that? I'd like to talk to these naysayers at the assemblies.

But hey, they only come here.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    And if the commission was given to the apostles only, then there would be no preaching when they died off.

That is the problem, back then they thought like you did and the preaching stopped.

Well, there you go. Jesus also said that they wouldn't all die before he came back. But, he never came back for them. Being based on lies, christianity should have died then.

Along came paul and his new gospel. W his new spin on jesus' religion, he started what became the catholic church. If the catholic church had not come into being, christianity would probably have died again. You have paul, constantine and the catholic church to thank for your religion.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Qcmbr

That is very intense. As you say, like boot camp. That is the mormon brainwashing process. In the wt, working at bethel is something like that. The difference though, is that at bethel, many become disallusioned when what they see doesn't match what they have been taught. Do some mormons drop out of missionary? Do some stop being mormon after that? Are any actions taken against persons who drop out of missionary, yet want to stay in the church? I do realise that many people enjoy the institutional life, be it religious, military or corporate.

S

• rambaldi
    rambaldi
    1 Cor. 12:27-31: " Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers; then deeds of power, then gifts of healing, forms of assistance, forms of leadership, various kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? But strive for the greater gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way."

Eph. 4:11: ;" The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers,"

This is not Jesus talking here. This is Paul's admonition to the elders. It is stating that not all will be teachers within the congregation. The commision to teach in the congregation was given to the apostles and then the elders. But the scripture you cite is time specific since it speaks of the gifts that will cease.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Satanus - plenty of LDS missionaries drop out and we loose about 1/3rd of returned missionaries who don't get married fairly quickly. If a missionary gives up while on his / her mission they go through a tough time back at church because even though the 'official' church will politely step around it the 'social' church (ie the actual members) will hold a range of thought s about it - most not nice! Being a missionary is a bit of a right of passage and if someone 'fails' it says something about the individual (rightly or wrongly). There is plenty of praise for anyone who makes it though. That said I know of one missionary who flunked and credit due survived the stigma and is now getting married and will potentially be in a responsibility laden church position.

When I was a missionary the Manchester area had 400 missionaries (over 2 years) and we sent home about 5 who broke down under the mental pressure, 3 for dalliances with the opposite sex but ,ost of us saw it through. Each mission has its own character and its funny but ours was the toughest in the UK ( I could tell you some shocking stories!!:), the highest baptising and from what I can tell has the lowest number of returned missionaries leaving the church - maybe there is something in people's psychology that makes them actually perform better when more is required and extra discipline imposed..???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit