Ignorant Dub Friend Just Don't Get It

by GetBusyLiving 27 Replies latest jw friends

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Man I spent two and a half hours chatting with a dub friend of mine about how messed up the WTBTS is. I explained to him that I'm agnostic too. It was soo frustrating, he just couldn't get it. He sat there and tried to offer up a few canned answers that were so funny. It was like talking to somebody with a mental handicap. I found it really hard to not get frustrated with him. At the end of the conversation he was just like, "You are never going to be able to get over the idea of Armageddon, and you'll always doubt yourself." I just told him that he has no idea where I'm at right now spiritually or how foolish his statement really seemed to me. I can't believe how much of a DUBass he was being. I mean if someone gave me the info I was giving him while I was a Jobo I would have been grateful and looked into it further. It was so infuriating, and downright scary too.

GBL

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

80% of the people are just plain stupid, and are not able to communicate. Mostly because they do not understand what you say or do not listen.

p.s. inside the JW-org it is maybe around 90%

This happens all the time it is really frustrating. What sometimes helps is to say something shocking...

• rebel8
    rebel8

I used to give the canned, stupid answers too when people challenged my beliefs in FS. I thank my lucky stars for them. Although I never let on they were opening my eyes, they really were. Hopefully that will happen to your friend too. Ya never know.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    DUBass

LOL! never heard that one before. must add it to my arsenal.

well GBL, it's great that you still have the odd wit that is willing to talk with you. that's more than a lot of us have. and you are doing a good thing by not being PC with him. he might as well hear it from you, lord knows he's not going to hear it anywhere else.

i think that dubs that are not totally under mind control, and have some dissonance going on, will still offer up canned answers. the thing we can't know for sure is if they go away and think about it. or if six months down the road, some elder treats them like crap, and they remember what you told them.

keep up the "good work" (intentional use of old wit cliche),

TS

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

when i DA'd myself, i was so surprised when my best friend came over to share a couple of scotches, and talk about everything. he was so open minded and liberal about it, almost worldly. i really thought i had made him think, and was thankful to be able to tell him where i was at. but then a couple of weeks later, he emailed me to tell me to forget the friendship because of the situation. so, even the best of the wits take time. they revert back to the denial, and move on. they have to be ready to do it. hopefully he will someday.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

He's one of those guys that would constantly complain about how shitty he's being treated in the hall, too. He does the whole jay-dub stint deal every few months, then drops off the face of the earth. He doesnt have the courage to challenge his belifes yet. I just wanted to help set him free of the drudgery of witness mind control and stuff. Since I've done everything I can now, its up to him.

GBL

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Been there done that. I know exactly how frustrating it is. Sadly, it's not only the JW's that do this. I found Born Agains to be just as bad.

• blondie
    blondie

When I went to AA/Al-Anon, we learned how people lived (how we had lived) in the land of Denial. Women would tell me how people would try to help their family, point out that the husband was an alcoholic, and all they could do was make excuses. One woman told our group that it wasn't until their family was in a car accident (caused by the husband) and their youngest son was killed, that she finally got it, gathered up the remaining children and left him.

JWs live in that same land. Hopefully, they won't have to lose a child to wake up.

Blondie

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Same canned spam b.s.

It because they are trying to anticipate the "conversation stoppers" and not really listening.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I think EF hit it right on--they are too busy thinking about a good JW answer and not really hearing the information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit