The facts on crucifixion, stauros, and the "torture stake"

by Leolaia 175 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

It's interesting though that Rutherford didn't create his stake theory out of thin air, but found some fringe "scholarship" (namely Bullinger and Hislop; Vine I believe published his Expository Dictionary later, around 1940) which could serve his sectarian agenda.

Amusingly one of the sites which has the Companion Bible Appendices has also a page on the Paleo-Hebrew alphabet (http://www.therain.org/know/palheb.html), which shows the cross form of the taw and remarks: "The 22nd letter of the alphabet which looks like a cross, Psalms 22 foretells of the crucifixion and His words on the cross."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

If that comment was in fact written by Bullinger (who wrote the OT appendices), then it would make some sense that Welch was the author of the NT appendix on the "cross", not Bullinger himself.

Here is a problem, btw, for Rutherford:

On page 27, he wrote: "Jesus was crucified, not on a cross of wood, such as exhibited in many images and pictures, and which images are made and exhibited by men; Jesus was crucified by nailing his body to a tree".

So what did Jesus and Simon carry to Golgotha?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    If that comment was in fact written by Bullinger (who wrote the OT appendices), then it would make some sense that Welch was the author of the NT appendix on the "cross", not Bullinger himself.

If you refer to the link I just submitted (on the Paleo-Hebrew taw) I don't think it has anything to do with Bullinger or the Companion Bible. It's a completely different page, without any apparent credit.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ah, I think I misread your comment....tx for the correction....

Here is another interesting WT statement on xulon:

*** w58 8/15 p. 510 Questions from Readers ***

However, this Greek word xylon does not refer to a live tree growing in the ground and producing fruits. For a live, growing fruit-bearing tree the Greeks used another word, namely, dendron, from which we get the English word "dendrology," meaning the science of trees....[yet a few sentences later, they say...] Sometimes because of the wood of which a tree is composed, or which is taken from a tree, even a live tree may be called a xylon.

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Leolaia --

Thanks for the information on Welch --- somehow I missed seeing that message earlier.

And thanks for pulling up the LXX verses with xulon. Given the usage of xulon in Revelation, Luke, and the LXX to refer to a living tree, it seems clear that statement #2 of Appendix 162 in the Companion Bible is incorrect, regardless of whether Bullinger or Welch was the author.

Marjorie

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Okay, I think I just found another big piece of the puzzle. In 1896, John Denham Parsons published the book The Non-Christian Cross (London: Simpkin, et al.), which appears to have directly influenced the Appendix #162 to the Companion Bible (the NT volumes of which were published after Bullinger's death, according to my sources). In fact, there seems to be a little plagiarism involved; in chapter 1, Parsons wrote:

"Now the Greek word which in Latin versions of the New Testament is translated as crux, and in English versions is rendered as cross, i.e., the word stauros, seems to have, at the beginning of our era, no more meant a cross than the English word stick means a crutch. It is true that a stick may be in the shape of a crutch, and that the stauros to which Jesus was affixed may have been in the shape of a cross. But just as the former is not necessarily a crutch, so the latter was not necessarily a cross. What the ancients used to signify when they used the word stauros, can easily be seen by referring to either the Iliad or the Odyssey. It will there be found to clearly signify an ordinary pole or stake without any cross-bar. And it is as thus signifying a single piece of wood that the word in question is used throughout the old Greek classics....It never means two pieces of timber placed across one another at any angle, but always of one piece alone....There is nothing in the Greek of the New Testament even to imply two pieces of timber" (Parsons, The Non-Christian Cross, from chapter 1, "Was the Stauros of Jesus Cross-Shaped?").

Compare with the discussion in the Companion Bible:

"Our English word 'cross' is the translation of the Latin crux; but the Greek stauros no more means a crux than the word 'stick' means a 'crutch'. Homer uses the word stauros of an ordinary pole or stake, or a single piece of timber. And this is the meaning and usage of the word throughout the Greek classics.... It should be noted, however, that these five references of the Bible to the execution of Jesus as having been carried out by his suspension upon either a tree or a piece of timber set in the ground, in no wise convey the impression that two pieces of wood nailed together in the form of a cross is what is referred to. Moreover, there is not, even in the Greek text of the Gospels, a single intimation in the Bible to the effect that the instrument actually used in the case of Jesus was cross-shaped" (Companion Bible, Appendix #162).

Of course, we don't know if Parsons may have been the author of the Companion Bible piece, but there is a clear literary relationship between the two texts. Parsons' book is also significant because he makes several claims later repeated by the Society. It seems that Parsons was the source of the Society's claim that Livy used crux to mean only "stake":

"It is therefore noteworthy that even this Latin word 'crux,' from which we derive our words 'cross' and 'crucify,' did not in ancient days necessarily mean something cross-shaped, and seems to have had quite another signification as its original meaning. A reference, for instance, to the writings of Livy, will show that in his time the word crux, whatever else it may have meant, signified a single piece of wood or timber; he using it in that sense" (Parsons, The Non-Christian Cross, from chapter 2, "The Evidence of Minucius Felix").

Interestingly, Parsons gives in a footnote a citation of Livy, indicating that he is referring to "Livy, xxviii. 29". But this is the text I quoted earlier in which Livy used palus, not crux, to refer to the instrument: "Bound to a stake (deligati ad palum) they were scouraged and beheaded" (28.29.11). I don't know where Parsons got the mistaken idea that Livy was using the word crux here; the word crux does appear in 28.37, but this relates an altogether different event sometime later by a different individual (the Carthaginian general Mago, whereas 28.29 concerned the Roman general Scipio). So this looks like a mistake made by Parsons that was picked up by the WTS and repeated ad nauseum.

Parsons also quotes Lucian to support his position, tho a different passage than the one cited by the WTS:

The side light thrown upon the question by Lucian is also worth noting. This writer, referring to Jesus, alludes to "That sophist of theirs who was fastened to a skolops;" which word signified a single piece of wood, and not two pieces joined together.

This is a citation from De Morte Peregrini, but what Parsons does not seem to realize is that the verb anaskolopizoó in the text he quotes is the same one used in Lis Consonantium, 12 to refer to the crucifixion of people on a two-beamed stauros.

There are also other dubious statements. Here is an argument from silence that is quite unreasonable:

Had there been any such intimation in the twenty-seven Greek works referring to Jesus, which our Church selected out of a very large number and called the "New Testament," the Greek letter chi, which was cross-shaped, would in the ordinary course have been referred to; and some such term as Katà chiasmon, "like a chi," made use of.

There is no compelling reason to necessarily expect such a comparison; whereas other writings dating to the time when books of the NT were still under composition (such as Barnabas) do compare the stauros to the Greek letter tau.

The author frequently intimates that Constantine played a dominant role in introducing the cross and even claims that crux simplex remained the primary meaning of stauros through the Middle Ages:

Even as late as the Middle Ages, the word stauros seems to have primarily signified a straight piece of wood without a cross-bar.

The author seems to also have no idea that the word crux clearly referred to a two-beamed cross in Plautus and Seneca.

The full text of this book can be found at this website:

http://members.cox.net/srice1/books/parsons/parsons.htm

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

This thread just keeps getting better! I'm especially enjoying all the links being spotted between different works (sharp eyes) and how they likely shaped this old WT/Rutherford doctrine. Thanks all for another great installment.

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Leolaia --

I recently noticed something very interesting about the society's online version of the blood brochure, "How Can Blood Save Your Life?".

Earlier in this thread, you asked me to post the picture from page 7 of the brochure. The credits say it is a painting by Gérôme, 1883, courtesy of Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. (This is the painting of early Christian martyrs being crucified on two-beamed crosses, not stakes, in the arena.)

Kwin previously scanned the whole page:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/file/6290104D-7BAE-497B-97FB-9B351C748338.ashx

Anyway, I was looking at the article as it appears on the official WTS website:

http://www.watchtower.org/library/hb/article_01.htm

http://www.watchtower.org/library/hb/index.htm?article=article_02.htm

I noticed that the picture of the painting by Gérôme is not there. I went back and compared the list of credits in the article from my 2001 Watchtower Library CD, and it seems that none of the other pictures is missing.

For instance, if you look at Kwin's scan of page 7, you'll see that below the picture of the Christian martyrs, further down on the same page, there is a picture of a unit of blood hanging on a hospital IV. The online brochure has the picture of the unit of blood hanging from the IV, but they omitted the painting of the Christian martyrs.

I am guessing that they decided the picture of the Christian martyrs hanging on crosses was too embarrassing to leave in. I note that they say the brochure was published in 1990, but they don't mention that the online version has been altered.

Regards,

Marjorie

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks to a "little help from my friends", I have been able to put up scans of some of my original sources on the web. Please take a look at the evidence here:

http://site257.webhost4life.com/umcare/crux/

Let me know if you find this helpful!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Your study of the cross vs. stake is important, Leolaia. The WT use superficial arguments like these to discredit the rest of "Christendom Churches", but if you call a JW on it, all of a sudden the matter of stake vs cross becomes insignificant.

I am in awe of your work and that of alleymom. You have provided your references and scans in a format that a JW could not possibly weasel out of.

Where's "scholar"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit